PDA

View Full Version : Spell Casting Limit

Spectre9000
2017-01-13, 06:10 PM
So, I've been told you can only cast one spell and a cantrip per turn. The only thing I've seen backing this up is the bonus action section of casting a spell chapter. In that section it simply stats you can only cast a cantrip for the rest of your turn if you cast a spell as a bonus action. Reading this it seems to me, if I were to cast a spell as my action, and use action surge, I could cast another non-cantrip spell so long as I don't cast a spell as a bonus action.

Is this true, or is there some other written rulings I've not seen?

pwykersotz
2017-01-13, 06:13 PM
So, I've been told you can only cast one spell and a cantrip per turn. The only thing I've seen backing this up is the bonus action section of casting a spell chapter. In that section it simply stats you can only cast a cantrip for the rest of your turn if you cast a spell as a bonus action. Reading this it seems to me, if I were to cast a spell as my action, and use action surge, I could cast another non-cantrip spell so long as I don't cast a spell as a bonus action.

Is this true, or is there some other written rulings I've not seen?

Action Surge breaks the one non-cantrip spell per turn limit per Sage Advice. (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/586650411395719169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

Spectre9000
2017-01-13, 06:16 PM
Action Surge breaks the one non-cantrip spell per turn limit per Sage Advice. (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/586650411395719169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

Umm, what do you mean by it breaking the limit? Sage advice seems to state it doesn't break the limit and it's allowed, but you can't cast a Bonus Action Spell if you do, which was my understanding.

Erys
2017-01-13, 06:23 PM
Umm, what do you mean by it breaking the limit? Sage advice seems to state it doesn't break the limit and it's allowed, but you can't cast a Bonus Action Spell if you do, which was my understanding.

This is correct.

So with action surge you could zing two fireballs, so long as both used an action to cast.

If you meta-quicken a fireball as a bonus action, you could only follow up with two cantrips for your action and action surge.

Nemenia
2017-01-13, 09:50 PM
I think you're missing the point. without another action you CAN'T cast two spells. Action surge gives you another action. Sorc lets you use it as a bonus action (which just leaves a cantrip) You can only cast one a turn because there's no way to get another action to cast a second spell a turn without something like this.

MrStabby
2017-01-13, 09:53 PM
I think you're missing the point. without another action you CAN'T cast two spells. Action surge gives you another action. Sorc lets you use it as a bonus action (which just leaves a cantrip) You can only cast one a turn because there's no way to get another action to cast a second spell a turn without something like this.

But without the rules like that you could cast a spell like spiritual weapon that takes a bonus action and cast a spell like bless that takes an action. As it is, you can't.