PDA

View Full Version : Undying light lock + dragon sorc?

Spacehamster
2017-01-11, 09:40 AM
Anyone actually tried 1-2 undying light lock 18-19 dragon disciple sorcerer? Double CHA on fire spells sounds really powerful but curious if anyone built and played one and how it worked out in practice?

jaappleton
2017-01-11, 09:48 AM
It doesn't begin stacking until Sorc 6 / UL Warlock 1, but IMO it's very well worth it.

Although when / if the UL Warlock ever sees a proper print release and is made official, I highly doubt that it'll grant +Cha to Fire & Radiant at lv1. It's far too strong of a feature when you consider multiclassing. Quickened Firebolts for (2d10 + 8)*2 per round for 1 SP is kinda crazy. 36 damage from the back row via cantrips at lv7.

Now, don't get me wrong; Other classes can outperform that. Sharpshooter + Crossbow Expert, for example, but that has the penalty to attack rolls, though that can be a bit offset with things like Bless. But that's using more feats and resources than just Quickening for 1 SP.

Spacehamster
2017-01-11, 09:51 AM
It doesn't begin stacking until Sorc 6 / UL Warlock 1, but IMO it's very well worth it.

Although when / if the UL Warlock ever sees a proper print release and is made official, I highly doubt that it'll grant +Cha to Fire & Radiant at lv1. It's far too strong of a feature when you consider multiclassing. Quickened Firebolts for (2d10 + 8)*2 per round for 1 SP is kinda crazy. 36 damage from the back row via cantrips at lv7.

Now, don't get me wrong; Other classes can outperform that. Sharpshooter + Crossbow Expert, for example, but that has the penalty to attack rolls, though that can be a bit offset with things like Bless. But that's using more feats and resources than just Quickening for 1 SP.

Thought quicken were 2SP? In theory it sounds to me like, awesome sure but also delays spell progression and sorc points and very one trick pony, blast blast blast away gently down the stream. :)

jaappleton
2017-01-11, 10:04 AM
I might be confusing the cost of Twin and Quicken. AFB at the moment.

While it does slow down spell progression, and it becomes a bit of a blasty blast one trick pony... well, a Warlock itself it. And having a Cantrips so powerful that it can be stronger than utilizing some actual spells can be a great thing.

Do the math on using this build and when it gets the Blight spell, and the damage Quickened Firebolt would do. And compare that VS the spell cost of actually casting Blight and its spell slot.

It's closer than you might think.

xyianth
2017-01-11, 10:52 AM
The only issue I have with that is the 2x cha bonus still gets outclassed by 2x agonizing repelling eldritch blasts. 2x 2d10+8 vs 4x 1d10+4 + 10' knockback at level 7. At level 11 it becomes 2x 3d10+10 vs 6x 1d10+5 + 10' knockback. At level 17 it becomes 2x 4d10+10 vs 8x 1d10+5 + 10' knockback.

It does grant the extra damage on other spells of course, but I personally find blasting with real spells to be a waste of time as a sorcerer.

jaappleton
2017-01-11, 10:56 AM
The only issue I have with that is the 2x cha bonus still gets outclassed by 2x agonizing repelling eldritch blasts. 2x 2d10+8 vs 4x 1d10+4 + 10' knockback at level 7. At level 11 it becomes 2x 3d10+10 vs 6x 1d10+5 + 10' knockback. At level 17 it becomes 2x 4d10+10 vs 8x 1d10+5 + 10' knockback.

It does grant the extra damage on other spells of course, but I personally find blasting with real spells to be a waste of time as a sorcerer.

The math is the math. Though I do personally much prefer the standard spell style over the Warlock's short rest casting.

xyianth
2017-01-11, 11:06 AM
The math is the math. Though I do personally much prefer the standard spell style over the Warlock's short rest casting.

warlock 2/sorcerer 18 can still do full powered quickened eldritch blast spam. And in fact does it even better than a pure warlock that can't quicken.

Spacehamster
2017-01-11, 11:32 AM
warlock 2/sorcerer 18 can still do full powered quickened eldritch blast spam. And in fact does it even better than a pure warlock that can't quicken.

Eldritch blast as cantrip and +10 on normal fire spells then and you get the best of both worlds. :)

Byke
2017-01-11, 06:15 PM
+ 10 of fire spells is good, but with the errata to scorching rays (which is silly considering EB/AB) it can't really be abused aside from niche specs like 2pal/1lock/6sorc quickening GFB and then casting with GFB.