PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying is there a sign language in D&D?

Lost_Nomad
2017-01-13, 04:15 AM
I was thinking about it and I'm sure you could have a deaf character, either by birth or accident etc and I was wondering if there is a sign language that you can learn as a language?

Baldin
2017-01-13, 04:18 AM
Hi,

I'm don't know much about 5e, however in 3,5 there was a language called Drow Sign Language. Might be it exists in 5e aswell. Otherwise just ask your DM^^

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-13, 04:43 AM
Hi,

I'm don't know much about 5e, however in 3,5 there was a language called Drow Sign Language. Might be it exists in 5e aswell. Otherwise just ask your DM^^

Languages are always setting-dependent. It's usually safe to assume DSL exists, but other sign languages are at the discretion of the DM.

Regitnui
2017-01-13, 05:39 AM
Let's take that question and expand it. I'm assuming that deaf and blind people (assuming that lesser restoration doesn't cure hereditary deaf-/blindness) can be communicated with somehow in most civilised areas of D&D worlds. The existence of the halfling House Jorasco and their long-term care facilities would make me believe that someone in Eberron has at least made an effort to design a Common Sign Language for the deaf of Khorvaire. I don't know the gods of Faerun well enough to make a similar assumption for FR, and since Dark Sun is... well, Dark Sun, I'm going to assume there aren't enough people who'd need a sign language there, between telepathy and the harsh desert world.

But, let's step back for a moment; Mechanically, a deaf character suffers the deafened condition permanently, which a 2nd-level spell can cure. This wouldn't be cheap, but it would be well within the reach of an adventurer. While I'm not saying that you can't play a deaf character, I do think it's worth asking why your character is still deaf when your local temple/Jorasco clinic/party member can cure you.

Alternatively, how could your character have been spoken to up until now? Did they learn to lip read in a world where humanoids have similar, but different, mouth and jaw shapes? Are they literate and had messages written on a blackboard? As in Dark Sun above, were they granted limited telepathy?

Interesting question.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-13, 08:34 AM
We know that some kind of sign language existed as far back as the 5th Century BC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sign_language), courtesy of Plato, so it's certainly conceivable.

Falcon X
2017-01-13, 09:18 AM
Sure, why not. It's your game, so either say there is or their isn't.

Now if you are asking specifically about the Forgotten Realms, that's another story. Only thing I know about is Drow Sign Language... maybe thieves cant provides some basic signs.

Fishyninja
2017-01-13, 02:35 PM
maybe thieves cant provides some basic signs.

That would be my closest guess as it is slang, code and jargon, nothing states that the code has to be spoken. Imagine Shadowmarks from Skyrim but in Sign Language format. Or if you do know BSL/AUSL/ASL or any of the others use it in the RP you'll earn brownie points form the DM

ClearlyTough69
2017-01-14, 05:14 AM
...would make me believe that someone in Eberron has at least made an effort to design a Common Sign Language for the deaf of Khorvaire.

I would think it more likely that the deaf people of Khorvaire would come up with their own sign language organically!

Regitnui
2017-01-14, 06:42 AM
I would think it more likely that the deaf people of Khorvaire would come up with their own sign language organically!

Or however sign languages are created in reality. Point is that Khorvaire is sufficiently connected to have a Common Sign Language.

Addaran
2017-01-14, 01:45 PM
But, let's step back for a moment; Mechanically, a deaf character suffers the deafened condition permanently, which a 2nd-level spell can cure. This wouldn't be cheap, but it would be well within the reach of an adventurer. While I'm not saying that you can't play a deaf character, I do think it's worth asking why your character is still deaf when your local temple/Jorasco clinic/party member can cure you.

Kinda this. I didn't think of it first, but the wording does suggest it works on "natural" blindness/deafness" and it's relatively easy to get.

Even if the sign language does exist, realistically, almost nobody would know it. IRL, pretty much the only persons that learn it are people that will work with deaf people, translator or family/friends of someone deaf. So it wouldn't really help when you're in a random shop to trade, when you're trying to persuade the bandits not to attack or trying to explain to the guard why you're in a private propriety in the middle of the night.

Logically, you could have a sign language that works well with your teammates if you guys are together since a while. So at least inter-party communication would work.

edit: Also, casters could understand it ( Comprehend Language) and maybe there's a spell that allow to learn "all language".

Draco4472
2017-01-14, 02:57 PM
In faerun the Drow have a series of hand-signs used to communicate information silently. Your DM might allow you to reflavor Thieves' Cant for this, or invent it as a new language option.

But being deaf, you can still speak, and manage to read lips, is it necessary to know sign-language?

Mith
2017-01-14, 03:10 PM
But being deaf, you can still speak, and manage to read lips, is it necessary to know sign-language

Yes.

Just because one can potentially use communication tools that do not fit the means of communication available to the individual, doesn't mean that there should not be a skill set developed that the individual can use freely.

One should always strive to get people operating at their highest potential, not just what is easiest for the majority. And people will strive to get themselves to that point the best they can.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh. As someone who is hearing impaired, although was able to go through normal schooling and not a School for the Deaf, this can be a strong topic for me, especially since my hearing will never get any better than it is now. :smallamused:

Lo'Tek
2017-01-14, 06:19 PM
The Drow sign language at its simplest is comparable to military hand signs. Things like "stop" "hide" "two unknowns, possible enemies" "left" "two enemies" "cover right" "i am going in" have short, clear signs. A sentence like "I would like to purchase two latte machiatto, please" hower can not be expressed, for lack of a sign for "latte machiatto". "Purchase" might have a sign as some transactions are done in silence, but it is rather unusual and may not generally be understood. Could possible be substitutet by "Give me". "Please" could be a fairly complex combination of signs that could better be translated as "I accept your leadership (in this matter)". In "Drow of the underdark" it is written that the specifics of DSL are up to the DM and the players and are not ruled "by the book", so do not wonder if someone else tells you that "purchase" "please" and "machiatto" are common signs in DSL.
Then there is a second set of signs that fall in the category of authorisation. "i am allowed to be here". If you expect to not be attacked by the guard at a hidden entrance to a drow building, you better show the correct sign. Which is only known to those who are allowed to use the entrance and can change over time. Like a passphrase.
In short DSL is not designed for the needs of the deaf, as deaf children in drow society have a rather short life expectancy. It is not a complete language and I would not allow players to hold a complex abstract conversation with it. Yet it is not as simple as i first put it: DSL is not just signs made with the hands. Signs are formed with the full body, including facial expressions, stance, or how much you show of yourself. So "latte machiatto" might be expressable, if there is one around, simple by looking at it.
This gives us a hint of drow society. A drow who does not control his facial expressions would be considered to "talk to much" and might have trouble telling a lie using spoken words, without others noticing. Drow do not get secondary skills out of this, but i would recommend any drow player to take Insight and Perception.
DSL is learned over the years at childhood and in general can not be learned by others in its full form. Drow do not teach it to others, with the slight exception of thrall species, which have picked up fragments of it: An orc who lived under drows might know the signs that tell him to charge forward.

Thieves cant is generally a code language set up on top of another language and as such has as many dialects as there are guilds. A conversation like "I met Tilo Thomason at the store yesterday" "What was he buying?" "Just some food" could mean "He is currently not at home" "I'm interested, is it worth my time?" "He isn't rich, but you might find something". It is not unthinkable that symbols and marks are used by some guilds, as mentioned by Fishyninja, however most guilds do not mark their hideouts, because that would be mighty stupid. If the mark is ever leaked to the guards, they are done. Thieves working together might have hand signs to signal things like "Guards" without making noise. These have limited vocabulary and are often only known by members of the same guild. There is no international umbrella association of thieves that gives out specifications. There is however a well known and internationally understood way of telling someone "this is our turf, beat it". It is so easy to understand, even a fighter "gets the message".

So there is a sign language that is quite well understood almost everywhere in which you can express "I would like to purchase two latte machiatto, please.": Point at the drink, show two fingers, put some coins on the table and smile. Ironically a drow thief is the one who does not understand that and will hand you a strong poison instead. Also note that index and middle finger with the back of the hand shown is considered an insult in some regions of our world, but they will not hold it against you once they understand you do not know their language, do not know the finer details of their culture and just try to get two drinks.

Another one that might interest you is Plains Sign Language, which was used by the native americans and is exactly what you are looking for.

Then there is the option of a monastery where a vow of silence is typical. Such an organisation might have a sign language to allow limited communication like "Could you come and help me", "Not now i have important duties" "Where is the abbot?" "I don't know" "Meditating" "Chapel" "Kitchen" "Garden".

However playing a deaf/mute character in a setting where a commonly understood sign language exists defeats the whole purpose. The point of such a character concept is to not be able to just talk at the table and say that in character it is in sign language. If you do it, talk to your DM and group first and find out if they would be ok with using primarily body language. Also play a mute because that means the restriction to body language applies to you and while the other players may need to interpret it, they can still talk to you. Playing a deaf character shifts the work to the other players and on a metagaming level you still know everything they said, unless you are actually deaf.

As a DM i would not allow a player to use deafness as a hindrance in a point buy system, as i would generally assume the intention is to powergame and the actual hindrance is handwaved as soon as possible using magic or metagaming. I might allow it only if no advantage during character creation is linked to it and might award experience if it is used as a hook for exceptional roleplaying.

Arkhios
2017-01-15, 07:29 AM
In all honesty, I think that is purely a matter of discussion between the player and the DM.

I, for one, once made a character who spoke a native language to his people and after telling of the idea to my DM, he okayed it just like that.

Whether something like languages exist beyond some books or not is unneccessary complication.