PDA

View Full Version : EEPC Absorb Elements, Somantic Component?!?! USELESS! (mostly)

TentacleSurpris
2017-01-13, 01:21 PM
Absorb Elements has a SOMANTIC component??!! So my Ranger can't cast it with hands full (i.e if dual wielding, using a shield, or a 2h weapon)? When the heck am I ever going to use it? What kind of Ranger does combat with a free hand? A DM might rule that a longbow only occupies 1 hand when not firing it (as per logic), though that's not RAW, but even then, Absorb Elements only adds damage to your next melee attack.

GJLioqop32igupq982pgok GRRRRR

WIll somebody with a twitter account please ask Mike and Jeremy if they meant to screw this up that hard?

rooneg
2017-01-13, 01:26 PM
Absorb Elements has a SOMANTIC component??!! So my Ranger can't cast it with hands full (i.e if dual wielding, using a shield, or a 2h weapon)? When the heck am I ever going to use it? What kind of Ranger does combat with a free hand? A DM might rule that a longbow only occupies 1 hand when not firing it (as per logic), though that's not RAW, but even then, Absorb Elements only adds damage to your next melee attack.

GJLioqop32igupq982pgok GRRRRR

WIll somebody with a twitter account please ask Mike and Jeremy if they meant to screw this up that hard?

Most people seem to interpret things such that two handed weapons don't keep you from casting spells (see, for example, much discussion of Eldritch Knights with Greatswords). So the bow seems fine. If you want to cast spells that have somatic components while wielding two weapons or a weapon and shield pick up the War Caster feat.

gfishfunk
2017-01-13, 01:28 PM
So what you are saying is that it requires the War Caster feat or a duelist without a shield in hand? Or an inkling that an incoming elemental damage might be incoming and preparation by stowing a weapon prior to ending the turn?

That doesn't sound like a screw-up. It sounds like a game design.

Specter
2017-01-13, 01:30 PM
Having a bow or greatsword on your hand does not mean you're holding it with two hands. Thus, archers and great-weapon fighters are free to use it whenever.

For two-weapon fighters and shield users, this does get tricky. But hey, that's why I love War Caster!

Tanarii
2017-01-13, 01:38 PM
Most people seem to interpret things such that two handed weapons don't keep you from casting spells (see, for example, much discussion of Eldritch Knights with Greatswords). So the bow seems fine. If you want to cast spells that have somatic components while wielding two weapons or a weapon and shield pick up the War Caster feat.IMO they should have required an object interaction to switch between holding and wielding (ie able to use for attacking, including OAs, and not able to) for 2H weapons. OTOH that'd be even more fiddly and the S component rules are already fiddly enough.

But yeah, if you want to be able to cast S-component reaction spells, you either need a free hand (including using a 2H weapon), or to be a Cleric/Paladin with a Holy Symbol emblazoned shield and for it also to be a M-component spell, or have the War Caster feat.

comk59
2017-01-13, 01:57 PM
More like SEMANTIC component, am I right?

... sorry, I'll leave.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-01-13, 02:21 PM
Psions have psychosomatic components, they just think they're burning through thousands of gp's worth of treasure, but in reality the party rogue is stashing it all away.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-15, 12:36 PM
More like SEMANTIC component, am I right?

... sorry, I'll leave.

Heh.

Also, RAW it doesn't require two hands just to hold the weapon, only to use it.

So you can definitely cast with a bow. (Assuming you were able to make an attack).