PDA

View Full Version : Magic Missile Immune creatures?

Spectre9000
2017-01-13, 08:46 AM
What creatures are immune to Magic Missile? I know obviously though with force immunity, but are there any creatures that have the Shield spell or an effect similar to its immunity to specifically magic missiles?

dejarnjc
2017-01-13, 10:07 AM
What creatures are immune to Magic Missile? I know obviously though with force immunity, but are there any creatures that have the Shield spell or an effect similar to its immunity to specifically magic missiles?

Immune: Rakshasa, possibly a Helmed Horror (DM chooses 3 spell immunities), mummy lord's heart, anything that can cast globe of invulnerability (i.e. archamge).

Can cast shield: Couatl, Drow Mage, Flameskull, Githzerai monk/zerth, Lich, Mind flayer arcanist, gynosphinx, arcanaloth, mage.

That's all I can find in the regular Monster Manual at the moment.

Douche
2017-01-13, 11:07 AM
Mirror Image would make magic missile miss, wouldn't it?

I mean they have to roll correctly just to hit the correct target. It would automatically destroy your duplicate, but you're still effectively dodging a magic missile.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-01-13, 11:38 AM
Mirror Image would make magic missile miss, wouldn't it?

I mean they have to roll correctly just to hit the correct target. It would automatically destroy your duplicate, but you're still effectively dodging a magic missile.

As was hashed out ad-nauseum, this isn't actually the case by RAW (or at least it's disputed). The majority view is that mirror image only takes effect on attack rolls (which magic missle doesn't make). The minority view is your view.

Note: let's please not rehash that argument--it went nowhere and did nothing (useful).

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-13, 01:28 PM
Immune: Rakshasa, possibly a Helmed Horror (DM chooses 3 spell immunities), mummy lord's heart, anything that can cast globe of invulnerability (i.e. archamge).

Can cast shield: Couatl, Drow Mage, Flameskull, Githzerai monk/zerth, Lich, Mind flayer arcanist, gynosphinx, arcanaloth, mage.

That's all I can find in the regular Monster Manual at the moment.

Helmed Horrors are immune to force damage, so they're always immune.

Maxilian
2017-01-13, 02:39 PM
This Thread makes sad my Orc Wizard, how can he keep his "Never Miss" Title if you do this!? D:

Mellack
2017-01-13, 03:37 PM
This Thread makes sad my Orc Wizard, how can he keep his "Never Miss" Title if you do this!? D:

Don't be sad. I would still say the missiles hit, they just do not do any damage to immune targets. Your streak is still good!

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-13, 03:42 PM
Don't be sad. I would still say the missiles hit, they just do not do any damage to immune targets. Your streak is still good!

Indeed. It's not that you missed, it's that the goalkeeper caught it.

dejarnjc
2017-01-13, 04:10 PM
Helmed Horrors are immune to force damage, so they're always immune.

Huh, that's absolutely true. Now I wonder why they are thematically immune to force damage? And also, why is everything and its mother immune to poison damage in the MM? I suppose that one's probably been discussed ad infinitum.

DracoKnight
2017-01-13, 04:42 PM
Huh, that's absolutely true. Now I wonder why they are thematically immune to force damage? And also, why is everything and its mother immune to poison damage in the MM? I suppose that one's probably been discussed ad infinitum.

Because most poisons are crafted to effect humanoids, and most things in the MM lack a humanoid biology. That's my reasoning, anyways.

Spectre9000
2017-01-13, 06:14 PM
Because most poisons are crafted to effect humanoids, and most things in the MM lack a humanoid biology. That's my reasoning, anyways.

How do you reason a Green Dragons poison not affecting other creatures? Or any of the other number of naturally produced poisons various creatures have and use against other creatures? Also, how do you reason Dwarves, as humanoids, are resistant to humanoid poison?

Maxilian
2017-01-13, 06:24 PM
How do you reason a Green Dragons poison not affecting other creatures? Or any of the other number of naturally produced poisons various creatures have and use against other creatures? Also, how do you reason Dwarves, as humanoids, are resistant to humanoid poison?

IMHO Wizard should add a "magic poison" that is basically what Green Dragons use and other (rare) creatures use to stop having poison as a garbage option for damage (And i love the idea of a Sorcerer based on poison damage :smallfrown: )

Note: I guess Dwarves have resistance cause they are nothing more than a race of masochist that have, for many generations, consumed a vast quantity of poisons to forget about the joyless world under the mountains and suffering from the heat of the ever eternal work in the anvil.

Spectre9000
2017-01-13, 06:31 PM
IMHO Wizard should add a "magic poison" that is basically what Green Dragons use and other (rare) creatures use to stop having poison as a garbage option for damage (And i love the idea of a Sorcerer based on poison damage :smallfrown: )

You could go with a necrotic/acid damage based Sorcerer and flavor it as really powerful (or magical) poison.

DracoKnight
2017-01-13, 06:32 PM

That's where the logic breaks down, but it solves most of it :smalltongue: Don't get me wrong, it still annoys me that there are 102 things immune to poison (only 4 things resist it).

MrStabby
2017-01-13, 07:44 PM

I think helmed horrors are there to force parties to shake things up a bit. Immune to stun forces new tactics onto monks. Immune to force damage does the same to warlocks. Selection of 3 spells to be immune to forces casters to chose spells other than class staples (for what it's worth I build mine to be immune to Spirit guardians, fireball and heat metal - although if SCAG cantrips were to be used at my table they might make the list). High AC forces players to consider options like shoves and grapples (bearing in mind they fly as well) and spells and effects that need a save.

Helmed horrors have modest damage and pitiful HP and are not usually that dangerous for their CR, but they get harder to defeat the better optimised the party is.