PDA

View Full Version : Artificer archetype on a Rogue chassis?

Snig
2017-01-14, 06:05 PM
Hey guys. I've been working over the past few weeks on a Rogue archetype that uses blackpowder / explosives. Now that UA has released the artificer, I though it would be a great way to implement my idea. The alchemist could easily be refluffed to throw bombs instead of vials. I personally dont' see anything wrong or overpowered with taking either the alchemist or thunder cannon as a roguish archetype? Some minor adjustments would have to be implemented.

Just to be clear, the only part of the artificer I would touch is the alchemist. I'd use it for a rogue archetype.

Thoughts?

Nifft
2017-01-15, 01:40 PM
Sure, why not?

Level 3: Infuse Arms - When you complete a long rest, you can imbue one melee weapon or shield with alchemical hardness. If you imbue a weapon, it deals +2 damage. If you imbue a shield, it grants +1 AC.

The weapon or shield can't be destroyed for 24 hours. After that time elapses, the weapon or shield crumbles into dust.

Level 3: Infuse Potions - You can use your action to combine special reagents into a potion. Choose a potion from the following list. New options open up as your character level increases. You can't use this ability again until you have completed a long or a short rest.

Character Level - Potion Options
3rd - Climbing, growth, or healing
6th - Mind reading or greater healing
9th - Invisibility, superior healing, or water breathing
12th - Resistance

Level 9: Use Magic Device - By 9th level, you have learned enough about the workings of magic that you can improvise the use of items even when they are not intended for you. You ignore all class, race, and level requirements on the use of magic items.

Additionally, you can use your Infuse Potions ability twice before needing to complete a long or short rest.

Level 13: Infuse Energy - You can use your action to infuse an unstable concoction with your own ranged or melee weapon. Choose one energy type: Acid, Fire, or Lightning. For one minute, your weapon attacks with the chosen weapon deal an extra +1d8 damage of that type.

Additionally, the damage boost from your Infuse Arms ability increases to +4.

Level 17: Alchemist's Reflexes - You're really good at ducking explosions and handling dangerous substances. You gain resistance to acid, fire, poison, and thunder damage.

Additionally, you can use your Infuse Potions ability three times before needing to complete a long or short rest.

Snig
2017-01-15, 02:56 PM
Sure, why not?

Level 3: Infuse Arms - When you complete a long rest, you can imbue one melee weapon or shield with alchemical hardness. If you imbue a weapon, it deals +2 damage. If you imbue a shield, it grants +1 AC.

The weapon or shield can't be destroyed for 24 hours. After that time elapses, the weapon or shield crumbles into dust.

Level 3: Infuse Potions - You can use your action to combine special reagents into a potion. Choose a potion from the following list. New options open up as your character level increases. You can't use this ability again until you have completed a long or a short rest.

Character Level - Potion Options
3rd - Climbing, growth, or healing
6th - Mind reading or greater healing
9th - Invisibility, superior healing, or water breathing
12th - Resistance

Level 9: Use Magic Device - By 9th level, you have learned enough about the workings of magic that you can improvise the use of items even when they are not intended for you. You ignore all class, race, and level requirements on the use of magic items.

Additionally, you can use your Infuse Potions ability twice before needing to complete a long or short rest.

Level 13: Infuse Energy - You can use your action to infuse an unstable concoction with your own ranged or melee weapon. Choose one energy type: Acid, Fire, or Lightning. For one minute, your weapon attacks with the chosen weapon deal an extra +1d8 damage of that type.

Additionally, the damage boost from your Infuse Arms ability increases to +4.

Level 17: Alchemist's Reflexes - You're really good at ducking explosions and handling dangerous substances. You gain resistance to acid, fire, poison, and thunder damage.

Additionally, you can use your Infuse Potions ability three times before needing to complete a long or short rest.

Thanks for the input Nifft! This looks like a great take on the artificer. I guess I should have been more clear. The artificer I was speaking of is the new one wizards released in Unearthed Arcana. I wanted to take the alchemist subclass from it and put it on the rogue. You can find it here.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf

Nifft
2017-01-15, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the input Nifft! This looks like a great take on the artificer. I guess I should have been more clear. The artificer I was speaking of is the new one wizards released in Unearthed Arcana. I wanted to take the alchemist subclass from it and put it on the rogue. You can find it here.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf

Yeah, look at the potions list from that, now look at what I wrote.

I *did* get it from there.

The thing requires adaptation, because it uses stuff like spell slots and Wizard-specific class features. There is no way to directly apply the UA you've linked to a Rogue.

So, that's what I did: an adaptation of the features that did make sense, and then some other thematic stuff on top to compensate for the loss of stuff that does not make sense.