PDA

View Full Version : Optimization AT - Bladesinger build and spells

EDL
2017-01-13, 12:50 AM
Hey, everyone.

I have a lvl 6 AT(3)\Bladesinger(3) character who just lvl-uped to 7. So i'm thinking on what class should i take at 7 and further progression ofc.
This character is playing AL, mostly with random parties and different DMs, so party composition is not perfect sometimes and a number of encounters between rests is also very situational and DM-dependent.

Current stats are:
STR: 8
DEX: 16 (18 after ASI at 7)
CON: 14
INT: 19 (16 actually, but i love that sweet headband of intellect)
WIS: 10
CHA: 10

In battle I prefer GFB\BB + disengage or (if the party doesn't have enough tanks) just staying in the front line with bladesong (total 20 AC at lvl 7) + blur\mirror image + shield for reaction and attacking with cantrips.

So any thoughts on what should i take next?
I see the following options:
1. Go Wiz 5 first for 3 lvl spells an go rogue after
2. Go Wiz 7 first for 4 lvl spells an go rogue after
3. Just go rogue for better SA and rogue abilities
4. Go AT 4 \ Wiz 4 first for DEX 20 at lvl 8 and choose one of 1-3 options after

And another questions about spells.
If i go Wiz 4, I'll get two 3 lvl spell slots without the ability to learn 3 lvl spells. So any advice on 1-2 lvl spells that scale great and let me use those slots effectively?

djreynolds
2017-01-13, 04:29 AM
You got what you needed from rogue already, so you can sit on that ASI.

For now focus on your spells.

Specter
2017-01-13, 07:27 AM
I would get Uncanny Dodge before going forward with Wizard. That ability is great for survival. Even if you have Shield, it will still cut a critical hit into an average hit.

And you don't really need Extra Attack if you're using the SCAG cantrips, so AT15/Wizard 5 is a good split. You will have 5th-level spell slots if you want to upcast your 3rd-level spells.

Finieous
2017-01-13, 09:18 AM
I haven't played a bladesinger, but I've played an AT and there's a bladesinger in the current campaign I'm playing in (we're at 9th level). My opinion is, first, not really any bad options here. I'd personally go 4/4 for the ASIs, then go Rogue 7 for Uncanny Dodge and Evasion. Hit points are really your major weakness, so I'd want those damage mitigation options.

jaappleton
2017-01-13, 09:26 AM
I haven't played a bladesinger, but I've played an AT and there's a bladesinger in the current campaign I'm playing in (we're at 9th level). My opinion is, first, not really any bad options here. I'd personally go 4/4 for the ASIs, then go Rogue 7 for Uncanny Dodge and Evasion. Hit points are really your major weakness, so I'd want those damage mitigation options.

I agree with this.

The biggest attraction of going further in Wizard is better spells. But you've got all access to 1st and 2nd level spells at this point. You've got Hold Person, Shield, Absorb Elements... You've got some good, solid options.

Going Rogue not only increases your HD and ups your Sneak Attack, but it also makes your defenses much better with the Rogue features.

Don't forget... Using the SCAG Cantrips like Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade? Your sneak attack applies. And since the cantrip scales with CHARACTER level and not CLASS level... Adding more Sneak Attack on top of it is a VERY solid option.

Once you're Rogue 7 I'd take two more levels of Wizard to be Rogue 7 / Wizard 5, only to get third level spells. You'll want those. Yes, you'll be a 12th level character with only 3rd level spells. But when you need AoE, you need AoE. When you need Haste, you need Haste. Even a third level Fireball is 22 damage, that's VERY respectable AoE even at 12th level, especially considering its massive radius.

Finieous
2017-01-13, 10:06 AM
I agree with this.

The biggest attraction of going further in Wizard is better spells. But you've got all access to 1st and 2nd level spells at this point. You've got Hold Person, Shield, Absorb Elements... You've got some good, solid options.

Going Rogue not only increases your HD and ups your Sneak Attack, but it also makes your defenses much better with the Rogue features.

Don't forget... Using the SCAG Cantrips like Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade? Your sneak attack applies. And since the cantrip scales with CHARACTER level and not CLASS level... Adding more Sneak Attack on top of it is a VERY solid option.

Yes, and I assume his answer to the question "What do I want to do with my actions?" is to keep doing what he's doing. Presumably he built a rogue/bladesinger because he likes fighting in melee most of the time. If that's the case, he needs more rogue levels early on than he needs more wizard levels. The more wizard levels he adds, the more likely the answer to that question becomes "cast a spell." (Okay, technically, he's taking the Cast a Spell action even when he's fighting in melee, but you know what I mean.)

Once you're Rogue 7 I'd take two more levels of Wizard to be Rogue 7 / Wizard 5, only to get third level spells. You'll want those. Yes, you'll be a 12th level character with only 3rd level spells. But when you need AoE, you need AoE. When you need Haste, you need Haste. Even a third level Fireball is 22 damage, that's VERY respectable AoE even at 12th level, especially considering its massive radius.

Agree. Also, a pure AT doesn't get 3rd-level spells until 13th level, so 12th isn't so bad. :smallbiggrin:

jaappleton
2017-01-13, 10:08 AM
Agree. Also, a pure AT doesn't get 3rd-level spells until 13th level, so 12th isn't so bad. :smallbiggrin:

Also it's ALL third level Wizard spells! Not just specific schools!

And he has third level rituals. Which means Leomund's Tiny Hut as a safe haven to recharge your Bladesinging.

Talionis
2017-01-14, 06:46 AM
Finding a way to get Armor of Agathys off the Warlock first level spell can be nice. The spell is very good when up cast in higher slots and you'll have Uncanny Dodge and Shield to make it last.