PDA

View Full Version : Wall of force, what does "flat" mean?

sir_argo
2017-01-11, 07:33 PM
In the spell description for Wall of Force (and Wall of Ice), it says that you can "shape a flat surface" made up of ten panels of size 10'x10'x1"...the panels must be contiguous. Does this mean each panel must be flat, or that whatever you construct out of the ten panels must be flat? I.e., can I zig zag the panels, or do they all have to be in a straight line?

pwykersotz
2017-01-11, 10:26 PM
In the spell description for Wall of Force (and Wall of Ice), it says that you can "shape a flat surface" made up of ten panels of size 10'x10'x1"...the panels must be contiguous. Does this mean each panel must be flat, or that whatever you construct out of the ten panels must be flat? I.e., can I zig zag the panels, or do they all have to be in a straight line?

Treating them as if they were two dimensional, the panels need to be flat in a single dimension in relation to each other, but not in the other dimension. That said, each panel must contribute to the flat part of the surface.

As I read it, this would be legal:
http://i49.tinypic.com/wjuptc.jpg

But something like this (top view) would be illegal, and not just because it would take too many panels:
http://sr.photos3.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP597/k5973433.jpg

Alatar
2017-01-12, 12:07 AM
Treating them as if they were two dimensional, the panels need to be flat in a single dimension in relation to each other, but not in the other dimension. That said, each panel must contribute to the flat part of the surface.

I read it the same way. Nice examples.

For walls of force, I usually find the sphere and dome options to be more useful. Our DM likes large rooms with high ceilings, probably because of walls of force. A sphere will accommodate one huge creature comfortably. No save. Then go out to the hallway, smoke cigarettes, and listen to the distant sounds of battle. Or stay in the room for -- what? The sake of a few flash-bangs? While putting that sweet concentration spell at risk? Leave it for the lads. They're good at the hurly-burly.

glajsnake
2018-04-16, 04:11 PM
Would it be possible to shape the panels with a small slit in the middle?
Something like this:

[ ][ ]
[ ]x[ ]
[ ][ ]

Or do they have to connect fully on each side so that the smallest hole would be 10x10 ft?

lperkins2
2018-04-16, 04:47 PM
Would it be possible to shape the panels with a small slit in the middle?
Something like this:

[ ][ ]
[ ]x[ ]
[ ][ ]

Or do they have to connect fully on each side so that the smallest hole would be 10x10 ft?

That will mostly depend on if your group is one that treats 5' squares as digital units. Nothing in the spell description precludes the shape you indicate.

Umbranar
2018-04-18, 03:57 AM
As I read it the whole surface must be flat but that might be because I have also checked forcecage and asked myself, why bother with forcecage if a wall of force spell can basically do the same better?

Maelynn
2018-04-18, 11:48 AM
As I read it the whole surface must be flat but that might be because I have also checked forcecage and asked myself, why bother with forcecage if a wall of force spell can basically do the same better?

- a Wall of Force can be destroyed with Disintegrate
- a Wall of Force is Wizard-only, so a Bard or Warlock don't have the luxury of choice
- Forcecage lasts 1 hour, Wall of Force only 10 minutes

In a lot of situations, Wall of Force can do anything Forcecage can do but better (spell cost, yikes!). However, depending on the situation there may be times where Forcecage is more suitable.

JackPhoenix
2018-04-18, 06:26 PM
- a Wall of Force can be destroyed with Disintegrate
- a Wall of Force is Wizard-only, so a Bard or Warlock don't have the luxury of choice
- Forcecage lasts 1 hour, Wall of Force only 10 minutes

In a lot of situations, Wall of Force can do anything Forcecage can do but better (spell cost, yikes!). However, depending on the situation there may be times where Forcecage is more suitable.

Also, WoF needs concentration, Forcecage doesn't.