PDA

View Full Version : my old books

Samayu
2017-01-14, 09:23 PM
I was cleaning the basement tonight, and came across a stash of my old gaming books. The copyvio version of Deities & Demigods. A few of those 2nd Ed. AD&D sourcebooks for character classes and such. Temple of Elemental Evil. A couple of Monstrous Manual binders, one of which is autographed - Steve Winter, Doug Niles, Zeb Cook. A huge pile of Shadowrun. A few Vampire books. Chill. And a Timemaster adventure.

Strangest find was the 3rd Ed. rulebook. I had no idea I owned one of these. I only remember playing with my friends once. Maybe I did a few games at conventions? Yeah, that must have been it. Seems like my friends played 3.5, which didn't come out until after I gave up doing cons. As a group, we mainly played Shadowrun, so the D&D didn't last long.

I've got a Forgotten Realms thing from the era when TSR printed money. There's this set of poster sized maps of regions of the continent. I wonder what the point was. Why would you need them? The worst thing is that they don't have a level of detail that necessitates such a large size.

I wonder where where my 1st and 2nd Ed. hardcovers are.

Jay R
2017-01-15, 10:18 AM
There's this set of poster sized maps of regions of the continent. I wonder what the point was. Why would you need them?

When planning an adventure that will take the PCs across a continent, it's very helpful to know what kind of terrain they are going through, what creatures live there, etc.

Samayu
2017-01-15, 11:04 AM
Oh, maps are good. There are four sheets, 22 by 32 inches. I was thinking the level of detail was such that they could have printed it on smaller sheets, but I looked at them again, and decided they couldn't have gone much smaller. So I rescind the complaint. Though each of the four maps had at least one-eighth of the poster that showed nearly nothing, either ocean or desert with no details.

Tiktakkat
2017-01-15, 09:10 PM
The point of the Trail Maps series was to gather all the maps from multiple products in one place and attach them so that people wouldn't have to cut up the smaller maps from those various products, often destroying whatever was printed on the back, in order to see just how borders matched up.

The scale of those maps, while rather large, was the standard scale used for national maps at the time. While a rather large scale for detail, they did cover entire nations, and details were considered best left to individual DMs back then.