PDA

View Full Version : Feats. Tavern brawler and lucky

Doomwhispo
2017-01-11, 04:26 PM
Hello. I was considering taking the tavern brawler feat. Mostly for RP I'm a human tank with the shield master fear... But it seems way underpowered compared to for example the lucky feat.
So 2 questions

1. Any idea on how to slightly improve it? My DM is not very lenient so I'd like something not strong to add to it
2. Is it just me or is the lucky feat way op compared to the others feats?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-11, 04:33 PM
Why do you want Tavern Brawler? It's mostly only worth it for grappling, though there's some niche benefit to being a Str-based unarmed brawler, I suppose.

Lucky is certainly a good feat, but I don't think three rerolls/day is anything to fear.

djreynolds
2017-01-11, 04:36 PM
Hello. I was considering taking the tavern brawler feat. Mostly for RP I'm a human tank with the shield master fear... But it seems way underpowered compared to for example the lucky feat.
So 2 questions

1. Any idea on how to slightly improve it? My DM is not very lenient so I'd like something not strong to add to it
2. Is it just me or is the lucky feat way op compared to the others feats?

I live on the shield master feat. You know you can shove them prone first? Knock them prone and everyone gets advantage to hit them and you get evasion from it.
Take a level of rogue for expertise in athletics

Doomwhispo
2017-01-11, 04:49 PM
Well lucky means you can reroll the first 3 crit done on you every day... is very versatile... tavern brawler is just nice for RP. But I am trying to think of something nice to add to it to make it more useful..

Doomwhispo
2017-01-11, 04:50 PM
Also my DM does not allow me to knock prone and then Attack after... he says you need to attack to be able to push someone prone as a bonus action

Specter
2017-01-11, 05:28 PM
Lucky's not OP. It gives you essentially what you could accomplish naturally. It's great if kept to avoid your foe's natural 20's and your natural 1's.

Tavern Brawler's only good if you have an odd STR score. If you want to improve, suggest to your DM that the grapple shouldn't cost your bonus action, so you can use it along with Shield Master.

GlenSmash!
2017-01-11, 05:57 PM
Also my DM does not allow me to knock prone and then Attack after... he says you need to attack to be able to push someone prone as a bonus action

DMs can do what DMs want to, but this does disagree with how the Lead Designer of 5th edition rules the feat.

Doomwhispo
2017-01-11, 06:08 PM
Yeah but the lead designer should write what he means to do with the rules in the players handbook clearly... because it clearly states that you need to attack to use the shield shove feature.

GlenSmash!
2017-01-11, 06:11 PM
Yeah but the lead designer should write what he means to do with the rules in the players handbook clearly... because it clearly states that you need to attack to use the shield shove feature.

Not quite. It states you need to take the Attack action.

Doomwhispo
2017-01-11, 06:17 PM
So what happens when u shove a target off a cliff and can't take the Attack action after?

comk59
2017-01-11, 06:26 PM
So what happens when u shove a target off a cliff and can't take the Attack action after?

Then you lose your action and can take no other actions that turn. You declared that you were using the attack action that turn, you can't take it back.

Doomwhispo
2017-01-11, 06:39 PM
I'll ask my DM's again... but it's frustrating I can't just point them to the phb and say 'these are the rules'

MrCeeJ
2017-01-11, 07:52 PM
I'll ask my DM's again... but it's frustrating I can't just point them to the phb and say 'these are the rules'

From Mike Mearls:

@MiguelDeRojas Can I use the bonus action provided by Shield Master before I execute any attacks from the Attack action? And beween attacks? yes — (((Mike Mearls))) (@mikemearls) August 29, 2016

Also, in response to your other question of "what happens if I shove a creature off a cliff? Do I lose my attack?" Any player can use shove as an Action. So, instead of losing the rest of your turn because you shoved with your Bonus Action, you can just use your Action to shove the creature. If you're successful in shoving the creature off the cliff, you then still have your Bonus Action to use for something else.

Or it could still work if there are multiple creatures. You can shove one off the cliff using your BA then turn and attack the other with your Action. There are options.

comk59
2017-01-11, 08:18 PM

Technically you can, it's just that the rule can be interpreted differently than intended. Hence the clarification.