PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Flavoring up a nature clerics whooping stick

poolio
2017-01-13, 11:38 PM
Okay, so if a nature cleric goes adventuring and is always using the same stick for applying beat downs using shillelagh, would you eventually have this hunk of wood become something a little more?

Example: cleric has been given a holy task of defeating the vile fiends that oppose his might god, deciding his usual walking stick isn't exactly up to the task of imposing fear, he concludes he needs a proper weapon, but not having access to a holy avenger he says "screw it, I'll make my own!" (With blackjack and hookers optional, your god's will may very) and carves himself a wooden axe with runes and images representing his god, possibly from a holy tree that was felled by some fiend that needs a righteous reckoning, and after using it for however such time, it becomes a magic weapon!

Something like having a permanent shillelagh effect (no need to use a bonus action to cast the cantrip) and maybe a +1 to hit and damage.

It would be after a few levels of using the same wooden weapon and/or the slaying of a sworn enemy.

Just trying my hand at coming up with something unique to a character, something my dm has done for players before (which includes having a player roll a d20 on every attack with a sun sword with two hands, till he got a nat 20 to will the sword to become a greatsword from a long sword) and I'm trying to come up with flavor stuff for my players should an opportunity to do so arises, Opinions?

JoeJ
2017-01-14, 12:07 AM
If I were the DM I would be happy to let the cleric's stick gradually become magical at about the same time the other PCs in the party start gaining magic items.

poolio
2017-01-15, 01:32 PM
If I were the DM I would be happy to let the cleric's stick gradually become magical at about the same time the other PCs in the party start gaining magic items.

Thanks, have you done similar things for your players before? I'd love additional ideas on ways to personalize other classes :smallsmile:

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 01:36 PM
I'm trying to come up with flavor stuff for my players should an opportunity to do so arises, Opinions?

Depending on what gods or religions are available to your campaign, maybe your druid picked this stick from the base of a tree and knew something was special about this stick but couldn't quite place what it is and later discovers (either through attunement or whatever) that is is a branch of....

Yggdrasil or something similar.

Mith
2017-01-15, 01:45 PM
Depending on what gods or religions are available to your campaign, maybe your druid picked this stick from the base of a tree and knew something was special about this stick but couldn't quite place what it is and later discovers (either through attunement or whatever) that is is a branch of....

Yggdrasil or something similar.

I like that because you can have a vision of shadowy figures etching runes on the base of the staff that grow across the entire staff, making it a magic staff. A religion check would reveal the figures to be the Norns.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 01:46 PM
What are Norns?

Mith
2017-01-15, 01:49 PM
The Norns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norns) are the Norse equvilant to the Greek Fates, and probably have similar origins to them as well.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 01:52 PM
Fantastic. I have learnt something new.

JoeJ
2017-01-15, 06:36 PM

I've never had a player ask for that, but since there's no mechanical difference between finding a magical staff in a dungeon and having your existing staff become magical, I wouldn't have a problem as long as it fit the character.