PDA

View Full Version : No caster Party help

cupkeyk
2007-07-19, 08:55 AM
I am making a paladin for a no-caster party in a low magic campaign. Yeah, I have posted about my other ideas about the same campaign before but I am dead set on this one because I already named her Adiane the Elegant. If you watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I know you would love her too. So she's a no spellcasting variant paladin from complete warrior with the Dungeonscape Divine Spirit class variant. She's the secondary healer with the primary one being a crusader focusing on Devoted Spirit(Martial Spirit), TWF and a little White Raven. Though i have no doubts about her abilities as a healer, I am in need of some help in building her as a competent secondary tank.

Race: Star Elf (or lesser Aasimar if it will be allowed)
Stats: Cha, Str, Con, Dex, Int, Wis
Feats: 1-Power Attack 3-Extra Smiting 6-Brutal strike 9-Ability Focus(Brutal Strike 12-Divine Might 15-Leap Attack 18-Awesome Smite

So far I think she will have to go through all twenty levels of Paladin since I want to access all the abilities of the Divine Spirit ability. Since there would be no casters, we have decided that abilities like Brutal Strike, Sand Dancer(from Sandstorm), and Shield Slam are necessary to control our opponents efficiency. Please criticize the build on how it could be better.

The crusader would also need some tweaking if possible:
Race: Gold Dwarf
Stats: Str, Dex, Cha, Con, Wis, Int
Feats: 1-Improved Shield Bash 3-TWF 6-ITWF 9-Shield Charge 12-GTWF 15-Shield Slam 18-Ability Focus(Shield Slam)

The question being: if the crusader held a light mace in his right hand and a heavy shield on his left, can he assign his shield bash as his primary weapon and the light mace as his off hand weapon to prevent incurring the penalties of carrying a one handed weapon on his off hand by wielding a heavy shield.

The rogue/monk will be carrying small sacks of flour for situations where there is not enough soot, ash, sand or loose earth for sand dancer to be effective. He will build into shadowdancer by twelfth level so he will be a strength drain character by level 15 using Crippling blow, weakening touch and the summoned shadow. After the third level of Shadow dancer he will then switch to fighter for two levels before finishing up with more Rogue levels
Race: Human
Stats: Wis, Dex, Int, Con, Str, Cha
Feats: 1-Sand Dancer 1-Combat Expertise(Human) 3-Weapon Finesse 6-Dodge 9-Mobility 12-Weakening Touch 15-TWF 15-ITWF(fighter) 16-GTWF(fighter) 18-Savvy Rogue

He foresees getting six to seven crippling sneak attacks, a weakening touch and a touch from his shadow for 1d6+18 STR damage in around. But more or less he's is mostly skill monkey for most of the levels. He can really get some help though since the build seems weak for a very long time but it's also the most complicated. Two more levels of fighter can net him snap kick for more STR damage, I dunno. while a few more levels of monk will net him better flurry, I dunno.

The last guy is halfling knight on a dog great cleaving and dealing spirited charge damage. Easy build and very solid.

HELP!!! Thanks in Advanced.

Superglucose
2007-07-20, 12:14 AM
I built a great paladin tank just recently that I think you might try.

First, make Charisma your main stat. trust me. It's rather important.

Secondly, your only weapon is a Heavy Lance.

Get Mounted Combat/Spirited Charge, Leadership, get a dragon cohort/mount, use the 210 speed, get boots of speed for your dragon, and you move 240 feet per round. So you start 110 feet away from your target, spirited charge 220 feet. Your dragon should have flyby/wingover, so you can turn around once per turn in the air and take no movement for it, and you do not provoke an attack of opprotunity. If you are against an evil opponent, you manage to do 3x your smite+damage+strength. Very very good.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-20, 02:30 AM
And then get the Divine Might feat from CW to add your Cha bonus to damage for 1 round by burning a turn undead attempt. That feat was pratically made for paladins.

Superglucose
2007-07-20, 01:47 PM
Damn I wish I'd had you in my party... I would've been doing 200+ damage per round with that feat :smallcool:

I was on the epic leadership chart by level 16... so much fun...

cupkeyk
2007-07-20, 02:57 PM
Not that i am saying that you are not being helpful but damage is not the point but rather versatility in effects. A halfling outrider full attacking on a dire hawk totally beats any mounted build for damage, btw.

Matthew
2007-07-22, 09:26 PM
The question being: if the crusader held a light mace in his right hand and a heavy shield on his left, can he assign his shield bash as his primary weapon and the light mace as his off hand weapon to prevent incurring the penalties of carrying a one handed weapon on his off hand by wielding a heavy shield.

Short answer "yes", long answer "read the FAQ".

SithLackey
2007-07-22, 09:35 PM

Yeah, but if your DM cares about the handedness of your character, you're going to have to make sure that whatever is in your preferred hand is the primary weapon. Basically, if he's right handed the shield needs to be on his right arm to be primary.

Matthew
2007-07-22, 09:59 PM
Apparently not. Check out the Rules of the Game Articles:

Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060829a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060905a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060912a)

Quietus
2007-07-23, 12:09 AM
Fun image is of someone taking their Heavy Shield, a one-handed weapon, and using it two-handed to crack someone upside the face area. One handed weapons CAN be used like that, and it's just hilarious to think about.

cupkeyk
2007-07-23, 08:52 AM
Fun image is of someone taking their Heavy Shield, a one-handed weapon, and using it two-handed to crack someone upside the face area. One handed weapons CAN be used like that, and it's just hilarious to think about.

Actually that has already happened to me. we we're fighting an Yrthak when I rolled a natural 1 on my attack roll and DM ruled I dropped my scimitar. I had to fight with a two handed heavy shield.