PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Endowed Mind [Metapsionic] - Can I spend only 2 points or can I spend more?

ghostdriver
2017-01-13, 05:46 PM
The Endowed Mind feat states that I can "spend 2 power points to increase a power’s save DC even if the power does not have any augment options".

Does that mean I can ONLY spend 2 points? Or (as a 13th level Vitalist) can I spend 12 power points and add 6?

My DM says that the wording only says you can spend 2. So he's capping me at 2. Is that how it reads?

Below is the Feat info:

Endowed Mind [Metapsionic]
You can make your powers more difficult to resist.

Benefit: As long as you maintain psionic focus, increase the save DC of any power you manifest by 1 for every 2 power points you spend augmenting the power, provided the augmentation does not already increase the power’s save DC. You may even spend 2 power points to increase a power’s save DC even if the power does not have any augment options.

barakaka
2017-01-13, 06:44 PM
Pretty sure forum rules say you need to stuff that feat text in a spoiler tag.

With that out of the way, I see it with strict RAW that you can only augment once via the secondary clause. That is to say, you have a power that doesn't augment normally, you can spend 2 points to boost its save DC by 1... That's it. My reasoning behind it is that the first sentence mentions for every augment, and the second sentence fails to call out that the power points spent in the second function are spent augmenting that power.

This is utter lunacy though, because the RAI clearly wants you to be able to use this boost multiple times. The second sentence is just adding functionality to the first, and the feat even has a safeguard so you can't double up anyway, so it's not a balance issue. I'd say that your DM is focusing really hard on the RAW, when really for something like this, the RAW just makes gameplay awkward. The RAI is that all of your powers be scaling so you don't get Wizard syndrome with spells that are really cool for a couple of levels and become useless after. "Ok, so which of my 23 powers are boostable more than once?" That sounds like more book keeping on a system that already requires tons of book keeping. Intuitive mechanics lead to a more streamlined and fun experience; if you don't believe me, look at the grapple system vs the skill system.

ghostdriver
2017-01-17, 01:56 PM
Barakaka,

Thanks for correcting me... I forgot about the spoiler.

I thought it was reasonable to be able to spend more than 2 points.

Appreciate the feedback.