PDA

View Full Version : Binders and the Far Realm

Callos_DeTerran
2007-07-18, 11:57 PM
This is a thought that just came to recently but it also won't leave me alone either so I feel the need to voice it to people who can discuss and perhaps solve the mystery.

Far Realm:
Fact: The Far Realm is beyond space and time. It is the endlessness beyond the established multiverse. (Or atleast that is the impression that the Manuel of the Planes gives me.)

Fact: It is a realm of utter madness. Not bound by the laws or moralities of mortals. More importantly the dwellers are also insane beings (to varying degrees) of immense power.

Fact/Theory: The beings of the Far Realm sometimes hold an interest in the multiverse because it is so different or because their insane and saw pretty lights (or some such).

Fact and Theory: The Far Realm is unreachable by most means since it is not connected to the Ethereal, Astral, or Shadow planes. Theory: If it is difficult to get to then it must be just as (if not more so) to return from that place as it is to get there and beyond the means of most people.

Theory: Since the Far Realm defies established rulings and laws, it is concieveably everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Binders:

Fact: They call on vestiges that are trapped outside of time and space.

Fact: These vestiges are powerful enough to grant magical abilities from where ever they are and to multiple people at the same time.

Fact: They are not entirely sane individuals. Consider the demands they make if they gain influence over their summoner. Not one demands the summoner try to free them or anything of that nature.

Fact: They become vestiges through decidedly odd ways most of the time. More importantly not one has come back from the process.

Proposed Hypothesis:.....What if vestiges are beings who became trapped in the Far Realm? Think about it..nothing is established as existing beyond the Far Realm and the things in there usually can't or won't come to our multiverse since sometimes it's anethema to them. (Look at the Kaorti for proof).

We know Binders have some means of contacting this bizarre prison place to garner power from vestiges through symbols, a popular theme in aberration things. (The Yellow Sign, Aboleth glyphs, the Cerualian Sign) Not to mention the insane demands they make above. Or the rather odd ways some of the vestiges get to becoming vestiges.

Discuss.

Taurus
2007-07-19, 12:15 AM
I bind C'thulu to myself and attempt to destroy Pun Pun before his power out-does mine?

Sanity, of course, is expendable.

cody.burton
2007-07-19, 08:58 AM
I bind C'thulu to myself and attempt to destroy Pun Pun before his power out-does mine?

Sanity, of course, is expendable.

That would require one insanely epic binder.

ALOR
2007-07-19, 09:02 AM
This is a thought that just came to recently but it also won't leave me alone either so I feel the need to voice it to people who can discuss and perhaps solve the mystery.
Proposed Hypothesis:.....What if vestiges are beings who became trapped in the Far Realm? Think about it..nothing is established as existing beyond the Far Realm and the things in there usually can't or won't come to our multiverse since sometimes it's anethema to them. (Look at the Kaorti for proof).

We know Binders have some means of contacting this bizarre prison place to garner power from vestiges through symbols, a popular theme in aberration things. (The Yellow Sign, Aboleth glyphs, the Cerualian Sign) Not to mention the insane demands they make above. Or the rather odd ways some of the vestiges get to becoming vestiges.

Discuss.

This is exactly what I thought when i read the binder class. Everything just screamed far realm, including the vestiges themselves. I wish this class was better supported. Its a very cool concept

Solo
2007-07-19, 09:04 AM
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

SilverClawShift
2007-07-19, 09:18 AM
I really, really, really like it.

I think I'm going to pester my DM to set us up a Cthulhuish D&D game and play a binder...