PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette?

Chazar
2007-07-19, 04:17 AM
Hello? Can someone explain why the thread about the "last comic cookie" that I posted in yesterday was closed?

I consider this as pretty rude. If I have done the wrong thing somehow, then please tell me what it was, for I cannot see any fault on my behalf for the time being.

I though this sub-forum were the right place for site related issues and suggestion. Instead of opening a new thread, I searched the board and found a matching preexisting thread, which I then revived. I thought this is how one should be behave instead of starting new threads. Especially, since that thread contained a positive echo from an administrator, but was left open ended. The admin wrote that he will investigate the suggestion made, so I think it is fair to ask several month later what has happened here, no?

Apparently I am missing something here. So please explain to me instead of just locking things up. Thank you! :smallannoyed:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-19, 04:39 AM
It is considered thread necromancy and is frowned upon here.

You are free to open a new thread instead if a recent one does not exist.

In any case the only answer you would receive at the moment would be something along the following lines:

We are dealing with the bandwidth and server load capacity issues. Please bear with us as we resolve these issues. Some features may be temporarily or permanently disabled. We are addressing the issue and appreciate your patience.

Quincunx
2007-07-19, 05:01 AM
A slightly longer explanation: Part of 'reducing the server load' is discouraging any use of the search function or anything else that forces the forum to re-load an entire subforum. Digging up old threads, the polite option on many other forums, strains this server too much. Usually, before locking a resurrected thread, a mod DOES post a sentence about in in that thread--must've forgotten this time. The suggestion itself, with the code or commands or whatchamacallit to implement it, was very nicely presented.

Azrael
2007-07-19, 07:55 AM
Threadromancy has always been against the rules here, regardless of current server load issues. The Rules of Posting are perfectly clear about that.

First: Threadromancy.

Second: The proposal was answered by another poster, if not as eloquently, certainly as meaningfully as the appropriate administrators would have. Not by or with any authority, mind you, but by mere pattern recognition.

Third: The thread quickly went way off topic.

Although ... eh, this next sentiment is worth a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51199), in my mind.

Chazar
2007-07-20, 02:48 AM
Well, I see. I saw the Forum's pretty particular policy on necromancy, and while it makes some sense about the Comic discussion thread, I did not see the point of not reviving a thread about a purely technical issue, were there isn't any emotion or opinion involved. Weird policy nevertheless, but of course it easier for me not to use the search function anyway and start spamming my own threads...

Thanks for the kind explanations anyway... :smallsmile:

Azrael
2007-07-20, 08:45 AM
I saw the Forum's pretty particular policy on necromancy, and while it makes some sense about the Comic discussion thread, I did not see the point of not reviving a thread about a purely technical issue, were there isn't any emotion or opinion involved.

Helpful Hint: The Rules exist for a reason. They apply to everyone, regardless of an individual thinking that they know better.

And honestly, I'd bet a potted petunia that the lock was more off-topic based than anything else.

Charity
2007-07-20, 09:03 AM
I cannot imagine why you might think such a thing.
*whistles innocently*

Most of the threads round here have a very short shelf life, the Q's are usually resolved in a couple of posts, then some folk just can't help being daft.