PDA

View Full Version : Finally get to play a Goblin! Here's my character.

Snig
2017-01-11, 02:27 PM
https://s29.postimg.org/hjk2rhiev/poog_of_zarongel3.png

NAME: Snig the Axe
HEIGHT: 3'4"
WEIGHT: 45 lb.
EYES: Yellow
SKIN: Yellow
HAIR: None

ALIGNMENT Chaotic Neutral
DEITY Mielikki

Class: Ranger
BACKROUND: Ratcatcher

PERSONALITY TRAITS
You like being alone, scouting ahead. That way no one can be mean to you.
I can often be seen whispering into my pockets, conversing with the various critters I keep there.

IDEALS
I can catch and release the rats into their own habitat (or keep them as pets), that way they don't have to die.

BONDS
A kind Dwarf once took me in and sheltered me. He saw me as more then just a vile creature and for that I am grateful.

FLAWS
Sometimes I accidentally forget to feed my pets, or squish them by mistake.

CHARACTER DESCRIPTION
Snig is a skiddish looking yellow-skinned Goblin, with wolfish yellow eyes. His physique is lean and hard standing roughly three and a half feet tall and weighing in just under 50 lbs. Despite his small stature, he is surprisingly strong.

His armor is a patchwork of rusty chainmail, worn over dirty leathers, topped off with a dented pot helm. Snig's most prized possession is his raccoon pelt cloak (tail intact), which he wears with pride.

Crudely sewn into his leathers and cloak are many pockets in which Snig stores all manner of trinket's and critters. His current favorite pet and close friend is "King Lickybum", a giant toad which Snig keeps in a jar, never far from his reach. When stressed out or anxious, Snig has been know to lick his toad's back, giving himself a sense of fearlessness and focus.

Snig is armed with a finely made Dwarven battleaxe (a gift from his employer Gundren Rockseeker), a crossbow, as well as a crude skinning knife.

Aside from all this, Snig carries a leather backpack, stuffed with all his adventuring supplies. Fastened too it is 50 ft of hempen rope, the biggest bear trap you've ever seen and a small iron cage for catching and housing critters.

I hope you like him. I played our first session last night with him and he was so much fun!

pangoo209
2017-01-11, 02:42 PM
Your character's personality seems somewhat Of Mice and Men esque. I think that the character and the concept behind it are definitely interesting. I like the choice of ranger especially, it fits pretty well with the small animal loving and such.

Can we see the Ability scores? It seems like a cool character for sure, I can tell you really thought it out :smallsmile:

John Coake
2017-01-11, 03:17 PM
Certainly can see this as an enjoyable character to have in a party. I played a Goblin once, though it was for a 3.5e campaign, and wasn't exactly a 100% original creation...
Okay, I won't lie, It was Redcloak from OOTS
But anyway, this is a great character, and I'd be interested to see how much the mechanics play off of the rest of it.

EvilAnagram
2017-01-11, 03:20 PM
Isn't that one of the commanders from Tyranny of Goblins?

Snig
2017-01-11, 03:26 PM
Your character's personality seems somewhat Of Mice and Men esque. I think that the character and the concept behind it are definitely interesting. I like the choice of ranger especially, it fits pretty well with the small animal loving and such.

Can we see the Ability scores? It seems like a cool character for sure, I can tell you really thought it out :smallsmile:

Thanks for the kind words! We used the standard array for ability scores and although not optimal I wanted to keep with my character concept. These are not set in stone, and I have till next session to change anything I don't like.

So I plan on playing a Beast Conclave, Revised Ranger, who rides a wolf. I really want to wield a big axe, and since I'm small, the biggest axe is a battleaxe. I can use it two handed for 1d10, and take defensive fighting style. Or I can wield it one handed + shield and take dueling. Fighting atop my wolf with trip, should grant a lot of advantage on my attacks. So here is my ability scores and planned feats / ASI's.

Starting Score

Str - 15
Dex - 16 (14 + 2)
Con - 14 (13+1)
Int - 8
Wis - 12
Cha - 10

Level 4 - +2 Str (17 Strength)
Level 9 - Lucky
Level 12 - Medium Armor Master
Level 16 - Athlete +1 Str (18 Strength)
Level 19 - +2 Str (20 Strength)

So I'll end up with 20 Str at level 20. I know this is not optimal, and I'm considering tweaking it. It'd be so much easier just to rely on Dex and take a finess weapon, but I like the idea of wearing medium armor and using a large axe.

Anyhow, I'm open to suggestions.

Snig
2017-01-11, 03:28 PM
Isn't that one of the commanders from Tyranny of Goblins?

Yes he is. My favorite character in D&D. He actually made an appearance in Icewind Dale as well.

Snig
2017-01-11, 03:30 PM
Certainly can see this as an enjoyable character to have in a party. I played a Goblin once, though it was for a 3.5e campaign, and wasn't exactly a 100% original creation...
Okay, I won't lie, It was Redcloak from OOTS
But anyway, this is a great character, and I'd be interested to see how much the mechanics play off of the rest of it.

So far so good. We're playing LMoP, and I started out working for Gundren Rockseeker as a ratcatcher around his stables. He took me in a while back when he found me hiding out in his stables making friends with the rats.

Callin
2017-01-11, 03:43 PM
I LOVE GOBLIN CHARACTERS!!! I also get to play one finally in 5th on Sunday. Love your character concept. I hope you have a ton of fun. Here is mine

Rok the Mighty Goblin Warrior/Scout. Mechanically a Goblin Monk (probably Longdeath) who uses his Shortsword or Spear and then Bites and Punches you as his Unarmed lol. Fierce Combatant.

Customized Outlander Background.

Personality- I’m always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes accidentally breaking them.
Ideal- Might. The strongest are meant to rule.
Bond- I suffer awful visions of a coming disaster and will do anything to prevent it.
Flaw- Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.

We also use Higher Stats than normal for a group. We like the Higher Epic Fantasy Feel. Probably going to take Magic Initiate at level 4 for a Familiar Pet and the Light Cantrip since we are playing Out of the Abyss. Though if our Wizards keep things well lit or it really does not matter much and Darkvision will suffice then I might go with something else.

Snig
2017-01-11, 03:46 PM
I LOVE GOBLIN CHARACTERS!!! I also get to play one finally in 5th on Sunday. Love your character concept. I hope you have a ton of fun. Here is mine

Rok the Mighty Goblin Warrior/Scout. Mechanically a Goblin Monk (probably Longdeath) who uses his Shortsword or Spear and then Bites and Punches you as his Unarmed lol. Fierce Combatant.

Customized Outlander Background.

Personality- I’m always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes accidentally breaking them.
Ideal- Might. The strongest are meant to rule.
Bond- I suffer awful visions of a coming disaster and will do anything to prevent it.
Flaw- Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.

We also use Higher Stats than normal for a group. We like the Higher Epic Fantasy Feel. Probably going to take Magic Initiate at level 4 for a Familiar Pet and the Light Cantrip since we are playing Out of the Abyss. Though if our Wizards keep things well lit or it really does not matter much and Darkvision will suffice then I might go with something else.

Love it. The biting is a great touch!

Demonslayer666
2017-01-11, 04:09 PM
We be Licktoads! We make raid!
Put the longshanks to the blade!
Burn them up from feet to head,
Make them hurt, then make them dead!

Cut the parents into ham,
Smush the babies into jam,
All the rest in pot get stewed,
We be Licktoads - you be food!

Addaran
2017-01-11, 04:14 PM
I love that character, i'm so jealous!

The drawing is awesome (is it from you?) especially with the frog toad on the head.

King Lickybum. And licking the poisonous frog toad like Homer. :smallbiggrin:

The personality and quirks are great.

Is Ratcatcher a real background? What's the "special background ability"?

Plaguescarred
2017-01-11, 04:19 PM
Really cool character you have here and i must say i like every aspect of it!

Snig
2017-01-11, 04:56 PM
I love that character, i'm so jealous!

The drawing is awesome (is it from you?) especially with the frog toad on the head.

King Lickybum. And licking the poisonous frog toad like Homer. :smallbiggrin:

The personality and quirks are great.

Is Ratcatcher a real background? What's the "special background ability"?

Thanks a lot! I also love him.

The artwork is from Pathfinder, I just made some tweaks in Photoshop.

And you can find the Ratcatcher background on the hack and slash website. (Just Google 5e Ratcatcher background).

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-11, 08:31 PM
Snig is armed with a finely made Dwarven battleaxe (a gift from his employer Gundren Rockseeker), a crossbow, as well as a crude skinning knife.

My Bahamut... Gundren must be the second most famous dwarf in the realms... losing only to Bruenor Marysuehammer...