PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Tavel Pace

lkwpeter
2017-01-13, 03:31 AM
Hey,

the rules about unmounted traveling are very clear (PHB 181).

But I have two questions concerning mounted traveling:

The rules state that you can gallop for an hour. How many times can you do so per day? How long does a mount have a travel at normal pace to gallop again?
The rules say that "A mounted character can ride at a gallop for about an hour, covering twice the usual distance for a fast pace." I believe that means the distance shown in the table on p. 182, right? Or is it the horse's own pace?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

hymer
2017-01-13, 07:23 AM
The rules state that you can gallop for an hour. How many times can you do so per day? How long does a mount have a travel at normal pace to gallop again?

It seems to me the intention is that you can gallop for one hour per day. The horse needs a rest to gallop again, and moving at normal travel speed is not restful.

The rules say that "A mounted character can ride at a gallop for about an hour, covering twice the usual distance for a fast pace." I believe that means the distance shown in the table on p. 182, right? Or is it the horse's own pace?

The text indicates that movement speed has no direct effect on how fast you travel longer distances. So I agree with you there.

lkwpeter
2017-01-13, 07:42 AM
It seems to me the intention is that you can gallop for one hour per day. The horse needs a rest to gallop again, and moving at normal travel speed is not restful.
First of all, thanks for you reply! Yes, I am your opinion: Galopping should only be allowed, if the mount can rest afterwards. So the travel pace can only take an advantage out of it, if you galop the last hour of the journey. Otherwise the resting would compensate the gallop and the travel pace is the same than without galloping. So, galloping is especially good for small distances that can be reached within an hour.

The text indicates that movement speed has no direct effect on how fast you travel longer distances. So I agree with you there.
Thanks. That's how I read it too.

Exhaustion while riding a horse:

Would you ask for an exhaustion check ...

a) for the rider? After how many hours?
b) for the mount? After how many hours?
c) Is that somehow covered by the RAW?