PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking to do a lot of stuff

krunchyfrogg
2017-01-14, 08:18 PM
I want to do a lot of stuff with a character.

What are some of the most common bonus actions and reactions in the game? I'd love to use a bonus action just about every turn if possible, it sounds like fun.

Harrumphreys
2017-01-14, 08:23 PM
If your character has a free hand (I.e. not wielding a shield) then you could be using your bonus action to swipe with a Light melee weapon, such as a Dagger.

For reactions, it's good to leave them free to threaten an attack of opportunity - sometimes threatening an AoO is better than using your reaction for something that requires an additional resource.

Alatar
2017-01-14, 08:26 PM
If your character does have a shield, take the Shield Master feat and knock an opponent prone as a bonus action every round.

CaptainSarathai
2017-01-14, 10:39 PM
Battlemaster/Rogue Multiclass.
Take Sentinel and PoleArm Master

Reactions:
1. If they hit you: Parry or Uncanny Dodge for reduced damage
2. If they miss you: Riposte, to hit them
3. If they attack someone else: Sentinel
4. If they move away: OA
5. If they move into your Reach: PAM attack

Bonus Actions:
1. Cunning Action: Hide, Dash, Disengage as a Bonus
2. Dual Wield / Crossbow Expert / PoleArm Master: carrying two weapons or taking a feat to attack with the off hand
3. Shield Master: feat to bash someone with a shield.

You can go Sorcerer for Quicken Metamagic and cast spells as a Bonus Action.
You can go Crown Paladin and take damage for your friends as a Reaction.
Monk would add Dodge and also their Flurry of Blows as a Bonus Action.

Personally, I added in Warlock for my "Punisher" character, who uses Armor of Agathys and all kinds of damage reduction to cause pain even when you do hit him. But even that gives him Hex as a Bonus (or moving Hex as a Bonus), Hellish Rebuke as a Reaction, and since I went Fey Patron he gets Misty Step as a Reaction as well.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-14, 10:49 PM
I want to do a lot of stuff with a character.

What are some of the most common bonus actions and reactions in the game? I'd love to use a bonus action just about every turn if possible, it sounds like fun.

The most widely available bonus action is two weapon fighting.
The most common reaction is an opportunity attack.

Class-wise, Rogues have a cunning action, Monks have bonus actions fueled by ki, a Berserker gets a bonus action attack, some spells are bonus actions, a few feats grant bonus actions. Most bonus actions outside TWF and CA are limited use in some way.

Similarly some feats grant reaction options, and some spells are cast as reactions and the ready action uses a reaction (as well as consuming the action)

CantigThimble
2017-01-15, 12:04 AM
Variant Human Dex Fighter with Shield Master and Defensive duelist. Knock people down with your bonus action and parry with your reaction.