PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warlock Spells questions

sflame56
2017-01-15, 12:59 AM
So I am wondering are warlocks unable to learn spells past the 5th slot level. In the book it goes to 9th so I am wondering how you can get those. When I was reading the book it also said that spells slots go along with the slot level. So does that mean at 9th level I only got 2 total spell slots that I can use that I have to use at 5th level or does that mean I have 2 spell slots in all spell levels up too 5th level? If the first part is true why is it they have a lot less spell slots then every class in the game? Finally if you multi class say a paladin and warlock do they share spells slots or are they considered different like you can only use Warlock spell slots for Warlock spells and Paladin spell slots for Paladin spells?

Dalebert
2017-01-15, 01:14 AM
Read the "Mystic Arcanum" section of the Warlock class on p.108 of the PHB.

sflame56
2017-01-15, 01:24 AM
Read the "Mystic Arcanum" section of the Warlock class on p.108 of the PHB. Ohh ok that answered one of the questions I had. Thanks.

Dalebert
2017-01-15, 01:29 AM
At 9th level you have only two slots that are 5th level but they come back on a short rest instead of a long one. If you cast a 1st level spell, it's at 5th level so it gains the benefit of being cast at a higher level (if applicable). A Burning Hands would deal 4 extra d6 of damage, for instance.

sflame56
2017-01-15, 02:00 AM
At 9th level you have only two slots that are 5th level but they come back on a short rest instead of a long one. If you cast a 1st level spell, it's at 5th level so it gains the benefit of being cast at a higher level (if applicable). A Burning Hands would deal 4 extra d6 of damage, for instance.

Ok wanted to make sure I read that right. So you are pretty reliant on short rests as a warlock though since you don't have many spell slots. You do though get the luxury of a lot of spells and awesome cantrips and free spells from eldritch invocations. So what about multi classing. Always confused about that.

EDL
2017-01-15, 02:34 AM
Ok wanted to make sure I read that right. So you are pretty reliant on short rests as a warlock though since you don't have many spell slots. You do though get the luxury of a lot of spells and awesome cantrips and free spells from eldritch invocations. So what about multi classing. Always confused about that.

You can cast spells of other classes (and even divine smite) using warlock spellslots and vice versa.

PHB, p. 164: If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.