PDA

View Full Version : Themed Spell Sets

Ruethgar
2017-01-13, 07:26 PM
I have a build I just made and it gets a small set of at will spells from any list and I was wondering what set would be the most optimal, but moreover which ones would best fit certain themes. Storm, plant, desert, fire, and creation.

The spell array is as follows. All officially recognized/licensed/published WotC material is fair game.

Lvl 1:4
Lvl 2:2
Lvl 3:3
Lvl 4:4
Lvl 5:2
Lvl 6:1

Of course any spell can be shifted down any number of levels but not up. So if you wanted 4 third levels and only 3 fourths for example.

Desert: Psicrystal Cleric of Undeath and Warforged

Lvl 0:1 Create Water
Lvl 1:2 War Create Earth, Waste Strider
Lvl 2:2 Gust of Wind, Halo of Sand
Lvl 3:4 Haboob, Updraft, Storm Mote, Control Sand
Lvl 4:5 Eye of the Hurricane, Wind's Favor, Sandform, Fuse Sand
Lvl 5:1 Transmute Stone to Sand
Lvl 6:1 Control Weather

Plant:

Lvl 0:1 Nurturing Seeds
Lvl 1:4 SNA I, Wood Wose, Plant Renewal, Entangle
Lvl 2:5 SNA II, Briar Web, War Animate Wood, Whip of Thorns, Wood Shape
Lvl 3:2 Plant Growth, SNA III
Lvl 4:1 SNA IV
Lvl 5:2 SNA V, Rejuvenate
Lvl 6:1 SNA VI

Storm: Psicrystal Lightning Manifesting Cleric of Air and Water

Lvl 0:1 Sonic Snap
Lvl 1:2 Thunderhead(Thunderstone), Cooling Canopy(Double Rain)
Lvl 2:3 Lightning Blade, Sound Burst, Gust of Wind
Lvl 3:5 Call Lightning, Great Thunderclap, Eye of the Storm, Wind's Favor, Elemental Familiar
Lvl 4:3 Cacophonic Shield, Eye of the Hurricane
Lvl 5:1 Lightning Leap
Lvl 6:1 Control Weather

Fire:

Lvl 0:1 Create Flame(Double Fire Breath)
Lvl 1:3 War Create Elemalific Magma(Double Healing), Animate Fire, Elemalific Produce Flame(Double Healing)
Lvl 2:2 Flame Blade
Lvl 3:3
Lvl 4:4 Wall of Fire, Hellfire
Lvl 5:2
Lvl 6:1

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-13, 09:29 PM
Those themes make me think of druid or wizard. Were you thinking of a lot of blasting-type spells?

Ruethgar
2017-01-13, 09:45 PM
Want a bit more well rounded if possible. BFC and blasting, the creation one can be just utility.

Plant I'm thinking Greenbound summoning with Summon Nature's Ally. Frost would be nice as BFC and utility. Storm can be a bit more blasty, but if there is a way to get some weather control that would be an awesome utility addition. Desert is probably going to be utility and BFC with little/no blasting. Fire would be nice as BFC/blaster, maybe flame healing with Side Effects and Draconic FR aura.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-14, 01:23 AM
Ifrom any list

Wait, do you mean one single list, or from all spells in the game?

Ruethgar
2017-01-14, 08:31 AM
Wait, do you mean one single list, or from all spells in the game?

All spells in the game. It abuses the Psychic Adept's access to all disciplines for powers known with the StP Erudite discipline. It isn't too powerful, they have pitiful powers known. Mostly I just like using TO to make thematic builds that are flexible enough to fit several character types. This one is a little limited on feats and pretty much just a caster, but the flexibility of any list is too good to pass up.

Ruethgar
2017-01-14, 07:41 PM
Have Storm and Plant done, but certainly willing to hear other suggestions on more utility spells that fit the theme. Any ideas to flush out Fire and Desert?

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-14, 10:35 PM
I'll take a look at the cleric list when I'm back at my books.

Is there a rule allowing for mm-modified spells on spells lists? The only precedent I can remember offhand was a single dragmag spell, I think it was a widened faerie fire or something as a domain spell.

Ruethgar
2017-01-14, 11:31 PM
MM modified spells are specifically prohibited, but Spell Templates are fine, a little more expensive, but doable. And the magical side effects in Dragon #302 are fine too.

Edit: Just fleshed out Desert, had some fun looking stuff, was able to get a lot of utility out of level 4 and below. Also gave me more, awesome uses of Create Earth, mmm black slip shapesand.

So looking at the three I have now, Desert is the most versatile. Create Earth can technically make Sleep Sand, Shapesand, Slipsand, Black Sand, Liqud Stone and a lot of other useful things. Plus some nice weather control and sand control.

Plant keeps the theme buts is a little middle of the road, some nice BFC though and SNA can be very useful, especially at will.

Storm is a bit too blasty until late game. But it does get some nice BFC I. The later levels and some light BFC early on with the rain. Plus deafness is a nice condition to be able to inflict constantly.