PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Damaging Low Level Abjurations

Zeruel
2017-01-11, 02:43 PM
Hail Playgrounders, hope you had a nice end of the year and gallons of eggnog! d(^^)

I need your help for an hopefully upcoming campaign, and I just discovered how much fun the abjuration school can be, despite being centered around buffing and defending.

I'm looking for a damaging abj spell of 3rd level or lower for a sweet-as-sugar combo I have in mind, but I only came across Explosive Runes (which requires too much preparation even when you plan on purposely failing at dispelling it) and Icicle (chances are I will not always have a dungeon's ceiling on my head). In a nutshell, I need to be able to cast it everywhere and in as little time as possible.

Many thanks in advance! So, any idea? :smallbiggrin:

Deophaun
2017-01-11, 02:55 PM
Magical backlash from DotU, but that's probably not what you want.

As for explosive runes, sure, you make them ahead of time, but in combat you just summon some fiendish hawks to grab them, carry them to the target, and read them. They're like guided missiles from hell.

Flickerdart
2017-01-11, 03:35 PM
This thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9499.0) may be of use to you.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-11, 04:14 PM
Energized Shield, Lesser. SC, level 2. Std action cast time.

Zeruel
2017-01-11, 06:07 PM
Magical backlash from DotU, but that's probably not what you want.

As for explosive runes, sure, you make them ahead of time, but in combat you just summon some fiendish hawks to grab them, carry them to the target, and read them. They're like guided missiles from hell.

Magical backlash will still be useful against casters, so I'll keep that idea, thanks.

About the outsider hawks, can they read? Regardless, I now have a Persistent Image in my mind of kamikaze birds. Aaah, Mr. Nguyen...

This thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9499.0) may be of use to you.

Thank you Flickerdart, missed some of the mentioned spells, may have some use at higher levels :smallsmile:

Energized Shield, Lesser. SC, level 2. Std action cast time.

Gosh sorry, should have mentioned I'm planning an arcanist, my bad. (^^;)

Thanks nonetheless :)

Deophaun
2017-01-11, 06:33 PM
About the outsider hawks, can they read? Regardless, I now have a Persistent Image in my mind of kamikaze birds. Aaah, Mr. Nguyen...
Yes, they absolutely can. The fiendish and celestial templates bring the creature's Int score up to a minimum of 3. All creatures with an Int score of at least 3 understands at least one language, which is Common unless otherwise indicated (page 7 of the Monster Manual if you need the reference). There is no indication given for fiendish hawks (or celestial monkeys, which exploding monkeys do have their comedic value). Finally, illiteracy is a trait/class feature; hawks, fiendish or otherwise, do not have it.

Zeruel
2017-01-11, 07:44 PM
Yes, they absolutely can. The fiendish and celestial templates bring the creature's Int score up to a minimum of 3. All creatures with an Int score of at least 3 understands at least one language, which is Common unless otherwise indicated (page 7 of the Monster Manual if you need the reference). There is no indication given for fiendish hawks (or celestial monkeys, which exploding monkeys do have their comedic value). Finally, illiteracy is a trait/class feature; hawks, fiendish or otherwise, do not have it.

I see... curious indeed.

However, it still seems to me it's not the fastest way to deliver a spell, but I have to admit that although abjuration is not all for protection, it needs LOTS of preparation. My combo is no more so sweet... :smallfrown:

Deophaun
2017-01-11, 07:47 PM
However, it still seems to me it's not the fastest way to deliver a spell
A spell? No.

(1d4+1)x1.5 spells? (Empowered summon monster III)

Zeruel
2017-01-11, 08:30 PM
A spell? No.

(1d4+1)x1.5 spells? (Empowered summon monster III)

So... 2 to 7 (only the variable part of the spell is multiplied, right?) unearthly Small gunships each dropping a bomb capable of 1 to N 6d6 force blasts? Mmmh, smells like legally imported cheese... *drooling*

Hiro Quester
2017-01-12, 10:58 AM
Except that SMIII is a conjuration, not an abjuration spell.

Edit: Oh, I see. To deliver Explosive Runes. Hmmm....

Two potentially useful abjurations that (sort of) attack opponents:

Shadow Tentacle, Lesser (level 2): animates any nearby shadow to become a rope that entangles the target with a touch attack. (It's 3.0 from Lords of Darkness, if that matters, though.)

Ectoplasmic Feedback (SC) (level 2): causes 1d6+1/CL force damage to creatures that hit you with an incorporeal touch attack.

Zeruel
2017-01-12, 03:32 PM
Except that SMIII is a conjuration, not an abjuration spell.

Edit: Oh, I see. To deliver Explosive Runes. Hmmm....

Two potentially useful abjurations that (sort of) attack opponents:

Shadow Tentacle, Lesser (level 2): animates any nearby shadow to become a rope that entangles the target with a touch attack. (It's 3.0 from Lords of Darkness, if that matters, though.)

Ectoplasmic Feedback (SC) (level 2): causes 1d6+1/CL force damage to creatures that hit you with an incorporeal touch attack.

Lesser Shadow Tentacle unfortunatly doesn't deal damage and I saw it was 3rd level, but it's interesting as a concept, wish I knew more 3.0 spells. Tnx anyway :smallsmile:

-------------

Since it appears that low level damaging abjurations apart from the two I found do not exist, I ask instead: are there damaging spells (no matter the school, level or magnitude of damage) that can be cast in less then a standard action and have a range greater than touch?

Roog
2017-01-12, 04:31 PM
Since it appears that low level damaging abjurations apart from the two I found do not exist, I ask instead: are there damaging spells (no matter the school, level or magnitude of damage) that can be cast in less then a standard action and have a range greater than touch?

Kaupaer's Quickblast (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a)