PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Totemis optimization help?

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-01-15, 04:43 PM
I am currently building a character that is based around Totemist for a RL campaign i am entering and would like you feedback on the build

Its gestalt(starting lvl 9, also gestalt prestige classes), la by-offed( automatically 3, Racial lvls are taken away), open to all campaign settings, and all together a super high powered campaign (what i mean by this is that it has an elite array of 18, 16, 16, 15, 14, 12 with 18 points I can divide up as i see fit)

Here it is so far

Race:Crucian (mineral warrior)
Classes: Totemist/DFA 9
Abilities: (base + racial + Template + divided 18 +lvl (2))
Str: 14 +4 +2= 20
Dex:16 -2 +0= 14
Con:18 +6 +4 +18 +2=48 (Amulet +6) = 54
Int: 16 +0 -2= 14
Wis:12 +0 -2= 10
Cha:15 - 2 -2= 11

Class/Racial Abilites:
Crucian:
Low-light vision
+8 natural armor
speed 20ft

Mineral Warrior:
Burrow speed 10 ft
(earth) subtype
Darkvision 60ft
Damage Reduction 8 / adamantine
Earth Strike, 1/day – against a foe standing on stone or earth, +19 to attack
+3 Natural Armor

Totemist:
Wild empathy
illiteracy
Totem chakra bind (+1 meldshaper level, +1 capacity)
Totem’s protection
Chakra binds (crown, feet, hands, arms, brow, shoulders)
Rebind totem soulmeld 1/day

Dragonfire adept:
Breath weapon 5d6
Dragontouched
Scales +3
Dragonkin
Damege reduction 2/magic
Breath effect: Lightning breath
Breath effect: Acid breath

Feats:
Flaw: Entangling Exhalation
Flaw: Enlarge Breath
1: Clinging Breath
3: Lingering Breath
6: Maximize Breath
9: Bonus Essentia

Soulmelds (chakra (BINDS)) (essenta):
Claws of the Wyrm (Arms (b)) (2)
Dragonfire Mask (Totem (b)) (3)
Dragon mantle (Heart) (2)
Totem avatar (Feet) (1)
Dragon tail (Waist) (0)
Invocations:
Endure Exposure
Breath of night
Draconic flight
Walk unseen

Combo's:
Dragon breath (Battle field control): This isn't as much a combo as it is a explostio that lasts the combat.
Pre combo, make sure all allies have Endure exposure (unless its that rouge that stole your money, he will suffer...)
Then do Your breath weapon.. yup your breath weapon.
But thats not all, you aply Entangling breath, Enlarge x10, Clinging breath x20, Lingering x40, and Maximize to it. Just because make it acid, and a Cone
now this might not seem like alot but it is
Math for it= can't use it for 4 (Max) +10 (enlarge) +20 (clinging) + 80(lingering)= 114 rounds
First round it deals 15+1d6 dmg and are entangled to everyone within 150ft cone
Sub rounds, they take 7+1d6 dmg and are still entangled
this last for 40 rounds by which the enemy should be dead by allies and my attacks during the time there takeing damage and they are trying to flee

Whirling dragon: this is just me doing my full attack, hopeful someone builds a DFI bard, than I would demolish
1 Claw: +12, 1d6+5/ 18-20/*2
2 Claw: +12, 1d6+5/ 18-20/*2
1 Tail: +11/+6 1d8

Wait... I AM A DRAGON:
This is all his buffs:
Draconic wings: the wings of a dragon
Claws of the wyrm: dragon claws
Dragon tail: Dragon tail
Breath weapon: Dragon breath
Dragonfire mask: Dragon frightful presence
I am the dragon....

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130719113561/highschooldxd/images/2/29/Boosted_Gear_Scale_Mail.pnghttp://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140420024809/highschooldxd/images/e/ec/Highschool_DxD_Issei_Hyoudou_Boosted_Gear_Balance_ Breaker.png

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/highschooldxd/images/3/33/Boosted_Gear_Juggernaut_Drive_Incomplete_Transform ation.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150608193619

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-15, 05:58 PM
Barbarian adds little to the Totemist base, I think, apart from a one-level dip for Pounce. Instead, consider Scout. Adds a crapton of skill points and Skirmish, meaning a huge damage boost to all of your (four or more) natural weapons. You should also consider throwing a few levels of Incarnate in there, for added meld capacity and variety.

Nifft
2017-01-15, 10:07 PM
Seconding Grod's wisdom.

There are some fun things which can be done with Barbarian 3 (specifically the Trapslayer alternative class feature from Dungeonscape), but past that I'd suggest doing something different.

Here are a couple of builds which ought to offer you more power & more options:

Level 1: Totemist 1 // Barbarian 1 (ACF: Lion Spirit Totem)

Level 2: Totemist 2 // Barbarian 2

Level 3: Totemist 3 // Barbarian 3 (ACF: Trapkiller)

Level 4: Totemist 4 // Incarnate 1

Level 5: Totemist 5 // Incarnate 2

Level 6: Totemist 6 // Incarnate 3

Level 7: Totemist 7 // Totem Rager 1

Level 8: Totemist 8 // Totem Rager 2 (... improve Incarnate meldshaping)

You basically double-down on Meldshaping, plus you get Totem Rager to enhance your Totemist side but without the price of 2 lost Meldshaper levels.

Totemist // Warblade

Use Tiger Claw maneuvers to exploit your large number of natural attacks, Iron Heart to inflict extra damage, and Diamond Mind for miscellaneous awesomeness.

Example: at level 1, you can use Punishing Stance to trade -2 AC for +1d6 damage with all melee attacks. You ought to get a lot of melee attacks. You also get Sudden Leap (use Jump to move as a Swift action) and at level 9 you get full-on Pounce.

Level 1: Totemist 1 // Dragonfire Adept 1
* L1 Feat: Entangling Exhalation
+ Invocation: Endure Exposure
Level 20: Totemist 20 // Dragonfire Adept 20

Good Constitution synergy. The key thing here is to use your DFA side for BFC & lock-down, and your Totemist side for melee. You're a front-liner who's too dangerous to leave alone. They key here is that DFA requires very few feats to be effective -- basically just Entangling Exhalation -- and best of all, you get a free feat which unlocks access to the Dragon Magic soulmelds no matter what your race is.

Level 1: Totemist 1 // Ranger 1 (ACF: Wildshape)
Level 5: Totemist 5 // Ranger 5

Level 6: Totemist 6 // Master of Many Forms 1

Etc., up through Totemist 20 // Warshaper 5

Level 1: Totemist 1 // Barbarian 1 (ACF: Lion Spirit Totem)

Level 2: Totemist 2 // Psychic Warrior 1
Level 5: Totemist 5 // Psychic Warrior 4

Level 6: Totemist 6 // Slayer 1

Etc., not sure what you'll do for your last 5 levels but your options are good. Ask your DM to be sure you can (ab)use Azure Talent + Psycarnum Infusion to get unlimited PP (in small doses).

Level 1: Totemist 1 // Druid 1
Level 20: Totemist 20 // Druid 20

This build is pretty self-explanatory. Read a guide on being a Druid, and then add some Incarnum on top.

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-01-15, 10:53 PM
Level 1: Totemist 1 // Dragonfire Adept 1
* L1 Feat: Entangling Exhalation
+ Invocation: Endure Exposure
Level 20: Totemist 20 // Dragonfire Adept 20

Good Constitution synergy. The key thing here is to use your DFA side for BFC & lock-down, and your Totemist side for melee. You're a front-liner who's too dangerous to leave alone. They key here is that DFA requires very few feats to be effective -- basically just Entangling Exhalation -- and best of all, you get a free feat which unlocks access to the Dragon Magic soulmelds no matter what your race is.

I think I'm going to go with this one, ill update the OP in a little, i like it because it makes a DC 36 breath weapon at lvl 9. I also like the dragon theme.

Sense im going this directio my dm said that DFA have access to the invocations in MoI (except not incarnum blast). Is it worth it?

Nifft
2017-01-15, 11:14 PM
I think I'm going to go with this one, ill update the OP in a little, i like it because it makes a DC 36 breath weapon at lvl 9. I also like the dragon theme.

Sense im going this directio my dm said that DFA have access to the invocations in MoI (except not incarnum blast). Is it worth it?

The invocations in MoI are horrible.

Know what's not horrible? Obtain Familiar + Share Soulmeld. If you have access to Dragon Magazine (#280), then also grab Extra Familiar + Enspell Familiar.

khadgar567
2017-01-15, 11:33 PM
If you want your dm to weep in agony just add planar shephard to totemist / druid combo and choose dream as your plane

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-01-16, 02:18 AM
If you want your dm to weep in agony just add planar shephard to totemist / druid combo and choose dream as your plane

oh if i went druid way an planar shepherd I would pick far realm, no time passes, good i killed everybody slowly

khadgar567
2017-01-16, 02:23 AM
oh if i went druid way an planar shepherd I would pick far realm, no time passes, good i killed everybody slowly
Thats may be a good idea

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-01-16, 02:25 AM
Thats may be a good idea
That's not good.... Its evil......Very evil.....Verrrrrrry evillllll indead.

khadgar567
2017-01-16, 02:28 AM
That's not good.... Its evil......Very evil.....Verrrrrrry evillllll indead.
Well every body has shades of evilll so its okay for me for science and for the pain my friend

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-01-16, 02:33 AM
Well every body has shades of evilll so its okay for me for science and for the pain my friend

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130826121437/villains/images/6/64/Kurumi_evil_laugh.gifHer eye is how much time passes as I kill you.....*disappointed glare* for science?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-16, 10:58 AM
Congratulations! The evil sorcerer achieved all his schemes while you were waiting for him to die of old age! Also, he's a lich now.

Troacctid
2017-01-16, 11:11 AM
Steal incarnum is the worst invocation in the game. Seriously, the literal #1 worst invocation. Like, let's just take a moment and appreciate how truly useless it is.

First, you need a melee touch attack, so you have to get way up close and maybe even provoke an attack of opportunity. (Even drain incarnum has a range of 30 feet!) Then they get a saving throw to negate the effect. Oh, and if they save, they’re immune to the invocation for 24 hours. So that’s awkward, but if the payoff is powerful enough, it might be worth it. What’s the payoff? Well, if they have an essentia pool, you drain 1 point of essentia per 5 caster levels from them. Or, if, like 99%+ of creatures in the game, they don’t have an essentia pool...it does nothing. Just straight-up nothing. That's right, literally every single monster in the Monster Manual is immune to this invocation. But wait! There’s more! If they're not immune to it, then in addition to imposing a penalty so minor that the target probably won’t even notice, you also gain essentia equal to the amount you drained! Of course, as a non-meldshaper, you probably don’t even have any essentia receptacles to put it in, but if you do, you can exploit this invocation to gain a minor bonus! ...For one minute, and then the essentia disappears.

Oh! But it’s also required for the Souleater Incarnate epic invocation feat! You know, the one that is the weakest out of all the epic invocation feats. That one. Yeah.

Anyway, it's real bad.

As for the other ones—drain incarnum doesn't really do anything, and incarnum shroud is just a worse version of darkness (except it's a greater invocation instead of a least invocation, yay). So yeah, you definitely do not want the invocations from this book.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-16, 12:18 PM
On the other hand, Dragon Magic has soulmelds that aren't half bad.

Claws of the Wyrm and Dragon Tail grant you natural weapons without needing to be bound, though they're worded kind of weirdly; the latter gives you an AoE attack when bound to your totem slot
Dragon Mantle gives you some nice energy resistance and a bit of flight
Dragonfire Mask gives you a breath weapon (with a recharge time! hello metabreath feats!)

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-01-16, 12:34 PM
On the other hand, Dragon Magic has soulmelds that aren't half bad.

Claws of the Wyrm and Dragon Tail grant you natural weapons without needing to be bound, though they're worded kind of weirdly; the latter gives you an AoE attack when bound to your totem slot
Dragon Mantle gives you some nice energy resistance and a bit of flight
Dragonfire Mask gives you a breath weapon (with a recharge time! hello metabreath feats!)

Wow i think have all these up in the updated OP
But i don't think Dragonfire mask gives breath weapon until bound to a charkra i don't have access to?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-16, 12:42 PM
Wow i think have all these up in the updated OP
But i don't think Dragonfire mask gives breath weapon until bound to a charkra i don't have access to?
Unfortunately true. BUT, remember that meldshapers like the Totemist don't have a limited set of melds known; they can shape any meld on their list, any day they want it.

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-01-16, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately true. BUT, remember that meldshapers like the Totemist don't have a limited set of melds known; they can shape any meld on their list, any day they want it.

This i did not know.... interesting.....

Nifft
2017-01-16, 02:40 PM
Suggestion #1:
- Drop Maximize Breath.
- At level 9, take Double Chakra (totem).
This allows you to bind 2 things to your Totem at once, like Blink Shirt + Manticore Belt.

Suggestion #2:
- Drop Lingering Breath & Bonus Essentia.
- Take Obtain Familiar at 3 and Share Soulmeld at 6.
This allows you to abuse your Familiar's standard action for stuff like breath weapons, that Ythark sonic ray, and Manticore Belt missile attacks.

Suggestion #3: CHARGE
- Bind Sphinx Claws to your hands (for Pounce)
- Get more attacks (Girallon Arms, Displacer Cloak, Lamia Belt, ...).
- Rip and tear
You have a decent Strength score, you should get some fun out of it.