PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fear me! (Build help)

sflame56
2017-01-14, 04:31 AM
So I was thinking of making a build solely around a character that makes all his enemies fear him. This can be quite fun not only to rp but also help in crowd control for enemies. I am planning on to be a Fallen Aasimar since at level 3 you have an aoe fear that also deals necrotic damage every turn to enemies. Now one option is going Vengeance Paladin since they got a fear with their Channel Divinity: Abjure Enemy level 3 and Avenging Angel at lvl 20. Another option I was also thinking of is Warlock with the Archfey path due too Fey Presence level 1 and Dark Delirium at level 14. Now I don't know which class gets the better fear spells, or stuff like that, which is what I need help with. One thing I do ask is try to keep suggestions to adventure league legal rules so no other books then main ones since I would be using a Aasimar or custom made spells.

hymer
2017-01-14, 04:54 AM
So I was thinking of making a build solely around a character that makes all his enemies fear him. This can be quite fun not only to rp but also help in crowd control for enemies. I am planning on to be a Fallen Aasimar since at level 3 you have an aoe fear that also deals necrotic damage every turn to enemies. Now one option is going Vengeance Paladin since they got a fear with their Channel Divinity: Abjure Enemy level 3 and Avenging Angel at lvl 20. Another option I was also thinking of is Warlock with the Archfey path due too Fey Presence level 1 and Dark Delirium at level 14. Now I don't know which class gets the better fear spells, or stuff like that, which is what I need help with. One thing I do ask is try to keep suggestions to adventure league legal rules so no other books then main ones since I would be using a Aasimar or custom made spells.

Consider bard. You can get Expertise in Intimidate, and you can pick Fear as a third level spell. You can combine bard with paladin for a mighty smiter. Bards can also pick Enhance Ability to get advantage on those Intimidate checks.

sflame56
2017-01-14, 05:03 AM
Consider bard. You can get Expertise in Intimidate, and you can pick Fear as a third level spell. You can combine bard with paladin for a mighty smiter. Bards can also pick Enhance Ability to get advantage on those Intimidate checks.
That does work. What I am looking a bit more though is a lot of fear in battle. Pretty much making the character a terror on the battlefield.

hymer
2017-01-14, 05:21 AM
That does work. What I am looking a bit more though is a lot of fear in battle. Pretty much making the character a terror on the battlefield.

Traditionally, you multiclass pal2 or pal6 with a charisma caster. You could go pal3 for Vengeance or as far as pal6 (which I'd do), and then add on the bard from there. Bards also get plenty of spells that could be fluffed as fear effects: Hold Person/Monster, Compulsion, Suggestion.
Cutting Words (Lore bard 3) could also be fluffed as you scaring the four letter word out of the enemy, causing them to make mistakes.

sflame56
2017-01-14, 09:22 PM
One thing I am wondering is how good would an Archfey warlock at lvl 14 and a level 6 vengeance paladin would work togehter for this type of build. I mean you could get the tomb which gives you more options for spells and you get two really good fears from archfey.

CaptainSarathai
2017-01-14, 09:55 PM
One thing I am wondering is how good would an Archfey warlock at lvl 14 and a level 6 vengeance paladin would work togehter for this type of build. I mean you could get the tomb which gives you more options for spells and you get two really good fears from archfey.

Works exceptionally well. Especially for what you want in terms of Fear effects. That would give you, what? Resourceless Fear 2/day?
You'll go Short-Rest dependent for Smiting, but could easily Smite more than any other Paladin, and at higher levels, too.
Tome Works, although it doesn't get you anything but Cantrips and Rituals. Magic Initiate should be able to pick up anything you want and don't get from Pally/Lock (if there is anything)