PDA

View Full Version : E6 Minions to populate a Beholder's dungeon

Blackhawk748
2017-01-12, 08:45 PM
What the title says, its E6 and the party just got to ECL 7 and i need ideas for neat minions for the Beholder to have. Hes a "scientist" and lives underground, so just about anything is explainable.

Darkweave31
2017-01-12, 09:16 PM
Charmed gnome livestock

neriractor
2017-01-12, 09:35 PM
you really canīt go wrong with a few well placed gas spores. Any creature brutish and weak-willed enough to be worth more as a slavekeeper than as dinner is also a pretty good idea, obviously herding a couple of weaker armed slaves around.

Thurbane
2017-01-12, 09:55 PM
Nothic (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906d) from Miniatures Handbook seems a good fit thematically. They are CR 3 each, so don't be afraid to use a group of them, or maybe have them supporting something tougher.

Celestia
2017-01-13, 03:49 AM
Awakened chickens each with one level in commoner and the chicken Infested flaw.

Falcon X
2017-01-13, 09:25 AM
If you can get a chance to look at the 5e "Out of the Abyss" adventure, it has a beholder's dungeon set up in the Wormwrithings.

Blackhawk748
2017-01-13, 11:12 AM
Nothic (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906d) from Miniatures Handbook seems a good fit thematically. They are CR 3 each, so don't be afraid to use a group of them, or maybe have them supporting something tougher.

Neat, ill toss a few of those in with some Gas spores and maybe some Necrosis Carnexes

Tiri
2017-01-13, 11:24 AM
Lurking Stranglers? They're described as often being kept as pets by beholders, if I remember correctly.

Mr Adventurer
2017-01-13, 12:48 PM
Wow, I'd have thought the high-level effects available to a Beholder would make them a bit of an overwhelming encounter in E6. Let us know how it goes!

Blackhawk748
2017-01-13, 03:31 PM
Wow, I'd have thought the high-level effects available to a Beholder would make them a bit of an overwhelming encounter in E6. Let us know how it goes!

You are correct, its why i kinda nerfed his SLAs, heres what hes got now (note all are CL 11 now):
Suggestion
Scorching Ray
Fear
Magic Missile
Paralysis (1d4+1 rounds only, as i dont like nasty debuffs like that that last for the entire combat as its basically save or lose)
Inflict Mod Wounds
Sleep
Slow
Telekenisis
Bolts of Bedevilment (He just fires on Ray from this spell instead of casting the actual spell)

I mean, hes still not a slouch or anything, but he won't one shot someone in the party.

Tiri
2017-01-13, 11:12 PM
Why not simply use a Gauth instead of a Beholder? It's CR 6, and a few minions will easily increase the EL to 7 or higher.

Blackhawk748
2017-01-13, 11:13 PM
Why not simply use a Gauth instead of a Beholder? It's CR 6, and a few minions will easily increase the EL to 7 or higher.

I need the HP and the AC of the bigger one, cuz this party can hit way above their ECL on damage, they just dont have the HP to take on something of that level.

Tiri
2017-01-14, 01:04 AM
I need the HP and the AC of the bigger one, cuz this party can hit way above their ECL on damage, they just dont have the HP to take on something of that level.

That's easily fixed. Advance the Gauth by 3 RHD, and give it one non-associated class level, preferably something with a large Hit Die.

Since it now gets the Elite Array from having class levels, put the 15 and the level 8 ability increase into Constitution. The 14 can go into Dexterity, if you're worried about AC. Assign the other scores as you wish, although I recommend the 8 go to Wisdom or Strength.

Even assuming the lowest possible HP from the class level, the Gauth will now have an average of 113 HP and a level of class abilities which can be very helpful if you choose the right class. For example, if you were worried about AC, you could take a level of Psychic Warrior for the Inertial Armor power, which, coupled with the Dexterity increase puts your AC at 25.

Would you believe that after all of that the Gauth is still CR 6? Well, it is.

johnbragg
2017-01-14, 07:24 PM
The beholder being a scientist gives a ready explanation for templating up all kinds of CR 3-4 stuff. (See PFSRD for details.)_

HAlf-Fiendish (+1) Fire-Infused (+1) Ogre (CR 3) is a favorite of mine--flying ogre with a bite attack, who adds d6 fire damage to all attacks.

Alchemically Invisible (+2) Cockatrice (CR 3)? (Assuming that there is SOME sort of stone-to-flesh incantation available).

Or how about a half-dragon (+2) medium Earth Elemental (CR3)? Brass-clad (+1) Giant Black Widow Spider (CR3)?

J-H
2017-01-14, 10:05 PM
Golems are pretty obvious. For a lower-powered option, try Automatons from MM2 page 27. The 50% "failure to act" chance can make them a very swingy encounter, so you may want to lower it to 25%. 1d8+Fort-or-stun every round from the Spiker, and 2d8+10 every round from the Hammerer.

Note that you need to add 20HP to the listed MM2 entry; the +20hp for Medium constructs was omitted in error.

killem2
2017-01-17, 12:37 PM
I actually like the idea of a pit, with a bridge, that is trapped with summon monsters but going right across next to the trapped bridge is an invisible walkway :D