PDA

View Full Version : 'Continual Flame' and 'Darkness'

rudy
2017-01-13, 03:17 PM
Hopefully easy question:

Does 'continual flame' cast using a 3rd level slot count as a "spell of 2nd level or lower"?

I'm wondering for the interaction with the 'darkness' spell.

Millstone85
2017-01-13, 03:23 PM
Not, it counts as a 3rd-level spell.
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic missile is 2nd level.

Plaguescarred
2017-01-13, 03:34 PM
Hopefully easy question:

Does 'continual flame' cast using a 3rd level slot count as a "spell of 2nd level or lower"?

I'm wondering for the interaction with the 'darkness' spell.Yes casting continual flame using a 3rd-level slot that assumes it is now a 3rd level.

I believe if any darkness’ area overlaps with an area of light created by a continual flame spell of 3rd level, the continual flame wouldn't not be dispelled but it would still not light the magical darkness.

rudy
2017-01-13, 03:37 PM
Not, it counts as a 3rd-level spell.
Cool

I believe if any darkness’ area overlaps with an area of light created by a continual flame spell of 3rd level, the continual flame wouldn't not be dispelled but it would still not light the magical darkness.
Besides "balance", or GM-rule, why not? The text of darkness says "...nonmagical light can't illuminate it." That does seem to imply, very heavily, that magical light can illuminate it, no?

Plaguescarred
2017-01-13, 03:41 PM
Some Sage Advice on this http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

Can you cast darkness with a higher level slot to end a spell of 3rd level or higher that creates light? No. The darkness spell can dispel only a light-creating spell of 2nd level or lower, no matter what spell slot is used for darkness. Similarly, the daylight spell can dispel only a darkness-creating spell of 3rd level or lower, regardless of the spell slot used.

rudy
2017-01-13, 03:48 PM
Some Sage Advice on this http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

Can you cast darkness with a higher level slot to end a spell of 3rd level or higher that creates light? No. The darkness spell can dispel only a light-creating spell of 2nd level or lower, no matter what spell slot is used for darkness. Similarly, the daylight spell can dispel only a darkness-creating spell of 3rd level or lower, regardless of the spell slot used.

This only tells me that the continual flame doesn't dispel the darkness spell, which I never thought that it did. Difference between lighting the area and dispelling it, though.

Plaguescarred
2017-01-13, 03:53 PM
This only tells me that the continual flame doesn't dispel the darkness spell, which I never thought that it did. Difference between lighting the area and dispelling it, though.There is no indication one way or another, i assume letting it illuminate the darkness without dispelling would be fine.

rudy
2017-01-13, 03:54 PM

That's interesting, though. Because that implies that if, say, someone casts 'darkness' using a 4th level slot, and someone else casts 'daylight', neither one is dispelled. What would happen if they overlap is not well defined, but I would just rule the effects of both are nullified in the area that they overlap.

Millstone85
2017-01-13, 04:02 PM
That's interesting, though. Because that implies that if, say, someone casts 'darkness' using a 4th level slot, and someone else casts 'daylight', neither one is dispelled. What would happen if they overlap is not well defined, but I would just rule the effects of both are nullified in the area that they overlap.Here is something I draw for a similar thread:
http://i.imgur.com/sYqDTsn.png

Plaguescarred
2017-01-13, 04:04 PM
That's interesting, though. Because that implies that if, say, someone casts 'darkness' using a 4th level slot, and someone else casts 'daylight', neither one is dispelled. What would happen if they overlap is not well defined, but I would just rule the effects of both are nullified in the area that they overlap.I found this tweet from Jeremy Crawford that says the darkness spell can't be made more powerful with a higher level slot - presumably because it has no At Higher Level effect.

Perhaps the same apply to continual flame...

@Dan_Dillon Can you cast darkness at a higher level slot to nix a spell such as fire shield?
‏@JeremyECrawford As written, the darkness spell can't be made more powerful with a higher level slot.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/524712732528873472

rudy
2017-01-13, 04:08 PM
I found this tweet from Jeremy Crawford that says the darkness spell can't be made more powerful with a higher level slot - presumably because it has no At Higher Level effect.

Perhaps the same apply to continual flame...

@Dan_Dillon Can you cast darkness at a higher level slot to nix a spell such as fire shield?
‏@JeremyECrawford As written, the darkness spell can't be made more powerful with a higher level slot.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/524712732528873472
Maybe it's not more powerful, but unless they are contradicting the other sage advice, and the rules, then you can cast any spell using a higher level spell slot, and then it becomes a spell of that level. A higher level darkness would certainly not nix a fire shield, or hurt light spells above 2nd level, but it would be resistant to being dispelled by Daylight, by definition of what is written.

rudy
2017-01-13, 04:09 PM
Here is something I draw for a similar thread:
http://i.imgur.com/sYqDTsn.png

Neat. Why do you think the Daylight spell over-rides the 4th level darkness spell, necessarily?

Millstone85
2017-01-13, 04:12 PM
Neat. Why do you think the Daylight spell over-rides the 4th level darkness spell, necessarily?It is as you said.

The text of darkness says "...nonmagical light can't illuminate it." That does seem to imply, very heavily, that magical light can illuminate it
Difference between lighting the area and dispelling it

rudy
2017-01-13, 04:17 PM
It is as you said.

Ah. Touche', and good point. I think as GM I will just rule that if light/darkness spells don't dispel each other, then they are both nullified in the region that they overlap.

Millstone85
2017-01-13, 04:35 PM
Ah. Touche', and good point. I think as GM I will just rule that if light/darkness spells don't dispel each other, then they are both nullified in the region that they overlap.So there would be an "oval of ambiant lighting" between the two areas? Like the middle here would be whatever the rest of the room is?
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-d72a51b8165551f908f2daf33073b908
Or are we talking about the magic going away in the middle, leaving only the interaction of mundane light with mundane absence of light?

rudy
2017-01-13, 05:05 PM
So there would be an "oval of ambiant lighting" between the two areas? Like the middle here would be whatever the rest of the room is?
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-d72a51b8165551f908f2daf33073b908
Or are we talking about the magic going away in the middle, leaving only the interaction of mundane light with mundane absence of light?

Essentially the magic goes away in the middle. In most cases I think that would be equivalent to it being whatever the rest of the room is. Essentially I'm imagining both spells working to suppress the other, and getting nowhere, leaving the mundane lighting (if any) to fill in.

However, I may just go with "lighting wins" if this actually comes up, simply because it's easier.

Provo
2017-01-13, 05:13 PM
Natural darkness can't smother natural light. Darkness is just the absence of light, not some opposed force.

As such, I would think that magical darkness couldn't override anything that is not specifically called out (natural light and lower level magic light). The magical interaction would be analogous to the natural interaction if the spells don't overpower each other.

... That being said, I think Rudy's ruling is also an excellent solution.

Dalebert
2017-01-14, 11:26 AM
Strictly RAW, Millstone's diagram seems correct. Take it step by step.

1) Darkness cannot be illuminated by non-magical light. The implication is magical like CAN illuminate it just as it illuminates any other darkness.

2) IF the magical light spell is 2nd level or lower, it gets dispelled when they overlap per the text of Darkness, thus preventing that illumination from happening. Casting Darkness at a higher level doesn't change this number. It's still a spell of 2nd level or lower that gets dispelled. Casting the illumination spell at higher than 2nd level will prevent it from being dispelled by Darkness.

3) Any light spell of 3rd level or higher won't be dispelled and thus will (at least) illuminate the darkness, essentially over-riding it.

4) IF it's a Daylight spell, its text specifically says it dispels darkness spells of 3rd level or lower. So not only will it illuminate the darkness regardless, but IF the Darkness spell was cast with a third level or lower slot, it will be dispelled. This doesn't work if you flip it around--see above. A 4th level Darkness spell will be illuminated while they overlap but neither will dispel the other regardless of the slot used for the Daylight spell.

Conclusions:
1) Cast your Continual Flame with a 3rd level slot to ensure it never gets dispelled by Darkness and it will illuminate the Darkness without dispelling it. I suggest you always do that if possible since it's costly and permanent.
2) If you cast Darkness with a 4th level slot, you ensure it from getting dispelled by Daylight, but it will still be illuminated by any light-creating spell that it fails to dispel.