PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Roleplaying a character with no memory

Fishyninja
2017-01-12, 03:39 PM
So here's a question for all y'all.

I have a character in mind (Half Elf Sorcerer {Wild or Favoured Soul, dependant on DM's ruling}) Now the DM is area of the characters back story which in short is he awakes in a cave, surrounded by ritualistic materials (alchemic components, pestles, mortars, papers, sigls, etc) with no memory.

Now it is not that he has lost his memory he has no memory, all he knows is his name and the fact he can speak common.

This is how I have written it and the DM will choose to incorporate it or not.
My character was actually created by a cult dedicated to Vecna to act as a vessel for his return but were interrupted before completing the ritual. He wanders to the nearest town and learns what the basic things are and begs/borrows/steals (after watching beggars) clothes and money until he can rent a room. From here he gets into a fight and accidentally kills someone with magic, scared he flees.
Now in my mind is that if someone has no memory apart from the items above and (for ease) lets say he can hold a conversation thats a starter but he would have no idea of social constructs and what stuff is so he would have to learn by watching. For example he is in a store see's someone take something to the counter and talk to the shopkeeper and leave. He would do that but would not pay as it is a foreign concept to him. Or he watches a group of kids grab some apples from a cart and run away so he follows suit.

That is what logically makes sense to me, however how in the heck to I RP that without annyoing the rest of the group?

Naanomi
2017-01-12, 03:52 PM
I would probably give myself a bit more innate knowledge than that (you have high Charisma, presumably, so social niceties are there to some degree at least); but if not then I'd latch onto another PC to serve as my 'guide' while I figured things out

We had a battlerager in a recent game with a similar background (inheritor background: with shifting tattoos as their inheritance, they were actually a golem breathed to life with their runic markings unbeknownst to everyone who thought they were just a drunkard who forgot everything because of fantasy alcoholism)

Fishyninja
2017-01-12, 03:58 PM
I would probably give myself a bit more innate knowledge than that (you have high Charisma, presumably, so social niceties are there to some degree at least); but if not then I'd latch onto another PC to serve as my 'guide' while I figured things out

I feel I could charm my way out of a few things by seeming a bit simple almost.
The only character I can think of to take inspiration from (in the fact of they do not follow social standards and is not a pain in the hole) is Edward from Cowboy Bebop.

But I think something like that, maybe try to play it off as being a tad odd not but dangerous.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-01-13, 01:17 AM
Netflix has a show, Dark Matter, where the crew of a ship has no memory of their past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_(TV_series)

There are several characters with the condition and I found the first season quite entertaining.

RSP
2017-01-13, 03:04 AM
Watch Memento. Not quite the same situation, but I think you'd get some ideas from how the main character acts when he doesn't remember stuff.

A lot of it would come down to when your PC tries to pretend to remember and bluff his way through situations or admit he doesn't know anything and ask for help.

Even if he starts completely naive to social norms (honestly an unlikely scenario if he remembers language: how come he knows the word "Commerce," "store" or "purchase" but doesn't understand people paying for items? Either he'd know what the words mean and their significance, or he wouldn't know the words at all, but RP it however you think it's fun), he'd still pick up on stuff very quickly (assuming an Int higher than 6).

Regitnui
2017-01-13, 05:46 AM
I'd advise you to play him as a foreigner. Not that he/she actually is, of course, but with that same sense of confusion and unfamiliarity:

Say your party's at a tavern:

Barman: That'll be ten silvers for the round.
Sorcerer: Which ones are the silvers?

Or visiting the temple of Pelor/sun god:

S: Why is everything covered in gold? *Sits on holy altar while shading eyes*

So while the words for everything make sense, the customs, metaphors and cultures may not. If there's a specific name mentioned of a god or person, ask who they are. Heck, if your questgiver is an influential person, ask them why they can't do the quest or who they are. After all, you genuinely don't know anything.

Fishyninja
2017-01-13, 02:58 PM
Watch Memento. Not quite the same situation, but I think you'd get some ideas from how the main character acts when he doesn't remember stuff.

Great movie

Even if he starts completely naive to social norms (honestly an unlikely scenario if he remembers language: how come he knows the word "Commerce," "store" or "purchase" but doesn't understand people paying for items? Either he'd know what the words mean and their significance, or he wouldn't know the words at all, but RP it however you think it's fun),

This is the hard part, if I was to realistically RP it then yes the character would have to be taught language, that is jsut going to infuriate the other players (myself included) so I decided to at least give him something.

I'd advise you to play him as a foreigner. Not that he/she actually is, of course, but with that same sense of confusion and unfamiliarity:

Say your party's at a tavern:

Barman: That'll be ten silvers for the round.
Sorcerer: Which ones are the silvers?

Or visiting the temple of Pelor/sun god:

S: Why is everything covered in gold? *Sits on holy altar while shading eyes*

So while the words for everything make sense, the customs, metaphors and cultures may not. If there's a specific name mentioned of a god or person, ask who they are. Heck, if your questgiver is an influential person, ask them why they can't do the quest or who they are. After all, you genuinely don't know anything.

This is the only way I can see it being done literally acting like a buffoon or something. I mean he'll have instincts so he will be aware of potentially dangerous situations, he is afterall an animal but I feel I am going to be asking people a lot of questions.
Having alcohol explained to me would be entertaining, as would be sex and religion I think.

Hrugner
2017-01-13, 04:44 PM
I'd start the character's play a month or so out from his creation. That would give him time to rapidly master a language and a few basic rules of human interaction. Starting at zero would just be frustrating and time consuming. I'd be worried about the character monopolizing play time and boring everyone else in the party and probably the DM.

Fishyninja
2017-01-13, 04:51 PM
I'd start the character's play a month or so out from his creation. That would give him time to rapidly master a language and a few basic rules of human interaction. Starting at zero would just be frustrating and time consuming. I'd be worried about the character monopolizing play time and boring everyone else in the party and probably the DM.

In his backstory before joining the campaign he did spend a month in a small village learning things but real basics. I kind of want to say that they mainly did a commoditry trade economy rather than monetary, gives me an excuse to try and pay for something with a wheel of cheese or the like.

Mellack
2017-01-13, 05:01 PM
So are you going to play the character with no skills?

Fishyninja
2017-01-13, 07:22 PM
So are you going to play the character with no skills?

An intersting point and one I had not considered. When you say no skills are you talking about proficiency or stating that I have no skills at all straigh 0's all the way down?

Mellack
2017-01-13, 08:18 PM
An intersting point and one I had not considered. When you say no skills are you talking about proficiency or stating that I have no skills at all straigh 0's all the way down?

I would think no proficiency, as you have no training in any skills. You would still have a natural aptitude for some skills based on your stats. If you have the background as stated (one month alive in a villiage), that might make most knowledge skills a 0.

djreynolds
2017-01-14, 04:28 AM
We're currently running a campaign where are memories have been wiped, we think a wish spell

We couldn't select history or arcana, and no wizards or paladins or clerics for our group though we have npc clerics, wizards, and paladins

We have to go to cities and towns and churches and libraries to figure out our problems.

We don't know our names (we do now), have no idea of alignment or past actions. We work for a shady merchant, very powerful, he doesn't know but we signed a contract with him. We acquire items for him.

Its very cool, because I see players gravitating towards a natural thought process.

My character is a half orc fighter/rogue strength based shield bashing machine and I went to the temple Tyr for help.

We are working for a person who we are under contract with, when I told him I went to see the priests of Tyr... he (the DM) laughed.

We are trying to get back our memories, we have figured it is reversible and it may have been a wish.

Its great fun, and I don't want my memory back, I think I was nasty man. But its a blast, and fun to watch players gravitate to what they like to play. I prefer a wizard, I like to control stuff, but the fighter/rogue is fun. I feel like I want to be a paladin and honorable.... but I'm equipped for other things.

Enjoy it.

Fishyninja
2017-01-14, 08:25 AM
I would think no proficiency, as you have no training in any skills. You would still have a natural aptitude for some skills based on your stats. If you have the background as stated (one month alive in a villiage), that might make most knowledge skills a 0.
Indeed I'll have instinct but book learnings, History, Religion, etc they'd be a No No, as a Sorcerer, maybe Arcana.

Enjoy it.
Oh I certainly well, just don't know how other players may react to it :smallbiggrin:

The Shadowdove
2017-01-14, 09:33 PM
The DM allowed one of our players to use this.

Specifically the part about starting with no proficiencies or languages from background and gaining them by chance is fun.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Unknown_(5e_Background)

Armok
2017-01-14, 10:31 PM
Consider that with no memory, your character has no real bonds with anybody prior to meeting the group. This means that, since you'll all become comrades over time, after a while it might make sense for your character to regard the rest of the group as precious, irreplaceable friends. Depending on your alignment, you might choose to go to lengths others might not in order to ensure their safety like throwing yourself into lethal danger to rescue someone, or exacting harsh vengeance on your comrades' enemies.

Vecna might be in for a sore surprise during a key moment, when he discovers his vessel has grown a soul and heart of its own...

furby076
2017-01-15, 01:07 AM
Typically, with amnesia, you keep your skills...you just lose the personal connections (name, home, friends, family, personal past).
In your case, you are just a blank slate. Really, you are the equivelant of an infant in a human body. So some things are being waived, for game reasons: You can walk, feed yourself, you are potty trained (this would be fun), you can talk/read/write. Presumably you will be able to use your sorcerer abilities.

But as was mentioned: No skills (maybe DM lets you gain one every 1-2 levels), forget about v-human feats that are skill (vs the ones that give you say more hp). You also don't know how to do basic things: tie knots, climb trees, cook, bathe yourself, have meaningful social interactions. For example: You encounter someone that you find attractive. You have no idea why, but you do. You never grew up where you learned not to just go and grope the person (which is innate). So, now you go to this person and grope him/her. That will cause you some issues. SOmeone hands you some alcohol----well that's a new experience.

When you play this character, everything we take for granted and do innately - you can't do that. Put a post it note on your character sheet - you are an infant in an adult body.

Be careful this does not become annoying to the other players, DM and even potentially you. Expect the DM to say "you would have no idea how to do that"...where "doing that" is pulling a lever to open a lock.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 08:46 AM
The DM allowed one of our players to use this.

Specifically the part about starting with no proficiencies or languages from background and gaining them by chance is fun.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Unknown_(5e_Background)
This is handy, I might pass it on to the DM (if the game goes ahead).

Consider that with no memory, your character has no real bonds with anybody prior to meeting the group. This means that, since you'll all become comrades over time, after a while it might make sense for your character to regard the rest of the group as precious, irreplaceable friends. Depending on your alignment, you might choose to go to lengths others might not in order to ensure their safety like throwing yourself into lethal danger to rescue someone, or exacting harsh vengeance on your comrades' enemies.

Vecna might be in for a sore surprise during a key moment, when he discovers his vessel has grown a soul and heart of its own...
That was a hook I was hoping to happen but if it doesn't it is still unexpected and fun!

Typically, with amnesia, you keep your skills...you just lose the personal connections (name, home, friends, family, personal past).
In your case, you are just a blank slate. Really, you are the equivelant of an infant in a human body. So some things are being waived, for game reasons: You can walk, feed yourself, you are potty trained (this would be fun), you can talk/read/write. Presumably you will be able to use your sorcerer abilities.

But as was mentioned: No skills (maybe DM lets you gain one every 1-2 levels), forget about v-human feats that are skill (vs the ones that give you say more hp). You also don't know how to do basic things: tie knots, climb trees, cook, bathe yourself, have meaningful social interactions. For example: You encounter someone that you find attractive. You have no idea why, but you do. You never grew up where you learned not to just go and grope the person (which is innate). So, now you go to this person and grope him/her. That will cause you some issues. SOmeone hands you some alcohol----well that's a new experience.

When you play this character, everything we take for granted and do innately - you can't do that. Put a post it note on your character sheet - you are an infant in an adult body.

Be careful this does not become annoying to the other players, DM and even potentially you. Expect the DM to say "you would have no idea how to do that"...where "doing that" is pulling a lever to open a lock.
It seems the consensus is acting like a child who has not learn't anything yet, duly noted. Again I am hoping it won't be annoying for others.

War_lord
2017-01-15, 09:02 AM
It'll be colossally annoying, because the whole game will constantly screech to a halt to deal with your character's condition. The only form of amnesia that works in an RPG is the Jason Bourne "I'm a total badass, but I can't remember how or why". Playing a character who needs constant babysitting/bailouts is not considerate of the rest of the group, particularly if anyone in that group has a family life or career that involves working with people who are actually suffering from neurological conditions.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 09:05 AM
It'll be colossally annoying, because the whole game will constantly screech to a halt to deal with your character's condition. The only form of amnesia that works in an RPG is the Jason Bourne "I'm a total badass, but I can't remember how or why". Playing a character who needs constant babysitting/bailouts is not considerate of the rest of the group, particularly if anyone in that group has a family life or career that involves working with people who are actually suffering from neurological conditions.

Well the character in question would be a sorcerer so does have the capability of defending themselves and in regards to not being considerate to other players based on waht you have said you do make a good point.

Maybe this character isn't worth playing after all.

War_lord
2017-01-15, 09:29 AM
I meant socially. For example, you mentioned him taking something from a store without paying. Now essentially that's the same thing as the party rogue moonlighting, which tends to show up on lists of things other players hate, even if the roleplaying rational is entirely different.

PhantomSoul
2017-01-15, 09:47 AM
My current character is in this kind of situation, but it's slightly different for him. He witnessed the murder of his little sister and was driven mad. His parents couldn't handle him and so they sent him to a monastery to be taken care of, which meshed well with compulsions that had set in (mantric repetition, obsessive prayer). This is how he ended up being a monk, and amnesia set in with him "reconstructing" his past: he thinks he has an older brother to carry on the name and the household and that's why his parents abandoned him in the monastery (supported by being an overall underwhelming character based on stats and therefore someone whose reputation as having been brought into the fold would be more useful to the family than he actually is). I later discovered the madness condition, which fit perfectly; with the DM on board (and no other players aware, so we're kind of at his mercy!), a Greater Restoration or better healing spell would fix the amnesia and make me remember, potentially in the middle of battle, and I could plausibly be confronted by my family or other things that wouldn't mesh with the past I think I have. This wasn't all originally planned, but the little pieces -- all the way down to the amnesia-hidden past -- worked perfectly with the background elements that had been decided during the regular character creation, and it makes for an interesting surprise in-game too, which something (Greater Restoration) that should fix some other problem ends up having quite an unexpected side-effect.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 09:54 AM
I meant socially. For example, you mentioned him taking something from a store without paying. Now essentially that's the same thing as the party rogue moonlighting, which tends to show up on lists of things other players hate, even if the roleplaying rational is entirely different.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression a Rogue moonlighting was basically the character going our and stealing a load of stuff (which in turn becomes its own adventure)?

If so I understand where you see the similarity but I mean say I do that once with my party and they explain to me that I can't do that, then the character wont do it again becuase they have been taught. It's not like the character wants to go off and have their own adventure.

Again this is all based on if I understand the moonlighting term correctly.

War_lord
2017-01-15, 09:59 AM
The term "moonlighting" just means to "have a second job, typically secretly and at night, in addition to one's regular employment."

A rogue moonlighting splits off from the party, steals stuff, inevitably gets caught, thus dragging the party in. The character you describe splits off from the party, takes something without paying for it, and gets caught, thus dragging the party in.

There's a distinction there, but either way the party ends up dealing with your sticky fingers. It's the Kender problem.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 10:20 AM
The character you describe splits off from the party, takes something without paying for it, and gets caught, thus dragging the party in.

Understandable, the DM is area of the characters background so I think it would be really harsh for them to punish the entire party because of it. i mean it is fixable by maybe the character saying "I don't understand these *shows coins to party members*" They then can help, party bonding etc.

Kender problem.
Kender?

War_lord
2017-01-15, 11:09 AM
Kender?

The Halflings of the Dragonlance setting. Short version is that they have no concept of ownership, so they take other people's stuff. But the distinction between "I took the dukes crown because I'm greedy" and "I took the dukes crown because it's pretty and I didn't know any better" is lost on the players left dealing with the consequences.

Understandable, the DM is area of the characters background so I think it would be really harsh for them to punish the entire party because of it. i mean it is fixable by maybe the character saying "I don't understand these *shows coins to party members*" They then can help, party bonding etc.

That's how it would work in a book or a movie. In a game of D&D that's probably just going to come across as "Fishy is screwing us for no good reason". As for the DM, he or she needs to rule realistically, and if you walk out of a store with an item you didn't pay for, people will assume you're a thief.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 11:14 AM
The Halflings of the Dragonlance setting. Short version is that they have no concept of ownership, so they take other people's stuff. But the distinction between "I took the dukes crown because I'm greedy" and "I took the dukes crown because it's pretty and I didn't know any better" is lost on the players left dealing with the consequences.
Thank you, still new to all the campagins, realms of D&D.

That's how it would work in a book or a movie. In a game of D&D that's probably just going to come across as "Fishy is screwing us for no good reason". As for the DM, he or she needs to rule realistically, and if you walk out of a store with an item you didn't pay for, people will assume you're a thief.
As I said earlier the party I am in could teach the character some of these basics. They are going to be aware that the character has no memory, or if they don't see that they are going to see the character as being a bit dim.

I get the feeling you feel that this type of background is not suited for campaigns.

War_lord
2017-01-15, 11:22 AM
I think characters with no memory can work fine, its having no concept of property and other toddler-like traits that's concerning.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 11:30 AM
Again understandable I feel that some of the traits cane be counterbalanced by good party mechanics.

Also granted I could state that in the backstory the character has learnt some of the basics i.e. paying for stuff etc, but then I feel like the character would be developed and not a potential hindrance but then no RP opportunity because they cannot go looking for their memories etc as if they were an amnesiac because they hav no memories a all.

It is a fine line.

Mellack
2017-01-15, 01:35 PM
You may want to discuss this with the other players in the group. They may or may not want to spend time explaining to your character every new thing that you come across. IE: "That is a noble, you are expected to bow and treat them with respect. Oh, you only ever knew the local villagers, you don't know how to do that. Behavior around nobles means you should ....." "That is money used to get items from perople. The yellow one is worth 10 silver ones...."
This can easily get tiresome and bog down the adventure.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 01:38 PM
You may want to discuss this with the other players in the group.

I know the current players are aware of this and haven't voiced any concerns as of yet (we are looking for three more players).

djreynolds
2017-01-16, 03:29 AM
Include them in trying to fix you.

Perhaps the DM can try to have players try spark your memory.

Knaight
2017-01-16, 04:23 AM
This could work. This could fail horribly. It ultimately depends on both some of the specific implementation details and on the focus of the game. If the game is largely focused on characters accomplishing tasks to the best of their abilities this character is out of place and will generally just cause problems. If the game is focused on the setting and the characters are supposed to be the mechanism by which that setting is shown, this character will just cause problems. If the game is focused on the personal drama of the characters, then things are looking up - but at this point the specifics of tone become relevant.

Fishyninja
2017-01-16, 02:37 PM
Include them in trying to fix you.

Perhaps the DM can try to have players try spark your memory.

Well I'm including them, I don't actually have a memory to spark but I want them involved, I'm not trying to be a special snowflake character but I may inadvertently have created one *sigh*

This could work. This could fail horribly. It ultimately depends on both some of the specific implementation details and on the focus of the game. If the game is largely focused on characters accomplishing tasks to the best of their abilities this character is out of place and will generally just cause problems. If the game is focused on the setting and the characters are supposed to be the mechanism by which that setting is shown, this character will just cause problems. If the game is focused on the personal drama of the characters, then things are looking up - but at this point the specifics of tone become relevant.

In all honesty I do not know as of yet. The DM for the campaign I have submitted for this character has read the backstory likes it and has told me he may or may not use it half teh party seem ok with it but we are still missing a few players so I do not know if it is going to go ahead....however in another campagin we are expecting a TPK soon so I may broach the subject with this party as have been playing with them for a few months......if all else fails I could try an artificer.

Herobizkit
2017-01-16, 10:51 PM
This is a pretty avant-garde idea...

But what about having the DM craft your character for you?

Literally leave everything in his hands. You dictate what you wanna do, you roll - he adds your mods etc. behind the scenes. As you succeed in doing things, he slowly reveals the character's assets - race, age, stats, right up to class and spell known (if any).

Also, sprinkling info to you via NPC's that you definitely don't know (since you, the player, haven't either).

The hardest part comes two-fold. First, If you're in a game with others, you'd be kind of a 'special snowflake' that requires DM attention; this attention shouldn't detract or take more 'screen time' away from everyone else. Second, it'll be tough to try and avoid meta-gaming to help you solve your riddles. (I swing a shortsword, then a longsword - does either feel right to me? You don't know what you're proficient in so you just swing and hope that non-proficiency doesn't hurt you too badly).

Fishyninja
2017-01-17, 06:54 PM
This is a pretty avant-garde idea...

But what about having the DM craft your character for you?

Literally leave everything in his hands. You dictate what you wanna do, you roll - he adds your mods etc. behind the scenes. As you succeed in doing things, he slowly reveals the character's assets - race, age, stats, right up to class and spell known (if any).

Also, sprinkling info to you via NPC's that you definitely don't know (since you, the player, haven't either).

The hardest part comes two-fold. First, If you're in a game with others, you'd be kind of a 'special snowflake' that requires DM attention; this attention shouldn't detract or take more 'screen time' away from everyone else. Second, it'll be tough to try and avoid meta-gaming to help you solve your riddles. (I swing a shortsword, then a longsword - does either feel right to me? You don't know what you're proficient in so you just swing and hope that non-proficiency doesn't hurt you too badly).

I really like this idea I'v told my DM to build on the Backstory. The character was going to be a sorcerer but I would be happy with any caster as I have not played them as of yet.