PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a character...

SpiderKoopa
2007-07-19, 02:08 AM
Ok, my DM has limited us to core books and the complete sets, which has totally screwed up my idea of being a true necro. Damn. So, I'm going to revamp and totally change gears, going for a L-NG character. I'm looking for opinions. ^^
Choice A: Half-Dragon(Red) paladin of Bahamut... or...
Choice B: Drow Sorceress
^^

cupkeyk
2007-07-19, 04:54 AM
huh? In case you didn't know, true necro is a trap and it was a blessing in disguise that you didn't go into that. It makes you a weak caster in two spellcasting progressions.

The LA for drow hurts bad for a full caster so try to get the lesser drow in Races of Faerun, near the end part.

Tiamat will be so angry that one of her kids is worshipping Bahamut, good thing she killed him already. There's a feat in lost empires that lets you worship dead gods. LA hurts less for a melee character, this one is easier to build.

Breaon
2007-07-19, 05:00 AM
Paladin is gimped enough, don't ruin it with a huge +LA race. And yes, I've done a half-dragon paladin. It was painful; luckily, I was F/P/Platinum Dragon, but even then it was tough to really keep up with the rest of the party.

Tormsskull
2007-07-19, 05:53 AM
First, typical questions:

Is this a Role-Playing campaign, Hack n slash campaign, or a mix?
What are your other party members?
Do you need to fill a typical role (tank, healer, skillzguy, caster)?

Choice A: Half-Dragon(Red) paladin of Bahamut... or...
Choice B: Drow Sorceress
^^

You seem to be going for the "My race is evil but I am not" motiff. If you want that flavor, and the DM is allowing you to be any monster race from the MM, I'd suggest scanning through it for evil monsters that might not be so crazy if your PC is LG or NG.

Bender
2007-07-19, 06:10 AM
A Gold half dragon paladin makes much more sense than a red one.
There is no mechanical difference, except you don't have to bend the rules to be LG.
Your scales have a different colour too...

Person_Man
2007-07-19, 09:33 AM
Powerful Core Only Choices:

Druid
Cleric
Wizard
Sorcerer
Paladin with the Leadership feat for a special cohort mount (Dragon, etc)

Best of the Complete:

Exemplar (Google Nanobots on the optimization board)
Enlightened Fist
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil
Master Transmogrifist
Sublime Chord
Church Inquisitor
Sacred Fist
Radiant Servant of Pelor
Ur-Priest
Abjurant Champion
Halfling Outrider
War Chanter

You have a ton of potent options available to you. What do you want to do exactly?

Also, its worth mentioning that anything that requires you to take Level Adjustment is usually a very bad idea. From a purely math perspective, you lose too much (Hit Dice, Skills, Saves, BAB, high level special class abilities, spell progression) to gain moderate stat bonuses and mediocre special abilities that can be more efficiently gained through magic items and/or spells and/or class abilities.

Jimbob
2007-07-19, 10:59 AM
being a spell caster with a race that gives you a LA is a very bad idea, and depending on what rules your DM is using could stich you up big time. But if you want to go down the dragon route, then paladin or fighter are prob best.

And if you change your mind ask Person_Man for a incredible cleric/RSOP build, which I will be using next time im a player. cheers mate :smallsmile:

SpiderKoopa
2007-07-19, 07:55 PM
First, typical questions:

Is this a Role-Playing campaign, Hack n slash campaign, or a mix?
What are your other party members?
Do you need to fill a typical role (tank, healer, skillzguy, caster)?

1. It should be a mix.
2. No idea, we've all decided to be secretive (at least to the other pcs) about our character choices.
3. I usually like spells. =D But, I've never been a paladin before either.

As for the whole Red=Evil, my whole group believes in the "if you're sentient you have a choice". But yes, I want the mostly evil race, but lol, I'm LG! Also, we're starting with 8 levels to mess with.
The drow is tempting just flavor-wise. I strive in complicated situations (such as explaining to the townspeople that I'm not evil).
The half-red... gets a half-gold mount. XD

Caxton
2007-07-19, 08:13 PM
lol koopa, DM agreed to allow true necros....but i agree with above post about true necros, as you know. Be a Rakshasa paladin! lol

Superglucose
2007-07-19, 10:09 PM
Well... there was something I always wanted to play... its more of a roleplaying gimmick, but still fun.

Dwarven Monk. One of his skills is Preform(Limrick).

SpiderKoopa
2007-07-20, 05:03 PM
The list on options has been furthered! And my truly fickle personality just can't pick one...
Extras are as follows:
1. Pseudodragon sorcerer/wizard
2. Minotaur Paladin (trying to stick with a good aligned character after all. ^^)
3. Lizardfolk preist.

TheWarBlade
2007-07-20, 05:16 PM
Hobgoblin Paladin would be a cool choice. A gobbo has darkvision and plus to Con and Dex. Con is more useful for a pala but extra dex never truth anyone. From a roleplay standpoint it would be cool too.