PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Forsaker (3.5 Update) (Prestige Class)

LoyalPaladin
2017-01-11, 01:33 PM
This is a bit of a mix between a 3.5 update and a rework. Not a lot changed and I didn't add any class features. But a few abilities saw some touch ups, some typos were fixed, and the class saw one or two quality of life buffs.

Things of note: the damage reduction saw a pretty hefty nerf until 10th level, some abilities were shifted levels, and the fast healing ability was buffed. Magic Destruction was changed from something self-destructive to something useful and thematic.

Forsaker
http://i.imgur.com/a3N3KtK.jpg?1 (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/tank-knight)
"He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would achieve much must sacrifice much; he who would attain highly must sacrifice greatly."
James Allen

Requirements
Feats: Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Special: The character must once have been the victim of a magical attack that seriously wounded him or have undergone the *Rite of Forsaking. He must also sell or give away all his magic items (including magic weapons, armor, and potions) and renounce the use of any spellcasting and spell-like abilities he previously used.

*The Rite of Forsaking is a ritual costing 100xp per character level or 1,000 gp. This strips a spellcaster of his spellcasting abilities, but not his character levels that have already been invested into a spellcasting class. If the Rite of Forsaking would remove all spellcasting class levels, the ritual fails and any gold spent on it is still lost.

Hit Die
d12

Class Skills
The forsaker's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Table: Forsaker

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Class Features

1st
+1
+2
+2
+2
Ability Boost +1, Spell Resistance, Forsake Magic

2nd
+2
+3
+3
+3
Ability Boost +1, Damage Reduction 3/Magic, Fast Healing 1

3rd
+3
+3
+3
+3
Ability Boost +1, Natural Weapons

4th
+4
+4
+4
+4
Ability Boost +1, Damage Reduction 6/Magic, Fast Healing 2

5th
+5
+4
+4
+4
Ability Boost +1, Tough Defense

6th
+6
+5
+5
+5
Ability Boost +1, Damage Reduction 9/Magic, Fast Healing 3

7th
+7
+5
+5
+5
Ability Boost +1, Slippery Mind

8th
+8
+6
+6
+6
Ability Boost +1, Damage Reduction 12/Magic, Fast Healing 4

9th
+9
+6
+6
+6
Ability Boost +1, Magic Destruction

10th
+10
+7
+7
+7
Ability Boost +1, Damage Reduction 15/Epic, Fast Healing 5

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Forsakers gain no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Forsake Magic:
In addition to avoiding all use of spellcasting, spell-like abilities, and magic items, the forsaker must also refuse any benefits from others' magic, including magical healing. Thus, he must attempt a saving throw against any spell that allows one. For most beneficial spells, such displacement or neutralize poison, a successful save negates the spell's effects; for a cure spell, it halves the benefit.

Ability Bonus (Ex):
Beginning at 1st level, the character gains a +1 inherent bonus to any desired ability score for each forsaker level.

Spell Resistance (Ex):
At 1st level, the forsaker gains spell resistance equal to 5 + his character level.

The forsaker's spell resistance improves to 10 + his character level at 5th level and it improves to 15 + his character level at 10th level. This stacks with any other applicable spell resistance he has.

Fast Healing (Ex):
Forsakers regain hit points at an exceptionally fast rate. At 2nd level, the forsaker gains Fast Healing 1. This ability works like the fast healing ability described in the introduction of the Monster Manual and it improves by 1 at every even class level.

Damage Reduction (Ex):
At 2nd level, the forsaker gains damage reduction 3/Magic. This damage resistance rises by 3 for every two forsaker levels he gains thereafter, eventually becoming damage reduction 15/Epic at 10th level.

If the forsaker has damage reduction from any other source, it stacks, but it retains the forsaker's damage reduction type. For example, a 7th level barbarian with 10 levels in forsaker would have damage reduction 16/Epic.

Natural Weapons (Ex):
Beginning at 3rd level, the forsaker can fight as though he and his weapon were one. Any weapon he uses functions as if it were a natural weapon for overcoming damage reduction (see Damage Reduction in the introduction of the Monster Manual). That is, if the forsaker has damage reduction 3/Magic, any weapon he uses functions as if it were a magic weapon for overcoming a foe's damage reduction.

Tough Defense (Ex):
At 5th level, a forsaker gains a natural armor bonus equal to his Constitution bonus (if any).

Slippery Mind (Ex):
At 7th level, the forsaker can wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel him. if he fails his saving throw against an enchantment effect, he can attempt his saving throw again 1 round later. He gets only one extra chance to succeed at his saving throw.

Magic Destruction (Ex):
At 9th level, whenever a forsaker attacks a magic item he deals double damage. This does not stack with the benefits of the Great Sunder feat.

Ex-Forsakers
Forsakers can multiclass normally, as long as they continue to abide by the strictures of the prestige class. Any forsaker who willingly violates those strictures by using magic items or casting spells loses all special abilities of the prestige class and can progress no further as a forsaker. If he thereafter remains pure (uses no magic) for a period of a year and a day, his abilities are reinstated at their previous levels and he may once again progress in the prestige class.

Snowbluff
2017-01-11, 02:20 PM
Spell resistance should be 10+ spell level. We're had this discussion before!

Is great sunder a feat? It should be improved sunder. Who users great sunder?

I still prefer dr/- or dr/cold iron.

Is calling this peach okay? I thought that meant it has been independently approved.

LoyalPaladin
2017-01-11, 02:26 PM
Is great sunder a feat? It should be improved sunder. Who users great sunder?
Innit from a Psionics book?

I still prefer dr/- or dr/cold iron.
I know it's not a huge power boost to have DR/- instead of DR/Epic. I dunno. Maybe I'll switch it eventually.

Is calling this peach okay? I thought that meant it has been independently approved.
Force of habit.

Hamste
2017-01-11, 03:00 PM
How does the Dr work? It starts of as magic and just ends as epic? No improving in type in between?

Overall it seems kind of weak. Unlike the orginal the spell resistance in this one doesn't stack (which in my eyes was the main draw of the original as what amounted to spell resistance immunity seemed like a cool ability) though it appears it does grow with character levels which is a nice touch and you didn't really add any thing to make it better versus mages in an edition with some of the strongest magic prestiege classes. It seems like the kind of prestiege class that if you are updating really needs some more changes to it to keep up with other prestiege classes.

LoyalPaladin
2017-01-11, 04:10 PM
How does the Dr work? It starts of as magic and just ends as epic? No improving in type in between?
It could, but I tried to stay really close to the source so I could say this was basically and update. I felt like Forsaker moved to combat the non-magical... I dunno.

Overall it seems kind of weak. Unlike the orginal the spell resistance in this one doesn't stack (which in my eyes was the main draw of the original as what amounted to spell resistance immunity seemed like a cool ability) though it appears it does grow with character levels which is a nice touch and you didn't really add any thing to make it better versus mages in an edition with some of the strongest magic prestiege classes. It seems like the kind of prestiege class that if you are updating really needs some more changes to it to keep up with other prestiege classes.
The class isn't astounding. But it's cool. The SR doesn't feel like it's missing much, but I'll add in a clause to cover the stacking. Although what non-magical ways of getting SR are there?

Hamste
2017-01-11, 06:09 PM
Your race or tattooed monk are two ways to get it. There may be a few other prestige classes that do it in a reasonable time frame as well.

LoyalPaladin
2017-01-11, 07:44 PM
Your race or tattooed monk are two ways to get it. There may be a few other prestige classes that do it in a reasonable time frame as well.
Holy smokes. It's been years since I thought about tatooed monk...