PDA

View Full Version : What background is this?

hymer
2017-01-15, 06:38 AM
Please, playgrounders, lend me your valuable and learned opinions:

Someone who grew up as the adopted child of the local executioner. It was a fairly isolated childhood, but materially also rather well-to-do. It also meant being recognized or even on speaking terms with some important people, like nobles and people in the justice system. I guess Guild Artisan comes close, but is not quite right, especially since there's unlikely to be an actual executioners' guild.

Edit: To be clear, the character was picking up the trade from their adoptive parent.

Suggestions for custom backgrounds are also very welcome.

Whyrocknodie
2017-01-15, 06:52 AM
That would depend on what the character has done with their life since adoption!

If it's an apprentice to the executioner, Guild Artisan seems fine - although I'd swap the Persuasion skill for something else. Intimidate maybe. The artisan's tools proficiency could become Torturing Tools, or maybe 'axe'.

hymer
2017-01-15, 06:59 AM
That would depend on what the character has done with their life since adoption!

If it's an apprentice to the executioner, Guild Artisan seems fine - although I'd swap the Persuasion skill for something else. Intimidate maybe. The artisan's tools proficiency could become Torturing Tools, or maybe 'axe'.

I should've stated that; yes, s/he was picking up the trade. Thanks!
But how about the feature?

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 07:28 AM

I'd nit pick that tortuer's and executioners are normally different people.

I would change out the tool proficienies to ropes and nots for bindings, nooses etc.

Arcangel4774
2017-01-15, 12:12 PM
Depending on the city you could also be considered a noble

hymer
2017-01-15, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure I follow. Could you develop that point?

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure I follow. Could you develop that point?

I believe (and correct me if I am wrong Arcangel).
Is that throughout History being an executioner was a position of power and prestige, even though the hood was there for anonomynity, most people knew whom the executioner was. As such you would be in connection with the guards/police who in turn but you in touch with the royal (noble) guard and from their you are rubbing shoulders with the upper classes. You may not be noble by birth but you are in a position of power.

Arcangel4774
2017-01-15, 12:37 PM
I believe (and correct me if I am wrong Arcangel).
Is that throughout History being an executioner was a position of power and prestige, even though the hood was there for anonomynity, most people knew whom the executioner was. As such you would be in connection with the guards/police who in turn but you in touch with the royal (noble) guard and from their you are rubbing shoulders with the upper classes. You may not be noble by birth but you are in a position of power.

Pretty much yah. My thought process was less historical though lol. I was thinking queen of hearts "off with their head". For somebody like that the executioner would be pretty high in her court.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 12:39 PM
A lot of literature is taken from history and you know that reference never actually occured to me :P

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-15, 12:50 PM
In Game or Thrones, for example Sir Ilyn Paine is a knight (and therefore a noble).

So, Noble background with the Knight variant would fit.