PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Stacking conflicting weapon enhancements

tokyooo23
2017-01-12, 10:23 PM
A player wants to run a weapon with both the Holy and Unholy enchantments.

I recall hearing that a weapon cannot have conflicting enchantments but I can't find it to show to him.

Is this actually in the books or is it just some homebrew I picked up on accident?

Please supply the source book and Page number if it is true.

Thank you all beforehand

flappeercraft
2017-01-12, 10:53 PM
A player wants to run a weapon with both the Holy and Unholy enchantments.

I recall hearing that a weapon cannot have conflicting enchantments but I can't find it to show to him.

Is this actually in the books or is it just some homebrew I picked up on accident?

Please supply the source book and Page number if it is true.

Thank you all beforehand

I have not heard of this rule but you should check Rules Compendium or DMG as its likely in one of those

OldTrees1
2017-01-12, 10:58 PM
That is homebrew. The closest to that is redeeming an unholy weapon and thus making it a holy weapon(BoED IIRC). However that is specific to holy/unholy and it does not prevent a +1 holy unholy longsword.

tokyooo23
2017-01-12, 11:07 PM
Well I found this lil bit on http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/magweapon-ability.shtml

"Weapons can also have multiple abilities, so long as the requirements for the abilities do not conflict (as in a profane longsword of sacrificial smiting"

So obviously it has some weight, I just need to find the actual book it's in.

Zanos
2017-01-12, 11:09 PM
That weapon would actually make some logical sense for someone who is really dedicated to neutral on the G-E axis. It can only be wielded by a neutral wielder without penalties, and inflicts greater harm of creatures of Good or Evil alignments.

icefractal
2017-01-12, 11:25 PM
The Concordant Killer (MM4) is all about this concept, and rather cool looking to boot. For the full effect, get a Holy Unholy Axiomatic Anarchic weapon and hurt everyone that's not true neutral.

Although given that half or more of the enhancements would be wasted at a given time, this is more of a style item than a practical one.

tomandtish
2017-01-12, 11:28 PM
Wasn't there a module that statted out an artifact sword of balance? Holy, unholy, anarchic and axiomatic all in one? Basically did at least some bonus damage to anyone who was not true neutral? And couldn't be used w/o penalty except by a true neutral?

Endarire
2017-01-13, 12:17 AM
A +X Holy Unholy weapon is rules-legal, but utterly impractical. I'd also hate to be the second one enchanting the item with either Holy or Unholy because that likely means taking a negative level with it around or handling it.

tomandtish
2017-01-13, 10:31 AM
A +X Holy Unholy weapon is rules-legal, but utterly impractical. I'd also hate to be the second one enchanting the item with either Holy or Unholy because that likely means taking a negative level with it around or handling it.

Actually, when I went back and looked it gets even worse. For Holy, unholy, etc., one of the requirements is that the CREATOR of the weapon has to be the appropriate alignment. So unless there's something in a later book, you can't have someone come along and put a second opposing enchantment. They aren't the creator.

So doing this probably would require a major quest to figure a way around it.

Mr Adventurer
2017-01-13, 11:13 AM
Yeah, from a gaming perspective the item doesn't seem very problematic. +2d6 damage is nothing exciting for a +2 equivalent enhancement cost.

Zanos
2017-01-13, 11:42 AM
Mechanically, having a separate weapon for each anti-alignment would be significantly cheaper.