PDA

View Full Version : Gaining a land speed

Tiri
2017-01-12, 12:46 PM
Some creatures have no base land speed. One example would be the Wendigo, or an Air Elemental, which both have only a fly speed.

Is there any way short of shape-changing such a creature could obtain a land speed? If you know of one, please tell me because I haven't been able to find anything helpful.

Ashtagon
2017-01-12, 12:50 PM
Is there a reason why flying an inch above the ground is not a suitable solution?

Crake
2017-01-12, 01:06 PM
Is there a reason why flying an inch above the ground is not a suitable solution?

Presumably it's not a solution when your fly speed has been reduced to 0 by means of a spell like earthbind.

Flickerdart
2017-01-12, 01:10 PM
The feat Cheetah's Speed lets any druid spend 1 wild shape use to set their land speed to 50 for an hour. Since it is a replacement and not a bonus, it doesn't matter if you don't have one.

If you have a swim speed, fins to feet has you covered for 1 hour per CL.

Tiri
2017-01-14, 12:09 AM
The feat Cheetah's Speed lets any druid spend 1 wild shape use to set their land speed to 50 for an hour. Since it is a replacement and not a bonus, it doesn't matter if you don't have one.

Looking at the feat, I would say that it does matter. It says 'change your base land speed to 50 feet', so if you have no base land speed there is nothing to be changed.

Hiro Quester
2017-01-14, 12:39 AM
Fins to feet (SW) will convert swimming appendages (fins tentacles, tail) to feet. The affected creatures "lose any natural swim speed they possess but gain a land speed instead."

So it grants a medium creature a land speed of 30.

The wording of "lose any natural swim speed" can be interpreted to mean "lose your swim speed, if any" and would grant feet and a land speed even if you had no natural swim speed. But that would be a DM's call, and might get books thrown at you.

Hiro Quester
2017-01-14, 12:50 AM
Unicorn heart is an hours/level spell that grants a few enhancements, the ability to dimension door 360 ft as a swift action, and also grants a land speed of 60. It does not require you to already have a land speed.

But it's a personal spell, so requires you to be a druid, sorcerer or wizard.