PDA

View Full Version : Ninja: Who were they realy

StickMan
2007-07-18, 11:18 PM
After reading another thread I came to the conclusion that most people know very little about how historical Ninja acted and were trained. And I would like to dispel some myths.

1. Ninja just killed people all the time there lives were full of nothing but killing.
Truth many trained Ninja never killed anyone, the did reconnaissance work, getting info on enemy forces, and what a rival group does.

2. Ninja were lawless.
Truth most Ninja were servants of a feudal lord who they worked for there whole lives.

3. Ninja were trained in the mountains by a monk or some other mystic order.
Truth most ninja were trained in villages that looked like any other village on the outside but were realy training grounds. They learned there art from member so the village and there own family.

4. Ninja were just Assassins.
Actually Ninja would fight in wars just like Samurai some times even wearing Samurai Armor in battles, they were quite capable front line fighters but may not have been as well equipped as the Samurai were.

5. Ninja I see in movies are historically correct.
No not so much.

I'm sure I'll be adding more to this but for more info on Ninja now see the wiki page it actually has good info on this. Ninja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja)

Swedish chef
2007-07-19, 05:22 AM
There is a most excellent book on the subject. Ninja by Stephen Turnbull takes you through the history of the ninja, how they actually originated in the samurai class and so on. It's a great book.

Book name:Ninja
Author: Stephen Turnbull
ISBN: 1-84067-432-6

AslanCross
2007-07-19, 05:46 AM
I remember seeing a special about ninjas on Discovery Channel as well. The myths about supernatural abilities that ninjas are said to possess might have probably been just spread by ninjas themselves to hide their identity as rather mundane spies.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-19, 07:20 AM
Well technically ninja's did kill. They killed in battle, but other than that, one of their main purposes was to sneak into enemy's bases, and steal their battle plans or kill their leader.

Tom_Violence
2007-07-19, 10:12 AM
Well technically ninja's did kill. They killed in battle, but other than that, one of their main purposes was to sneak into enemy's bases, and steal their battle plans or kill their leader.

Yes, I saw that on TV once too.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-19, 11:13 AM
Ninja did use mind-experimenting drugs, though. Of course, that's not terribly unusual both in the world of espionage and war.

tape_measure
2007-07-19, 11:30 AM
Ninja did use mind-experimenting drugs, though. Of course, that's not terribly unusual both in the world of espionage and war.

Nor in every day life. :smallamused:

dehro
2007-07-19, 01:01 PM

especially in a country where one of the main import products other than tea and silk was, in fact, opium

the Ninjas have been known to carry out sabotages, assassinations, spy-work and many other tasks that required mostly acting in "enemy territory".
It must however be said that many times people who were carrying out similar tasks where called ninjas just because of this but had had no particular training as "ninja".

fighting skills and other talents where tought in the families and/or where part of everyday's life (several samurai or ronin acted as "ninja" on an occasion or two, think only of the uber-famous 47 samurai..

and of course the ones who actually made a living as ninjas, assassins or spies, did everything they could to boost the myth surrounding them. fear is also an important factor in any whar, warlords, samurai and ninjas knew this and acted accordingly doing whatever in their might to aquire the fame of unbeatable, terrifying or favoured by fortune, as to discourage any foe.

(sounds a bit like the famous rule nr 1 of the Discworld)

Flabbicus
2007-07-19, 07:59 PM
especially in a country where one of the main import products other than tea and silk was, in fact, opium

the Ninjas have been known to carry out sabotages, assassinations, spy-work and many other tasks that required mostly acting in "enemy territory".
It must however be said that many times people who were carrying out similar tasks where called ninjas just because of this but had had no particular training as "ninja".

fighting skills and other talents where tought in the families and/or where part of everyday's life (several samurai or ronin acted as "ninja" on an occasion or two, think only of the uber-famous 47 samurai..

and of course the ones who actually made a living as ninjas, assassins or spies, did everything they could to boost the myth surrounding them. fear is also an important factor in any whar, warlords, samurai and ninjas knew this and acted accordingly doing whatever in their might to aquire the fame of unbeatable, terrifying or favoured by fortune, as to discourage any foe.

I thought China was the one where they were beaten over the head with opium by the British.

doliemaster
2007-07-19, 09:56 PM
China had it forced eventually by the british, I believe Japan never tried to get rid of it at that time.