PDA

View Full Version : OOTS The Movie (3d Animation). How would giant think?

Regneva
2007-07-19, 02:12 AM
I do not know if this was discussed before. I apologize if its a re-run.

I've been secretly working on some 3d artwork of my own, depicting the oots storyline in full-blown 3d graphics with the quality of a cinema experience.

Characters and atmosphere are in 3d, the storyline and dialogs mostly stay the same.

I'm not intending to complete this project on my own in full scale. However, if people would want to volunteer, hell, it may turn out to be one of the most entertaining unofficial oots stuff ever created, or maybe not. I'm mostly just having fun with creating the oots in 3d.

However, if this were to be a real project aimed for release, I don't think Rich Burlew would like it one bit. I'm guessing he'd raise royalty issues which I'd totally agree with.

Just asking for opinions.

Nomadic
2007-07-19, 02:29 AM
I would think that the OOTS comics would not work in 3d. The simple 2-d stick figure style is a form of artistry that involves using simplicity to add humor. Making it more complex would, I feel take away from it.

Though Mr. Burlew hasn't shown problems to people creating their own OOTS art as long as they did it from scratch (though copying strips could possibly annoy him).

kpenguin
2007-07-19, 02:39 AM
I disagree with Nomadic. While OOTS works well in a 2-D format, it does not necessarily rely on that style.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-07-19, 02:41 AM
I'm with the penguin. Three words: Parappa the Rapper. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eZcV1UuUzI)

Or at least that's how I'd do it. Full 3d could be interesting too, though.

Einkil
2007-07-19, 02:43 AM
it would be interesting, and more interesting with the correct sound and voices...

Deatheater
2007-07-19, 04:37 AM
I'll match your 3d animation, and raise you a live action movie.

Seriously. It hit me when I was reading SoD: OotS would SO rock as a live action movie. The writing stands on its own even without stick figures. Hell, there ARE live action fantasy flicks with WORSE writing--can we count them? No, wait, don't bother.

A live action movie of OotS would be like "Black Adder" for gamers. It would be a bit different of course--the contrast between realism and surreal plot would make the humor more biting.

Anyhoo I think you have a fun idea. Play with it.:smallsmile:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-19, 05:57 AM
There was a Simpson episode where Homer accidentally entered a 3d space and became 3d himself. And I really didn't like it. :smallconfused:
I agree that simplicity makes Oots funnier, because the dialogues are so clever and the expressions are so funny on these simple stick figures.
However, if they manage to make a 3d version of Oots that is not so complicated and the main spirit remains, I think it might be fun.
Another difficulty are the voices..

Emperor Ing
2007-07-19, 06:06 AM
No 3d, no 3d, no 3d, no 3d, no 3d, no 3d, no 3d, no 3d,

I think my message is clear...or is it? :smallsmile:

Alysar
2007-07-19, 07:13 AM
Funny you should mention it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50700)

Edit: Ok, imageshack seems to be acting up right now. If you don't see the pictures in that thread, you might want to try back later.

ReEdit: Ok, it wasn't imageshack, it was me. A couple minutes later I couldn't reach anything on the internet until I restarted my computer.

Rajhiim
2007-07-19, 07:20 AM
Very nice Alysar!

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-19, 07:44 AM
Very nice! "And you, young Alysar, we shall watch your career with great interest."

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-19, 07:46 AM
Really nice Alysar :smallwink:
It's exactly like the comic.
Much better than I have imagined it.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-07-19, 03:36 PM
Like I've said to ColinMarc, if it's fine with Rich, I say go for it. I don't think he'd have a problem with it as along as you create your own art and you make up your own situations. But you should check with Rich just to be sure.

And if anyone isn't interested, they can just not watch.

Baalzebub
2007-07-19, 03:56 PM
Alysar, I'll be following your progress.

I believe that a 3d Animated OOTS wouldn't be a bad idea, after all.

NerfTW
2007-07-19, 04:05 PM
A 3d version would probably work better with painted on mouths. That image looks a little off.

Plus, I'd be wary of making the actual comics into animated versions. Most artists would crack down very hard on that. The words are still his intellectual property, and would be a competing product if he ever wanted to do it himself.

I'd still go with a two dimensional cartoon look. It just captures the main feel better.

Hushdawg
2007-07-19, 04:43 PM
A 3d version would probably work better with painted on mouths. That image looks a little off.

Totally disagree

I hate the thought of making OOTS look like South Park ripoffs.

No way, that 3-D is juuust fine. It gives depth and character and still maintainst the ... stickiness of it all.

azule74
2007-07-19, 06:20 PM
I think that a full length movie would be great. Who would you look at for the voices? And would you talk to Rich and see if he minded if you made one. Because with the artistic licenses you might want to make sure you have his permission to do it.

Nomadic
2007-07-19, 08:16 PM
I disagree with Nomadic. While OOTS works well in a 2-D format, it does not necessarily rely on that style.

I can't seem to find the original link to the GitP FAQ section but I believe rich specifically stated that the OOTS art style was not from his inability to draw but from the fact that the comic used the simplicity of 2d stick figures to add to the humor. And I would have to agree. As someone who has done a bit of cartoon-oriented art I can state with certainty that a comic of the type that OOTS is, gains greatly in the humor department by using simple styles (2d, basic colors, simple shapes, etc).

So yes, while Rich isn't limited by the style the comic in it's current form does rely on it.

Bocc Kob
2007-07-19, 10:37 PM
While I agree that the simplistic stick figure designs add to the humor, when has it mattered whether they were flat or not?

Zicmu
2007-07-20, 01:31 AM
Regneva, you're certainly very... creative and imaginative. :)
You make attempts to contribute somehow to the world of OOTS.
Well I can see it's a new project you started here.
But, anyway, what happened to your previous one?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49818
I'm still interested in the way I can contribute.
BTW, I tried to contact you (see the thread or your PM) but to no avail :(

Yeril
2007-07-20, 06:19 AM
While seeing an entire animated movie wouldn't be great, seeing a few choice strips in say a Flash animation would be fantastic if they had the perfect voices.

Regneva
2007-07-20, 06:21 AM
Thanks Zicmu, for your interest once again :)

I'm sorry for the wait, I'll send you a PM right away.

@Deatheater:

Well there are about a dozen of threads now, each planning and dwelling on how great an oots movie would be. I actually got the idea from THEM. :)

#Alyssar
That's some nice work! What I've been working on is not quite different from yours in the way it looks. But I don't know, doing it in "3D cartoon style" may be a better way to capture the "humour" spirit as well. I'll definetely look into it.

I'm on vacation (sort of)right now. I'll post some of my work (on this project) as soon as I get home. And will ask your opinions then. Maybe you'll imagine it better :)

I'm still confused on how the Giant would react. I'd better ask for his direct permission via mail.

Deatheater
2007-07-20, 03:21 PM
@Deatheater:

Well there are about a dozen of threads now, each planning and dwelling on how great an oots movie would be.

Clearly I am blind.:smallredface:

I actually got the idea from THEM. :)

Hey, creative "theft" worked for Shakespeare. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2007-07-20, 06:15 PM
We'll see how it'd work out, but I don't think it'll be terrible as long as you can get good voices.

Regneva
2007-07-22, 09:34 AM
Well that seems to be an issue...

You see, I never thought it would include the dialogs (just some action and maybe narration)

The addition of voices is very very very important. Poor voices would litteraly kill it faster than poor animations would. And finding good voice acting means money, while finding good 3d animaton don't have to.

So I'm thinking "just subtitles". (Legend of Zelda anyone?)

lonewolf23k
2007-07-22, 10:59 AM
Try Flash Animation.. It would be closer to the original flavor of OotS, and it'd be faster then programming 3D models...