PDA

View Full Version : Fey druid races?

Kiyona
2007-07-19, 09:07 AM
Hi again!

So, i gave up on my anime ranger and decided to play a druid instead. THe wildshape ability is pretty much what I was looking for. ^^

Now i need to pick a race... Among the basic races i think humans are the best choice. But i was wondering, there has to be more races that would work.

Which races gives bonuses to charisma?? Since im using it to cast my spells... I would love to play a changeling, what is the LA for those?

Thanks ^^

giblina
2007-07-19, 09:11 AM
Most of the fey races that make good druids have too high a level adjustment to make it worthwhile.

There's a half-fey savage species template that's not so bad (only +2 LA). I think there's a fey-touched one that's only +1 LA as well.

Not sure about changelings.

Talya
2007-07-19, 09:12 AM
Uh...druids use wisdom to cast spells.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-19, 09:14 AM
Changeling have a level adjustment of +0!
(and therefore kick ass)

I think there are also some variant elf races which offer charisma bonus...

Kiyona
2007-07-19, 09:16 AM
I think i was unclear there. Fey druid is a feat. It only makes me cast spels with charisma instead of wisdom. ^^

She has fey blood in her family, just as sorcerers and bards has dragon blood.

Kiyona
2007-07-19, 09:17 AM
Changeling have a level adjustment of +0!
(and therefore kick ass)

Cool! ^^

Do you now in which book i can find them?

Dragonmuncher
2007-07-19, 09:18 AM
You might want to check out a few feats the Giant made for Fey druids. They give abilities like wildshape into fey, use cha for spellcasting, and the like:

Fey druids (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/3CsX278ZDGQQ62al3RP.html)

Ah, I guess you already know about them.

Oh, and Changelings are from Eberron.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-19, 09:20 AM
Changelings are in MM3... I just checked.

Talya
2007-07-19, 09:24 AM
Ooooh. Nice feat...I have to use that sometime.

Okay...here we go:

Star Elf (+2 cha, -2 con) LA +0
Feytouched (+2 dex, -2 con, +2 cha, charm person SLA, Immune to mind affecting spells) +1 LA
Aasimar (+2 wis, +cha) LA +1

Kiyona
2007-07-19, 09:25 AM
Ok, i hope my DM will let me play a changeling since it is not a eberron campaign.

If not, are isnt there any more races with high cha?

Kaelaroth
2007-07-19, 09:27 AM
You don't have to be Eberron changeling. :smallsmile:

Koji
2007-07-19, 09:27 AM
I reccomend Feytouched Star Elf waaay above Aasimar. The +1 LA is totally worth it.

You can already shapeshift as a druid, so keep that in mind. Can Feytouched be applied to changelings? I can't remember what changelings are.

cupkeyk
2007-07-19, 09:28 AM
There are two changelings actually, one changeling, from ECS is a descendant of doppelgangers and humans and can minor shapechange for a +10 to disguise, no LA. The other is a fey that was exchanged with a baby of human or elf parents to be raised. I am not sure of the LA of that one.

If you are playing FR, there is the Star elf, -2 Con, +2 Cha from the book Shining South, I think.

Wraithy
2007-07-19, 09:29 AM
my hatred of fey is unsurpased, although perhaps by the eladrin. I you're going for something fey I suggest the Killoren from races of the wild, its just a suggestion though because fey are annoying and D&D as a game would be made tenfold more fun if there was a campaign world based solely on the idea of burning fey... alive.
if you do choose to play the character you're hinting at I recommend buying races of the wild, it contains all kinds of annoying chaotic races, all equally liable for the act of squishing :smallbiggrin:

Kiyona
2007-07-19, 09:33 AM
Oh, so many cool races. ^^ My mind boggles at the possibilitys.

Remember wraithy, im not gonna be playing a fey. Only a (insert race here) with a hint of fey blood. ^^

Well, thanks for all the help guys. Now im off to see my DM (the owner of all the books) to see if he will let me play what i want.

Wish me luck. ^^

cupkeyk
2007-07-19, 09:34 AM
Oh i want to post a suggestion that i am sure you shouldn't listen to. I love the Thorn fey from MM4 or 3. LA 4 I think. Paladins of the forest yeah.

Person_Man
2007-07-19, 09:46 AM
List of LA +0 Races (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=697653)

As a Druid, your Str, Dex, and Con should be around 10, because when you Wildshape, you take on the stats of your new form, and its pretty easy to be in Wildshape form all the time. Pump Int, Wis, and Cha. If it means you need to suffer through levels 1-4, so be it. Stand in back with a ranged weapon and summon things until you can Wildshape into dinosaurs and eat your enemies.

Buomman and Lesser Aasimar both get a Wis bonus, though Human is clearly the generic best choice. Whatever you do, don't take a race with Level Adjustment, as it will screw your caster progression.

Quietus
2007-07-19, 10:41 AM
my hatred of fey is unsurpased, although perhaps by the eladrin. I you're going for something fey I suggest the Killoren from races of the wild, its just a suggestion though because fey are annoying and D&D as a game would be made tenfold more fun if there was a campaign world based solely on the idea of burning fey... alive.
if you do choose to play the character you're hinting at I recommend buying races of the wild, it contains all kinds of annoying chaotic races, all equally liable for the act of squishing :smallbiggrin:

You might like a game I'm running on IRC... the players have been swept off my homebrew world and into the Unseelie Courts, a place filled with strange creatures (usually some random animal with strange coloring and some SLA's), and evil fey. The entire reason they're there (Nyax, don't read this) :

The Unseelie know of a particular spot where the barriers between their plane of existence and others that they're near to are weak. They've developed a ritual that lets them detect when that barrier is weakest, and continue to weaken it further, until they can open a temporary portal through. On the material plane, the weak point is on the grounds of a tavern inside the setting's largest city, and so as they've been rounding up animals from their plane of existence and sending them through, they're threatening the city's well-being. Of course, they don't much care about the people there, all they really care about is "the Hunt", and figure that if we can't handle these creatures ourselves, too bad.

So as you can see - you'd have plenty of excuses for burning fey alive in that game.

Darrin
2007-07-19, 10:42 AM
I think i was unclear there. Fey druid is a feat. It only makes me cast spels with charisma instead of wisdom. ^^

If you're going to use that feat, then you should be aware of the Magic-Blooded template from Dragon #306 (you can find the details on Crystalkeep under the 3.0 Templates). It's a LA +0 template that gives you +2 Cha/-2 Wis.

A Magic-Blooded Star Elf, for example, would have +4 Cha, -2 Con, -2 Wis.

A Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar (still only LA +0) would have +4 Cha (no stat penalties).

By switching your druid casting stat to Cha, you could multiclass into Bard, pick up Green Whisperer, then Arcane Heirophant, dip into Sublime Chord, and wind up with 9th level Arcane and Druid spells. See my post in the "optimized Arcane Heirophant" thread for more details (replace Otherworldy with Fey Blood. Hmmm... it still needs Snowflake Wardance in there somewhere).

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51014

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-19, 10:47 AM
The +2 Half Fey Template from the Fiend Folio with LA buydown because you pick up all the extra enchantment/charm type spell like abilities that your PC picks up as your hit die/level increases since many are not on your druidic spell list along with natural flight for your fey butterfly wings (+4 Charisma).

The UA Fey Blood line has a variant LA depending on the strength of the blood line chosen which can be bought down earlier instead of using standard LA buydown rules (+1 Charisma at level 3 with a Major bloodline).

Add the Plane touched template to your human +0 LA +2 Charisma.

Leon
2007-07-19, 10:50 AM
Play any race you like, LA or not.

The Killoren race from Races of Wild may suit

They are Fey, no Stat adjustments, no HD, a few racial bonuses, a problem with using cold iron weapons and the ability to manifest 1 of 3 aspects per day, Fav class is Druid LA is +0

Person_Man
2007-07-19, 11:15 AM
my hatred of fey is unsurpased,

Perhaps you should look at the Cold Iron Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040507a). It's a weak PrC that can better be accomplished by a different build with good roleplaying, but I've always liked the fluff.

Counterspin
2007-07-19, 11:24 AM
If you want to avoid being a druid, there's a wildshaping ranger variant in the SRD. Here it is

Ranger

A ranger might forgo training in weapon combat in exchange for the ability to take animal form and move swiftly through the woodlands.
Gain

Wild shape (as druid; Small or Medium animals only), fast movement (as barbarian).
Lose

Combat style, improved combat style, combat style mastery.

Talya
2007-07-19, 11:31 AM
List of LA +0 Races (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=697653)

As a Druid, your Str, Dex, and Con should be around 10, because when you Wildshape, you take on the stats of your new form, and its pretty easy to be in Wildshape form all the time. Pump Int, Wis, and Cha. If it means you need to suffer through levels 1-4, so be it. Stand in back with a ranged weapon and summon things until you can Wildshape into dinosaurs and eat your enemies.

The problem with this is your hit points don't change, regardless of how your CON changes...so you likely want a high CON just for the hit point bonus...being a dire bear sucks if you have crap for hit points.

Person_Man
2007-07-19, 12:49 PM
The problem with this is your hit points don't change, regardless of how your CON changes...so you likely want a high CON just for the hit point bonus...being a dire bear sucks if you have crap for hit points.

Whoops. Right you are. I just re-read the Alternate Forms rules in the SRD, which are different from the alternate form rules in my MM, because WotC has changed them a dozen times. I guess I'm still running on pre-errata Wildshape in my head. Good catch.

OK, Str 10, Dex 10, Con MAX, Int High, Wis Max, Cha leftovers.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 01:41 PM
You could try the D'hin'ni from Dragon 350. They're djinn/halfling halfbreeds, get +Dex, +Cha, -Wis, and have Prestidigitation usable as an at-will ability. +1 LA, though.

brian c
2007-07-19, 02:01 PM
Whoops. Right you are. I just re-read the Alternate Forms rules in the SRD, which are different from the alternate form rules in my MM, because WotC has changed them a dozen times. I guess I'm still running on pre-errata Wildshape in my head. Good catch.

OK, Str 10, Dex 10, Con MAX, Int High, Wis Max, Cha leftovers.

For a normal Druid; for someone with the Fey Druid feat, which the OP mentioned, max Cha and Wis isn't as important.

Person_Man
2007-07-19, 02:19 PM
You could try the D'hin'ni from Dragon 350. They're djinn/halfling halfbreeds, get +Dex, +Cha, -Wis, and have Prestidigitation usable as an at-will ability. +1 LA, though.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Halflings stand about 3 feet tall and usually weigh between 30 and 35 pounds.

A Djinni is about 10-1/2 feet tall and weighs about 1,000 pounds.

Somebody is going to need A LOOOOT of beer before that night of passion. And I can't even imagine what labor will be like...

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 02:50 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!

Somebody is going to need A LOOOOT of beer before that night of passion. And I can't even imagine what labor will be like...

Well, it depends on which end is the female, really. Either you end up with an unsatisfied djinni woman, or a halfling woman torn in half.

As for flavor/mechanics with an LA, D'hin'ni are my new favorites.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-19, 03:00 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!

A Djinni only weighs 100 pounds on the average according to my monster manual.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 03:02 PM
A Djinni only weighs 100 pounds on the average according to my monster manual.

The djinn (singular djinni) are genies from the Elemental Plane of Air.

A djinni is about 10½ feet tall and weighs about 1,000 pounds.

Djinn speak Auran, Celestial, Common, and Ignan.

You're looking at Janni.

Kiyona
2007-07-19, 03:05 PM
I ended up playing a human after all. I really needed the extra feat and skillpoints. :smallsmile:

But, i took the draconic template, only LA of +1 and a good stat boost.

I now im losing a caster level. But i can live with it. ^^

Besides, it did fit so perfectly with the image i had of her.

Thanks for all the help :smallbiggrin:

Now for magic items...