PDA

View Full Version : Trip to NYC-getting around?

J-H
2017-01-12, 03:27 PM
I am taking a business trip to NYC next month. I'll have meetings running from the Oceanside area (or possibly as far east as Deer Park) all the way to Clifton, and I may pop down to Monroe Township to visit one of our facilities. I expect to visit Long Island City

I suspect that I do not want to get a rental car. Luckily, most of my expenses go on the company expense report.

1) Uber, Lyft, or something else?
2) How much time should I allot between meetings?
3) What geographic blocks of the greater NYC area should I avoid?
4) What area is my best bet for a hotel? I am usually a Super 8 guy (even on the company dime), but I think location is going to be important here.
5) Should I take my tourist day on Monday, or on Friday?
6) Is 9:00am a good time for a first meeting of the day, allowing time for everyone to arrive?
7) What are the must-see tourist destinations? Assume that I will never come back again. I don't care for pop culture, so Broadway and Times Square are out. I don't mind a bit of walking, aside from #8:
8) It's going to be February in New York! COLD! Will a good overcoat, suit, and dress shoes suffice?

Peelee
2017-01-12, 03:48 PM
I've only been once, so all my advice will be based on that.

Don't rent a car, get a hotel near where you'll be most of the time and walk.

See Iron Maiden in Madison Square Garden. It's the show of a lifetime. At least, it was ten years ago.

Remmirath
2017-01-12, 08:48 PM
Note that I don't live in NYC and never have, but I have visited for long stretches of time several years in a row, so I'll through a few answers out.

1) Uber, Lyft, or something else? - A combination of walking and taking the subway are generally going to be faster, in my experience. Traffic tends to crawl.
4) What area is my best bet for a hotel? I am usually a Super 8 guy (even on the company dime), but I think location is going to be important here. - My advice would be to pick a hotel that's within walking distance to the place you're going to be going most often and close to a subway line that'll get you easily to the other places you're going.
5) Should I take my tourist day on Monday, or on Friday? - I don't think it'll matter much, really. I'm not thinking of anything that wouldn't be open on either of those days.
6) Is 9:00am a good time for a first meeting of the day, allowing time for everyone to arrive? - It might be pushing it depending on where people are coming from. 10:00 AM might be better if anybody's coming from another part of the city.
7) What are the must-see tourist destinations? Assume that I will never come back again. I don't care for pop culture, so Broadway and Times Square are out. I don't mind a bit of walking, aside from #8. - Assuming you've any interest in art (or weapons and armour, potentially) I would recommend the Metropolitan Museum of Art first. My favourite thing in NYC is actually The Cloisters, which is sort of a wing of the Met but up on the tip of Manhattan, and contains much of the medieval collection -- but I don't know how feasible/enjoyable that would be in February. Assuming you don't mind crowds and loud nosies as much as I do, the American Museum of Natural History is pretty neat as well. The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is another I thought was really interesting, but I'm guessing might not be the best in winter. Central Park is also worth a stroll if you're in the area; I wouldn't recommend it in the summer, because it's hot as blazes, but it should be nicer in the winter/spring.
8) It's going to be February in New York! COLD! Will a good overcoat, suit, and dress shoes suffice? - I've only been there in the summer, but I'm guessing that should be plenty so long as you don't mind your dress shoes getting covered in snow or slush. It's not usually very cold in February there from what I know, upper thirties to mid-forties, so I would personally opt for a light jacket or maybe just a sweater or sweatshirt. If you're from a particularly warm place you might want a bit more, but combined with the suit, I'd think you'd be fine.