PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Pathfinder Hexblade

Invader
2017-01-15, 06:06 PM
I'm playing a Hexblade in a Pathfinder game but I'm not all that familiar with good build choices that are Pathfinder specific. Is there anything good to consider outside of the regular choices from the Hexblade handbook as far as races and feats?

Starting at 1st, heavy on combat, dont want to be to optimized so nothing crazy.

Frosty
2017-01-15, 07:27 PM
Are you talking about the Hexcrafter archetype for the Magus base class?

Coretron03
2017-01-15, 07:54 PM
I second magnus with hexcrafter archetype to get evil eye and the eldritch scion archetype for Cha casting, maybe a 2 level dip in paladin for the Cha to saves should get you a pretty hexblade simliar magnus with only pathfinder material thats probably better at gishing then the hexblade that even gets a curse at will (requires standard action though) and has a better Cha casting and good saves too with a paldin dip. If you have already made the character alread something like pathfinder arcane strike can give a small damage bonus.

Invader
2017-01-15, 08:21 PM
No I'm talking about the actual Hexblade class (with the suggested fixes) from complete warrior, in a Pathfinder campaign. Is the Hexcrafter archetype a Pathfinder equivalent that I could use instead?

Coretron03
2017-01-15, 09:31 PM
Its not a exact eqvuilent as it only gives you Witch hexes which are at will effects but one of them is a save for -2 on your choice of AC attack roll saves and stuff. Using that you can get a pretty close version of the class with a 2 level paladin dip (For cha to saves) and a archetype that uses charasmia for casting and is spontanous instead of prepared (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/eldritch-scion), plus the hexcrafter archetype to feel like curses. You could even get a famliar if you take a feat I beleive because you have a caster level. Magnus the the closest single class gish in psthfinder, although its more like a duskblade then a hexblade, although with the right build it can be simliar

Kurald Galain
2017-01-16, 02:33 AM
Well, the hexblade was nice in concept, but it didn't work so well mechanically. So WOTC printed the duskblade, which is the new-and-improved hexblade. And then Paizo came along and for pathfinder printed the Magus class, which is the new-and-improved duskblade.

In particular, straight from level one a Magus can cast a spell and make a melee attack all in the same round; and from level two it can channel all its touch spells through its weapon. This in addition to having a much broader and versatile spell list, and easy access to wizard spells where needed.

So you should really consider rebuilding your character as a Magus. Here's a guide with more info. (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus&)

Grim Reader
2017-01-16, 04:45 AM
Pathfinder classes are in general better than 3.5 ones. They have more options, more features, things to do with swift actions, actual classe features in places where 3.5 had none... all over, they are generally more powerful and playable.

The Hexblade as written is one of the weaker 3.5 classes. It was written early in the lifespan of third edition, when they did not have a good grip on balance, and were overcautious about many things. Even the designers have admitted this.

I believe it will compare very, very badly to Pathfinder classes. You are better off with the Magus, which is sort of a Pathfinder Hexblade.

Personally, I homebrewed the Hexblade to get Hexes, with the Curse as the level one Hex. That was ok, but I don't expect homebrew to be on the table for you.

Florian
2017-01-16, 05:13 AM
I'm playing a Hexblade in a Pathfinder game but I'm not all that familiar with good build choices that are Pathfinder specific. Is there anything good to consider outside of the regular choices from the Hexblade handbook as far as races and feats?

Starting at 1st, heavy on combat, dont want to be to optimized so nothing crazy.

Hexblade - great fluff, poor concept, based on the old Ranger framework that also didn't really work out too well.

Don't do it, you won't be happy as those old classes don't transfer well over to PF.
The Magus guide has already been linked, so get familiar with that and look for the Black Blade and Hexcrafter archetypes, as well as the Eldritch Scion if you're more comfortable with a CHA-based spells known caster. The example builds are there.
If you want a bit more gritty flavour, take a look at the Blood Hex feats (Magic Tactics Toolbox) that also transport a bit of the edgy feel the original class had.

Invader
2017-01-16, 12:52 PM
I've had plenty of success playing a Hexblade with the suggested fixes without every really feeling under powered. It's one of my favorite classes so optimizing it isn't really a problem. I was more just looking for Pathfinder specific things that would work well with that chassis.

Florian
2017-01-16, 03:11 PM
I've had plenty of success playing a Hexblade with the suggested fixes without every really feeling under powered. It's one of my favorite classes so optimizing it isn't really a problem. I was more just looking for Pathfinder specific things that would work well with that chassis.

Sorry, please don't get me wrong here. I actually like that class and played thru the whole Savage Tide AP using one.
That doesn't change the fact that it go rolled into being an archetype for a PF base class and it is a lot easier to discuss and give tips on builds when being on the same level here.