PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I'm Newish to D&D and Need Some Help With my Build!

QUARE
2017-01-15, 09:51 AM
This is first post on GitP, so I apologize if I'm doing it incorrectly. Right now my character is a Dex based Var. Human Barbarian. I'm dual wielding Rapiers with the Dual Wielder feat. I realize that I don't benefit fully from my rages, but I started in Barbarian for Unarmored Defense. My current plan is to multi class into fighter for Two-weapon fighting. Beyond that, I'm not sure where to go. I'm considering taking more levels in Fighter and then taking levels is rogue. Is my base build any good in the first place? My AC is 17 with 15 HP and I can deal 1d8+3 and another 1d8 per turn (I'm level 1 by the way).

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-15, 09:52 AM
Brace yourself! The realism squad is comming!

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 10:30 AM
My advice (which my be poo-poo'd here) is if you are new to D&D avoid multi-classing a hell of a lot unless you really understand the mechanics. However....dipping into fight for the TWF style is a good idea. I wouldn't dip until you have hit level 5 in Barb for Extra attack.

In regards to your current build I don't see any issues with a Dex Barb. I am assuming you are level one?

QUARE
2017-01-15, 10:59 AM
Yes, I am level 1.

Ugganaut
2017-01-15, 11:01 AM
Why did you choose Barbarian? Was it the theme, the resistance, or some other Barbarian feature?
You mentioned the Unarmored Defense, so if thats all you really want, I'd say switch straight to Fighter for 5 lvls for TWF/Action Surge/extra attack, then go Rogue if you're wanting.
It all depends what you're after. If you're going fighter just for the TWF, then grab it and switch to Rogue. Or even go Ranger instead if you have the revised version, as it goes with a rogue nicely.

Barbarian 1/Ranger 2/Rogue 17. You'd have TWF, good initiative stuff to help that first round, only two attacks per round as opposed to the three from F5+TWF, but your goal would be to get off that Sneak Attack, not have as many attacks as possible. Ranger 2 also opens up Hunters Mark, but don't think you can use that while raging. With limited Rages per day, would be a nice backup. If you're not taking half damage, you're dealing extra damage to end the fight quicker :) With Con as a save, you should be able to keep HM up. Or use the slots for Cure Wounds if you're low on heals.
The big downside with multi-classing like this, especially if you're starting out at lvl 1, is you don't get another feat for awhile. You could go B1/Rog5, then take Ranger 2, then continue with rogue. Rog4 for feat, R5 for Uncanny Dodge.

Some ideas anyway.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-15, 11:09 AM
This is first post on GitP, so I apologize if I'm doing it incorrectly. Right now my character is a Dex based Var. Human Barbarian. I'm dual wielding Rapiers with the Dual Wielder feat. I realize that I don't benefit fully from my rages, but I started in Barbarian for Unarmored Defense. My current plan is to multi class into fighter for Two-weapon fighting. Beyond that, I'm not sure where to go. I'm considering taking more levels in Fighter and then taking levels is rogue. Is my base build any good in the first place? My AC is 17 with 15 HP and I can deal 1d8+3 and another 1d8 per turn (I'm level 1 by the way).

I recommend you take a moment to grab the PHB and a sheet of paper (or open a word doc) and write up the character at level 20, so you can see how the profession would work, what abilities you'd get at each level, and what abilities you'd miss out on by taking levels in other classes.

Seeing what your character sheet would be like at various levels is quite useful for deciding if you really want to take that level in one class instead of another.