PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Adjusting PoW Martial Traditions to Golarion

legomaster00156
2017-01-14, 10:30 PM
I thought that I'd try my hand at converting the Path of War martial traditions to be more fitting of the Golarion campaign setting. Feel free to add suggestions or alternative interpretations, and remember, they need not exactly match the flavor text, alignments, etc. from PoW.

Suggestions welcome!
Suggestions welcome!
Suggestions welcome!
The Cagebreaker Brotherhood exists much as written, though rumors abound as to Rumor's identity. In many accounts with varying degrees of reliability, she has been said to be an azata, an angel, a protean, a demon, an elf, a halfling, a unicorn, a doe, and a thousand other forms. It may be that none of these are Rumor, or it may be that all of them are. The one thing all Cagebreakers agree on about their mysterious patron is that she is powerful.
Suggestions welcome!
The Crashing Tempest Academy was built in Brevoy, in stark opposition to the traditional fighting style of the Aldori Swordlords found there. After being ridiculed for favoring two weapons, the Academy's founder killed two Swordlords in a two-on-one duel and went on to found a school for those interested in the same atypical style that he used. To this day, the two martial schools have a fierce rivalry, and more than a few times has blood been spilled to settle their differences.
Suggestions welcome!
Suggestions welcome!
The Empyreal Guardians are much as written, though some follow empyreal lords rather than Al'asadriel - these odd cases are given no less respect than any other Guardian.
Suggestions welcome!
Suggestions welcome!
Suggestions welcome!
Suggestions welcome!
The Reverents of the Lance are based in Mendev, where they function as a large but loosely-organized band of Worldwound Crusaders. They are a very new group, having come into being during the Third Crusade. Their devotion to the use of polearms is a curiosity among other crusaders, most of whom favor swords.
Suggestions welcome!
The Servants of the Sacred Hymn are a militant sect of Shelynites, all blessed with extraordinary psionic abilities. Either scorned or admired by other Shelynites, they have no particular home to speak of. Their emblem is much the same as normal, save that the caged bird is always a rainbow-tailed dove, as Shelyn's holy symbol. This emblem represents the restraint even they must show to their enemies and allies alike, lest they become no better than the evil they fight.
Suggestions welcome!
The Sultanate of Beggars is a covert organization based in the River Kingdoms. Adhering first to their oath and second to the River Freedoms, they work fervently to keep slavery from gaining a foothold in the Kingdoms. Often, an unsuspecting slaver will wander in, only to be beaten down and thrown out by a seemingly poverty-stricken old man. While not a religious organization, they often show respect for gods of freedom, such as Cayden Cailean and Milani.
Suggestions welcome!
Suggestions welcome!

Vhaidara
2017-01-14, 10:53 PM
I've done this before myself, at least in parts.

The Black Thorn Knights are actually very easy. If you look up Hellknight Orders, there is a defunct order called the Order of the Thorn. The extent of what we know about them is that they aren't around anymore. So the Black Thorn insert easily as a revival of the Order of the Thorn. I generally also locate them more around the regions of Mendev and the Worldwound since the BTKs are very anti-demon.

Reverants of the Lance work well as a fanatical faction of the Mendevian Crusades.

Scarlet Sentinels I run as a group of bodyguards, mostly formed from Taldane nobles (generally second or third children, the ones who won't inherit anything but want to put dueling skills to good use)

A lot of them can be inserted pretty easily with no real modification (Wayward Path, Lords of the Wheel, the Quills)

The Empyreal Guardians I find work very well if the event that caused Al'asadriel to leave was Iomedae's brutally abusive treatment of the heroes. Only works if your game is set after WotR

Elricaltovilla
2017-01-14, 10:57 PM
I had the Scarlet Sentinels working as an international mercenary guild in Kingmaker. Since I had two characters with ties to the Sentinels, I put them as having a major chapter in Brevoy, which makes sense given how similar Aldori Swordlords and Scarlet Throne are fluff wise.

Lord_Gareth
2017-01-14, 11:08 PM
In a related story I actually did a short for the Cagebreakers if you care to give it a read: Quid Nomen Mihi Est? (http://dreamscarred.com/path-of-war-expanded-quid-nomen-mihi-est/)

Sadly I know little of Golarion and thus will be minimally helpful in your endeavor.

PsyBomb
2017-01-14, 11:46 PM
Tangential to the traditions, but the Leatherworkers Guild can be worked into basically any major city (PC's capital in Kingmaker is an excellent one)

Aldrakan
2017-01-14, 11:49 PM
I know it's not on your list, but The Scales of Mourning (Unquiet Grave) would almost certainly have been developed in Geb, possibly by bodyguards of the Blood Lords being inspired by their masters's abilities as well as emulating the many undead that work alongside them. The allegiance benefits might need to change, though they might stand as being part of the Dead Laws which are at least in theory supposed to preserve the rights of the living (citizens only, of course).