PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Unarmed Concept

Spectre9000
2017-01-15, 01:07 PM
So, I'm trying to figure out how to get the most out of unarmed damage. I'm thinking of a character concept akin to Hinata Hyuga (Twin Lion Fists). Really though, I'm just interested in the ways you can maximize unarmed damage as everything seems to only benefit weapons. Even Enlarge only gives damage to your weapons; like wtf.

Foxhound438
2017-01-15, 02:05 PM
while unarmed strike is in fact not an attack with a weapon, it is classified as a melee weapon attack. Basically, the only things you can't do off the top of my head are SCAG weapon cantrips, magic weapon, or improved divine smite.

Even if it isn't a melee weapon attack (as some people, perhaps including your DM, suggest) there is still one thing that can boost its damage regardless: hex. have fun

and have fun with the inevitable "unarmed strikes aren't melee weapon attacks" debate that we've had on this forum 19 times getting repeated here.

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 02:08 PM
I mean apart from taking Monk and having homebrewed magic items I honestly am not sure.

MrStabby
2017-01-15, 02:13 PM
So, I'm trying to figure out how to get the most out of unarmed damage. I'm thinking of a character concept akin to Hinata Hyuga (Twin Lion Fists). Really though, I'm just interested in the ways you can maximize unarmed damage as everything seems to only benefit weapons. Even Enlarge only gives damage to your weapons; like wtf.

Just monk really. Your damage die does get pretty big. You can slap Hex on top - that works. Either magic initiate or a dip for warlock.

Spectre9000
2017-01-15, 02:39 PM
while unarmed strike is in fact not an attack with a weapon, it is classified as a melee weapon attack. Basically, the only things you can't do off the top of my head are SCAG weapon cantrips, magic weapon, or improved divine smite.

Improved Divine Smite does work with it, as it requires a melee weapon strike(read attack).

Even if it isn't a melee weapon attack (as some people, perhaps including your DM, suggest) there is still one thing that can boost its damage regardless: hex. have fun
Yea, I've noticed Hex grants damage on attacks, as opposed to Hunter's Mark that grants damage on weapon attacks, which is a subtle, but in this case, a very important distinction.

and have fun with the inevitable "unarmed strikes aren't melee weapon attacks" debate that we've had on this forum 19 times getting repeated here.

I don't see how this is even debated. PHB 195 explicitly states that melee weapon attacks are made with weapons or unarmed strikes.

Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an unarmed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). So while it's true Unarmed Strikes don't count as weapons (which quite frankly is the dumbest thing I've ever heard as they're quite literally the oldest weapons), they do count as Melee Weapon Attacks.

In response to others, just simply taking monk is rather... bland...

Fishyninja
2017-01-15, 02:57 PM
In response to others, just simply taking monk is rather... bland...

I mean you could dip into warlock/ranger for Hex or Hunter's Mark, would Sneak attack with Rogue work (I believer that requires a weapon attack).
I am assuming (as I have never played as a caster) that many of the weapon buff cantrips (Booming Blade and the like) require a melee weapon such as a stick or aword and wouldn't work for unarmed.

Athoren
2017-01-15, 03:08 PM
You could go str based barbarian monk to get rage damage. And you get more out of reckless attack with flurry.

CantigThimble
2017-01-15, 03:18 PM
Yea, I've noticed Hex grants damage on attacks, as opposed to Hunter's Mark that grants damage on weapon attacks, which is a subtle, but in this case, a very important distinction.

What that distinction means is that hunter's mark won't add damage to your spell attacks. Fists make weapon attacks and therefore benefit from hunters mark

Foxhound438
2017-01-15, 08:58 PM
Improved Divine Smite does work with it, as it requires a melee weapon strike(read attack).

I'm pretty sure the trigger is when you hit a creature with a melee weapon, which post errata does not in fact include unarmed strikes. If you can get it to fly with your DM, I'd say go for it.

tkuremento
2017-01-15, 10:37 PM
would Sneak attack with Rogue work (I believer that requires a weapon attack).

Needs finesse property or ranged weapon.

JNAProductions
2017-01-15, 10:41 PM
Needs finesse property or ranged weapon.

Many DMs (myself included) let Sneak Attack work with Monk UA.

tkuremento
2017-01-15, 11:11 PM
Many DMs (myself included) let Sneak Attack work with Monk UA.

Simply replying with RAW, otherwise it turns into "Well if your DM allows it"

JNAProductions
2017-01-15, 11:20 PM
Simply replying with RAW, otherwise it turns into "Well if your DM allows it"

True-but it's a common enough houserule to be worth mentioning as well.

Elite Hatter
2017-01-15, 11:20 PM
Tavern brawler barbarian. Most consistent damage and can grapple for free as a bonus action.

1d4+3 (5 if raging) up to 1d4+7 (11 when raging) from levels 1-20 averaging out at 5 (7) damage at 1 up to 9 (13) dmg at 20. Whereas monks avg 1d4+3 (5) up to 1d10+5 (10). Plus you can take a hit thanks to rage and d12 hit die.

Malifice
2017-01-15, 11:26 PM
Vuman Alt-Ranger 1 (Tavern Brawler) Strength 16 deals 1d4+5 damage unarmed against his favored enemies and gets a chance to grapple as a bonus action if he hits.

At 2nd level he adds +1d6 damage with hunters mark

At 3rd level he adds an extra 1d8 damage with Colossus slayer.

At 4th level his strength increases to 18 for an extra +1 damage

At 5th level he gets extra attack

Then M/C into Paladin for divine smite (caster levels stack with Ranger) and bonus action smite spells. This works with unarmed strikes.

When you're happy you have enough Paladin levels, take 3 levels of Battlemaster fighter for action surge and 4 sup dice to add more to the damage, and get some nifty manouvers.

BM Fighter 3/ Ranger 11/ Paladin 6. Switch Paladin and Ranger levels if your DM rules Improved divine smite works with unarmed.

Really though, open hand Monk/ Battlemaster fighter is probably the way to go.

ES Curse
2017-01-16, 02:17 AM
Str-based Monk/Barbarian with Tavern Brawler. For maximum shenanigans, take Magic Initiate (Druid) for the "Jump" spell.
PILE DRIVE THEM INTO THE GROUND.