PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ghostwalk Conversion Homebrew: The Eidolon

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-01-14, 12:48 AM
The Ghostwalk supplement book for Third Edition was...splendid. I loved it. It was a lovely collaboration between Monte Cook and Sean K Reynolds that resulted in one of the best books of the 3E era, and NO ONE seems to remember it. Despite it allowing you to keep playing your dead characters as ghosts! It was amazing!

So I wanted my players to be able to experience something similar in 5E. The result is still something of a rough draft, but I think it is a good starting point for this project. (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B002m2_KROanYmtBOHBYdnoteWs)

The Eidolon is a Prestige Class for 5e that allows one to attain Ghostly powers, but only after they've already died once! It grants a little bit of spellcasting, as well as a custom list of spells I felt went a long way towards the ghostly vibe. Other than that it shares some similarities with the 5E Ghost from the MM.

I hope someone enjoys this enough to give it some critique*. I'm afraid it isn't strong enough for a Prestige Class, but I may be wrong. Any advice would be appreciated!

*or loathes to such a level they are forced to respond just so I can know how badly I screwed this up

RazDelacroix
2017-01-14, 02:20 PM
Wait, someone ELSE that actually remembers/acknowledges the existence of Ghostwalk?! Yo! :smallsmile: I'll give it a looksie after work!

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-01-14, 10:22 PM
Wait, someone ELSE that actually remembers/acknowledges the existence of Ghostwalk?! Yo! :smallsmile: I'll give it a looksie after work!

Always good to see a fellow Ghostie!

Potato_Priest
2017-01-15, 12:52 AM
Hmmmm. Locking in Charisma as the spellcasting ability kind of stinks. I can imagine clerics and wizard coming back as these guys without sucking.

Seems pretty cool otherwise. I am glad to see that possession is a capstone.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-01-15, 02:41 AM
Hmmmm. Locking in Charisma as the spellcasting ability kind of stinks. I can imagine clerics and wizard coming back as these guys without sucking.

Undead always traditionally ran on Charisma, at least in 3.5, so I wanted to capture that little detail.

Caelestion
2017-01-18, 04:58 PM
That was pretty cool, but viewing the document crashed my phone the first time! Notch me up as another former Ghostwatch fan. :p

Have you considered giving them proficiency with Charisma saves, as that's the one concerned with possession, planar binding and the like?

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-01-19, 03:07 AM
That was pretty cool, but viewing the document crashed my phone the first time! Notch me up as another former Ghostwatch fan. :p

Have you considered giving them proficiency with Charisma saves, as that's the one concerned with possession, planar binding and the like?

I suppose that would make sense. It would be a neat perk of dying, if nothing else.