PDA

View Full Version : Hiding vs Sneaking: A reinterpretation

Garresh
2017-01-11, 01:41 PM
Since 5e was released, there has been some ongoing confusion as to the nature of hiding. The rules as written make a few key statements:

Hiding is an action.
You cannot hide while being seen.
You cannot hide unless you have at least light obscurement.
You cannot hide while making noise.

The thing is, this system in no way clarifies what exactly "sneaking" is. We know how hiding works. You hide behind some form of cover or concealment, and you hide as an action. But with regards to sneaking, there is basically no clear trend as to how it works. As written, it is impossible to sneak behind someone if you don't have some cover, even if they are facing the other direction, because the concept of "direction" doesn't exist. Classic fantasy scenes of slipping behind a guard are impossible. Likewise, guerilla warfare and combat are mechanically impossible, as movement without cover is not adequately defined.

This ambiguity is further amplified because does sneaking require an additional hide action on every turn? If you move around while concealed, is your action spent hiding again, or maintaining stealth? Does a rogue thief have to spend their action hiding, then sneak at half speed to get advantage, lowering their sneak speed to a mere 15 feet? These questions were never answered, and were intentionally left vague with a handwaving of "ask your DM". But if the DM and players have no concept of what the intent was to begin with, its hard to make any accurate judgments. As a result of all this, pretty much every table runs these mechanics drastically differently, to the point that a single skill(and classes that utilize that skill better) can fluctuate in power wildly.

So I'd like to put forward a loose reinterpretation and clarification of how these mechanics work, with the intention of not directly contradicting RAW in any way, but still allowing fun and interesting gameplay. Here are the new rules:

Hiding: An action which is taken to transition you from "Observed" to "Hidden". Hiding requires at least some concealment, and you cannot hide while directly seen.

Moving while Hidden: While "Hidden", you can move at normal speed without needing to use your action to hide again. Every round that you move while hidden, you must make another Stealth roll. If you use actions or bonus actions as movements, you only need to make the roll once for that round. Once you are hidden, you can move without requiring concealment or cover so long as you and the people you are hiding from are not engaged in combat. The assumption is you are moving while they are looking the other way. However, this may be subject to(and is designed to be) subject to additional restrictions depending on circumstances. If two guards are facing each other having a conversation, your DM may rule that you cannot sneak without concealment. A crowd of NPCs may provide concealment, but not if you're dressed differently. Regardless, the base function of "sneaking" is that you CAN sneak without needing concealment, without using an action, so long as you are not in combat.

Moving while Hidden in Combat: In combat, you can move at normal speed while hidden, as a move action. However, if at any point you lose concealment to the target, you are immediately "observed" and cannot must take the Hide action before you can resume sneaking again.

[New Action] Roll Between Cover: As an action(or bonus action for rogues with Cunning Action), you may move a distance up to half your movement speed(rounded down) without needing to maintain concealment, so long as you end the roll with partial concealment or cover to the target. If you have not yet moved that round, you will need to roll a Stealth check, but this is the same roll used for moving while hidden, which only needs to be rolled once per turn.

[New Restriction] Attacking While Hidden In Combat: If you attempt to attack from concealment, while you are hidden, you do not benefit from the Hidden status if you were last seen at your current location. Essentially, you cannot keep hiding behind a tree firing crossbow bolts at an enemy and expect them not to catch on. You can't even do it once if they saw you hide there. However, you may hide behind a thick tree, climb up 30 feet, and then peer out and fire down to benefit from the Hidden trait for that attack. Or you could hide between a hedge row, and sneak along the outside before popping your head up some 20-30 feet away to benefit from hidden.

Conclusion: Other than the "Roll Between Cover" action and the restriction on attacking while hidden, everything here seems to be loosely suggested by the current stealth rules. Furthermore, these changes codify a more consistent concept of stealth, which prevents the "whack a mole" abuse seen in some games, and the "I move 15 feet every round" stealth rules in other games. Out of combat, stealth is significantly easier, because the people you are hiding from are not particularly aware. But in combat, you can still hide or sneak so long as you don't mind spending an action AND a move to set up a hidden attack. The opportunity cost is high of course, but it still feels reasonable.

Tanarii
2017-01-11, 01:58 PM
Since 5e was released, there has been some ongoing confusion as to the nature of hiding. The rules as written make a few key statements:

Hiding is an action.
You cannot hide while being seen.
You cannot hide unless you have at least light obscurement.
You cannot hide while making noise.
Actually:
The DM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding.
Hiding lasts until discovered or stop trying to hide, using the same check.
You can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly.
As you note, you can't make noise.
If a creature is distracted in combat, you might be able to come out from hiding and approach it and still get advantage, at the DM's discretion.
(All in Chapter 7, Using Ability Scores.)

Also, Hide is an action in combat. (Chapter 9 Combat)

I was sure I had the rules for cover/concealment etc and qualified you for hiding all figured out. But the answer is, as another poster pointed out over and over again in several threads: The DM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding. Said poster backed this up as an intentional design feature by posting a video interview with Mearls.

It's completely reasonable to assume this applies to any form of using the Stealth skill, such as 'sneaking'.

Edit: In other words, the designers didn't try to codify it, because (to paraphrase Mearls) that results in silly edge cases all over the place. They just left it as DM judgement for any given situation on purpose. And I totally understand that's not a satisfactory answer to many posters. :smallwink:

Garresh
2017-01-11, 02:12 PM
Actually:
The DM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding.
Hiding lasts until discovered or stop trying to hide, using the same check.
You can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly.
As you note, you can't make noise.
If a creature is distracted in combat, you might be able to come out from hiding and approach it and still get advantage, at the DM's discretion.
(All in Chapter 7, Using Ability Scores.)

Also, Hide is an action in combat. (Chapter 9 Combat)

I was sure I had the rules for cover/concealment etc and qualified you for hiding all figured out. But the answer is, as another poster pointed out over and over again in several threads: The DM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding. Said poster backed this up as an intentional design feature by posting a video interview with Mearls.

It's completely reasonable to assume this applies to any form of using the Stealth skill, such as 'sneaking'.

Edit: In other words, the designers didn't try to codify it, because (to paraphrase Mearls) that results in silly edge cases all over the place. They just left it as DM judgement for any given situation on purpose. And I totally understand that's not a satisfactory answer to many posters. :smallwink:

Yeah. Those whole discussion was more with regards to "sneaking" than "hiding". Basically the hiding is pretty reasonable to understand, because it has guidelines and also allows for DM fiat(as it should be with something as nebulous as hiding). It's just I've played in games DM'd by 4 different people since 5e came out, as well as talking with people online and off about how its run in other groups. In every case, the moving while hidden part is completely different at EVERY table, to the point of causing ridiculous fluctuations in power and enjoyment.

Certain builds or notions may be unplayable, or outright broken, depending on who's behind the DM screen. This is by no means an attempt to override DM judgement, and I tried to make clear in all cases the DM fiat should be the main thing here. I just wanted to give some damn guidelines on how movement while stealthed should work. Because it's *so* vague right now. I mean depending on the table, moving while hidden would require an action, or be impossible.

One table required you to use an action to hide again any turn you sneaked, so you'd move 30 feet while using your action and move. Another just didn't let you sneak at all in combat. Still others basically said that because the hiding rules require you to have concealment, you cannot sneak out of combat without cover. The sheer ambiguity of stealthy movement has been a long source of frustration for me as a big stealth gamer. So I'm trying to lay out a simple framework of shared notions of how stealth "should" work. Then we can all at least agree to deviate from that shared starting point together, without misunderstanding where we stand.

Tanarii
2017-01-11, 02:41 PM
Fair enough. I can tell you how I run it:
If you might be detected by any means out of combat while trying to sneak, roll Stealth vs passive perception. Unless it's obviously automatic or no chance, which is my judgement call*.

If you try to sneak up on someone with purpose of trying to ambush them, that's an attempt to get surprise. Determine via Stealth vs Passive Perception as normal.

If someone is looking for you and you've already beat their passive perception, then they roll against your previous result. If they look for you and for some reason they didn't get passive before, it's an opposed roll.

(*I'm pretty sure it's this little part right here where you're getting hung up on table variation. :smallbiggrin:)

Garresh
2017-01-11, 02:44 PM
Fair enough. I can tell you how I run it:
If you might be detected by any means out of combat while trying to sneak, roll Stealth vs passive perception. Unless it's obviously automatic or no chance, which is my judgement call*.

If you try to sneak up on someone with purpose of trying to ambush them, that's an attempt to get surprise. Determine via Stealth vs Passive Perception as normal.

If someone is looking for you and you've already beat their passive perception, then they roll against your previous result. If they look for you and for some reason they didn't get passive before, it's an opposed roll.

(*I'm pretty sure it's this little part right here where you're getting hung up on table variation. :smallbiggrin:)

Essentially, yeah. I've seen those same scenarios run about 8 different ways, and we're not talking small differences. Everything from "You can't" to Roll stealth every 30 feet, to roll vs active, to roll vs passive, and so on and so forth. It's definitely not fun if you spend a round setting up to get into position for a flank or maneuver only to realize you can't a round or two later, and you've wasted time or resources due to a misunderstanding of how certain things work.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-11, 02:50 PM
Sneaking is a form of stealth. So it's all DM fiat, as per the intention of the (lack of) rules on stealth.
And for the record, I'm the guy T was referring to who kept posting the video all over the place any time the subject was raised.

Garresh
2017-01-11, 03:20 PM
Sneaking is a form of stealth. So it's all DM fiat, as per the intention of the (lack of) rules on stealth.
And for the record, I'm the guy T was referring to who kept posting the video all over the place any time the subject was raised.

Yeah I gotcha. I'm just the sort of guy who has no problems questioning a dev's decisions if I disagree. I respect Mearls, but this is one of the few sticking points for me in 5e. I have very few such criticisms, but eh.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-11, 03:41 PM
Here's the vid, in case you're interested.
If I recall, the stealth discussion was somewhere around ten minutes in.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-on-the-road/9672-Interview-with-Dungeons-and-Dragons-Lead-Designer-Mike-Mearls