PDA

View Full Version : Magic Ability Weapons and Incorporeal undead

Albions_Angel
2017-01-15, 06:22 AM
Hi all

I think I know the answer to this, but weapons with magical abilities dont hit incorporeal undead unless they explicitly say so, right? The magic weapon part only refers to +X weapons, Correct? Unless its ghosttouch...

Same applies to crystals. The Truedeath crystals let you hit incorporeal, but none of the others do by default, right?

Zombimode
2017-01-15, 07:08 AM
Hi all

I think I know the answer to this, but weapons with magical abilities dont hit incorporeal undead unless they explicitly say so, right? The magic weapon part only refers to +X weapons, Correct? Unless its ghosttouch...

Same applies to crystals. The Truedeath crystals let you hit incorporeal, but none of the others do by default, right?

I'm not sure if I truly understand your questions here.

An incorporeal creature can only be hit (and then the 50% miss chance applies) by a weapon, natural or manufactured, if this weapon is considered a "magic weapon".

For manufactured weapon this is regularly the case if the weapon is enchanted (either permanently or temporarily by a spell or ability). The base enchantment that every permanently enchanted (non-cursed) manufactured weapon has is the one that given an enhancement bonus of +1 to both damage and attack rolls.

Ghosttouch is a specific enchantment that provides the effect of ignoring the 50% miss chance against incorporeals.

A weapon crystal enhances the weapon with a specific effect as long the crystal is connected to the weapon. The crystal DOES NOT turn the weapon into a magic weapon. Having said that, please remember that you can only put Least crystals on non-magical weapons.

Albions_Angel
2017-01-15, 07:20 AM
Thats most of the question I was asking. Kinda hard to put it into words at the moment.

Not all enchantments give a +1 bonus. Ghosttouch, for example, does not, but explicitly says it hits incorporeal creatures, ignoring both the incorporeality and the 50% miss chance. But Berserker, another enhancement that doesnt give +1, would NEVER hit an incorporeal undead, correct? You need the +1 in there somewhere, or else be an enchantment specifically able to hit incorporeals, right?

Zombimode
2017-01-15, 07:43 AM
Not all enchantments give a +1 bonus. Ghosttouch, for example, does not, but explicitly says it hits incorporeal creatures, ignoring both the incorporeality and the 50% miss chance. But Berserker, another enhancement that doesnt give +1, would NEVER hit an incorporeal undead, correct? You need the +1 in there somewhere, or else be an enchantment specifically able to hit incorporeals, right?

I think you got some parts wrong.

First, NO enchantment besides the actual "+X" ones gives a +X enchantment. They are all detailed seperately.

Second, you CAN'T create a permanent magic weapon without a +1 enchantment. There is no such thing as a Ghosttouch Longsword. It HAS to be at least a +1 Longsword of Ghosttouch.

Maybe you are confused about some enchantments saying "this is a +1 enchantment"? The important point to understand here is that those are equivalents.
Weapon enchantments come basically in two different forms:
The first form measures its affect on the price and maximum enchantment of the weapon in an equivalent +X enchantment.
Samples: A "+1" enchantment is obviously equivalent to a "+1" enchantment. The "flaming" property is also the equivalent (in terms of effect on price and max. enchantment) to a "+1" enchantment. That means if you want to have a +2 Longsword of Flaming the total price would be equivalent to a +3 Longsword.

The second form has fixed prices and does not affect max. enchantment.

Albions_Angel
2017-01-15, 07:49 AM
There we go. I knew I was forgetting something. Cant have properties without enhancement bonuses. Ugh, I knew taking a 6 week break in the middle of a campaign was a bad idea.