PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Amazing Once-in-a-Campaign Magic Item Help?

Jarmen4u
2017-01-15, 06:39 PM
In my game, our DM said that he wants every player to tell him by next game the name of a magic item that we would want to try to find or get a quest for. He was very specific in expressing that it should be an extremely powerful magic item, an artifact or something that maybe comes along once in a campaign.

For details, I'm a level 11 human druid5/MOMF6 with a pseudodragon (with 10 cleric class levels) as a pet.

Afgncaap5
2017-01-15, 08:09 PM
Do you know if he wants a pre-existing item (ie., an item published in a first-party, D&D book published by Wizards of the Coast), or are you supposed to make an entirely new item?

icefractal
2017-01-15, 08:29 PM
As a MoMF, you'll ideally want something that can meld into your form or be used by any form.

What about an intelligent set of Dragonscale (or Ironwood) Full Plate with the Wild enhancement, plus whatever other enhancements or item powers would be suitable to fit the power level? You count as wearing armor (so no Monk's Belt), but other than that there's no penalty, just always keep it melded even when assuming humanoid forms.

If custom items are on the table, something that gave you the Multimorph ability from the Warshape class (change forms as a standard action during the same Wild Shape) could be pretty cool.

FocusWolf413
2017-01-15, 08:51 PM
Ask for Stormbringer. There are stats for it in some obscure OD&D or AD&D book. I'm not talking about Blackrazor, either. I mean Stormbringer.

Jarmen4u
2017-01-15, 09:08 PM
Do you know if he wants a pre-existing item (ie., an item published in a first-party, D&D book published by Wizards of the Coast), or are you supposed to make an entirely new item?

He's pretty by-the-book, so it would most likely have to be pre-existing. Though if you had an idea for a custom item that sounded more appealing than just "more bigger numbers" he might entertain the idea.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-15, 10:18 PM
Ask for a (functioning) mythal.

Telok
2017-01-15, 10:26 PM
Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-gods, and Heroes. 7th printing, 1979.

Stormbringer: Chaotic, Int 12, ego 12, +5 dancing. On a roll of 11 - 20 drains all levels, on a roll of 7 - 10 drains half the levels. Drained levels crank the user up to 18/00 Str and adds hit points to the user equal to the die type of the creature drained times the number of levels drained. Sword becomes sated after 300 levels, it keeps on boosting the user for ten turns then stops. Strength and hit points return to normal. After 50 turns the sword will drain another 300 levels.

FocusWolf413
2017-01-16, 11:33 AM

Stormbringer: Chaotic, Int 12, ego 12, +5 dancing. On a roll of 11 - 20 drains all levels, on a roll of 7 - 10 drains half the levels. Drained levels crank the user up to 18/00 Str and adds hit points to the user equal to the die type of the creature drained times the number of levels drained. Sword becomes sated after 300 levels, it keeps on boosting the user for ten turns then stops. Strength and hit points return to normal. After 50 turns the sword will drain another 300 levels.

There it is!! Thank you.

Jarmen4u
2017-01-16, 11:13 PM
There it is!! Thank you.

He's an older DM, and I know he's a fan of earlier editions, so it might just fly. However, he knows a lot more about ego and other AD&D mechanics, so I feel like he'd find a way to screw me over.

Also, I found the book and item, it says "energy level drain", not "level drain," and I feel like those are very different things.

Great reply though, that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of. Any other ideas, playground?

FocusWolf413
2017-01-17, 02:35 PM
He's an older DM, and I know he's a fan of earlier editions, so it might just fly. However, he knows a lot more about ego and other AD&D mechanics, so I feel like he'd find a way to screw me over.

Also, I found the book and item, it says "energy level drain", not "level drain," and I feel like those are very different things.

Great reply though, that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of. Any other ideas, playground?

The energy level drain is normal level drain. They just changed the name of the effect for the different edition.

Jarmen4u
2017-01-18, 02:12 AM
The energy level drain is normal level drain. They just changed the name of the effect for the different edition.

Alright, I appreciate the clarification. Only issue I see is that it's a sword, and I'm a Druid, so there's a lack of proficiency. Maybe he'll let me make it a staff or something else instead?

Jarmen4u
2017-01-21, 02:48 PM
So, update. I spoke to the DM, and he told me that Stormbringer already exists in his world, and is most likely out of my (current) reach, though could eventually be attainable. So, I'm not sure if that's a no, but I'm still looking for other ideas.

Zaq
2017-01-21, 09:16 PM

I . . . Why? In what reality is it ever interesting to introduce an item like that? How does that possibly make the game more fun, regardless of who's actually holding that thing?

This isn't directed at you, Telok. This is at Gygax (or whoever was responsible for that).

John Longarrow
2017-01-21, 09:40 PM
I . . . Why? In what reality is it ever interesting to introduce an item like that? How does that possibly make the game more fun, regardless of who's actually holding that thing?

This isn't directed at you, Telok. This is at Gygax (or whoever was responsible for that).

Elric wielded it... Elric of Melnibone.

Books by Michael Moorcock. Really good read!

OP, Ask for some old school Torc grenades from gamaworld. Area of effect: 15 meter radius Damage inflicted: Disintegrates everything (leaving a hole in the ground) not protected by force fields or energy shields.

Its like a sphere of annihilation that you can throw at people!

Telok
2017-01-21, 11:55 PM
As to Stormbringer, well, Elric was an interesting character who had a bit of a tiff with some gods. It was also a novel, those stats are someone's interpretation of the story effects.

Now if you want there are bunches of other items in that same book. One of the simpler ones was a bow that shot ten +3 arrows every round that always hit.

Jarmen4u
2017-01-22, 07:41 PM
As to Stormbringer, well, Elric was an interesting character who had a bit of a tiff with some gods. It was also a novel, those stats are someone's interpretation of the story effects.

Now if you want there are bunches of other items in that same book. One of the simpler ones was a bow that shot ten +3 arrows every round that always hit.

What's the name of that item? Do you remember? Hopefully, there's a wiki of some sort that has them all listed somewhere.

Khedrac
2017-01-23, 03:38 AM
As a shape-changer, I would ask for a vest of the archmage (from the MIC) that functions while wildshaped.
It pretty much has all the boost the game expects you to have (except for stat enhancements) in one item so you can use all other item slots for interesting things.

Telok
2017-01-23, 04:50 AM
What's the name of that item? Do you remember? Hopefully, there's a wiki of some sort that has them all listed somewhere.

Named stuff? Let me check the book...

Page 3, Ptah, Sceptre of the Gods: Tells the user the strong points of the enemy, nullify any one type of spell used against the user per round, does 1d100 damage.

Page 8, Vishnu, unnamed stuff: A lotus flower that restores all lost hit points at a touch. A mace that disintegrates anything it hits that fails it's save.

Page 18, Daghda's Club: Touch of the large end is a death spell, touch of the small end is an unlimited raise dead spell, hits for 5d10 damage.

Page 21, Cu Chulain, Gae Blog: spear made from the bones of a sea dragon, +4 and hits for 4d10 damage, when held can never be surprised.

Page 22, Odin, Odin's Bow: +3 composite recurve, fires 10 +3 arrows per turn that never miss.

Page 47, Toth Amon's Ring: A magic user of 10th level or more rises 10 levels in experience while possessing it.

Page 67, The Five Fire Seven Feather Fan of Defending: Defends the user from any number of material weapons, not permitting them to strike. Also negates all spells used against the wielder.

Mind, this is just a sample of the toys in that book.

FocusWolf413
2017-01-23, 10:59 AM
Alright, I appreciate the clarification. Only issue I see is that it's a sword, and I'm a Druid, so there's a lack of proficiency. Maybe he'll let me make it a staff or something else instead?

It's Stormbringer. Take the -4 to hit.

So, update. I spoke to the DM, and he told me that Stormbringer already exists in his world, and is most likely out of my (current) reach, though could eventually be attainable. So, I'm not sure if that's a no, but I'm still looking for other ideas.

First reaction: Aww.
Second reaction: {{Scrubbed terrified swearing}}

Eek.

Named stuff? Let me check the book...

Page 3, Ptah, Sceptre of the Gods: Tells the user the strong points of the enemy, nullify any one type of spell used against the user per round, does 1d100 damage.

Page 8, Vishnu, unnamed stuff: A lotus flower that restores all lost hit points at a touch. A mace that disintegrates anything it hits that fails it's save.

Page 18, Daghda's Club: Touch of the large end is a death spell, touch of the small end is an unlimited raise dead spell, hits for 5d10 damage.

Page 21, Cu Chulain, Gae Blog: spear made from the bones of a sea dragon, +4 and hits for 4d10 damage, when held can never be surprised.

Page 22, Odin, Odin's Bow: +3 composite recurve, fires 10 +3 arrows per turn that never miss.

Page 47, Toth Amon's Ring: A magic user of 10th level or more rises 10 levels in experience while possessing it.

Page 67, The Five Fire Seven Feather Fan of Defending: Defends the user from any number of material weapons, not permitting them to strike. Also negates all spells used against the wielder.

Mind, this is just a sample of the toys in that book.

That's a lot of OP stuff. Perfect.

Barstro
2017-01-23, 11:28 AM
The prankster in my wonders if the DM is just getting these ideas so he can outfit the enemy and claim that it's all your fault.

Ignoring that, I am concerned about how the DM will make the game even remotely challenging after you and your party acquire all this stuff. Greater power often leads to one-sided fights.

Is there a decent item that would actually allow the party to survive some (un)lucky rolls in the game of rocket-tag that this might turn into? I've not played at such high power levels, but I'd had to see a TPK just because the DM was trying to make things fun and challenging.

Jarmen4u
2017-01-24, 04:53 AM
The prankster in my wonders if the DM is just getting these ideas so he can outfit the enemy and claim that it's all your fault.

Ignoring that, I am concerned about how the DM will make the game even remotely challenging after you and your party acquire all this stuff. Greater power often leads to one-sided fights.

Is there a decent item that would actually allow the party to survive some (un)lucky rolls in the game of rocket-tag that this might turn into? I've not played at such high power levels, but I'd had to see a TPK just because the DM was trying to make things fun and challenging.

The DM is very experienced and his world is very lethal. He has read the books (and mentioned how much he loved them) so I don't doubt at least one or more of those items exists in his game world, since he's been running it for 20+ years now. His "world" is very expansive and draws from loads of different themes, including ring worlds, spelljammers, and all kinds of homemade races from the 80s. It's the type of place where having any (or all) of those items wouldn't get you terribly far. Either way, he generally tries to run the game in a manner where people are doing it to have fun adventuring, and not to "climb the ladder" so to speak. Honestly, I'd be terrified to see what's waiting in the woodwork to stop anyone who'd try such a thing.

John Longarrow
2017-01-24, 04:17 PM
Don't remember where I read it, but someone did a port of "Widowmaker" from the Book of Swords. When wielded it blocks ALL attack by weapons and immediately kills the attacker (if in reach). Does NOTHING and can't be used against unarmed opponents. Cannot be sheathed when you are attacked.

Seems totally OP until you realize a monk can walk up and beat you since they are "unarmed" and the sword will do nothing to them...

Telok
2017-01-24, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah. Saberhagen's (sp?) sword books. I forgot about those. Coinspinner is pretty tempting for the laughs, but the healing sword would be nice too. I'd stay away from the others, personally. The others tend to have... drawbacks. And that's in addition to making you a target.

Didn't Widowmaker also tend to dislocate the user's shoulder at times?

Jarmen4u
2017-01-27, 01:48 AM
Don't remember where I read it, but someone did a port of "Widowmaker" from the Book of Swords. When wielded it blocks ALL attack by weapons and immediately kills the attacker (if in reach). Does NOTHING and can't be used against unarmed opponents. Cannot be sheathed when you are attacked.

Seems totally OP until you realize a monk can walk up and beat you since they are "unarmed" and the sword will do nothing to them...

Bad news boys. Asked the DM about the Book of Swords, he said all 12 swords are in his world somewhere already. ****ing hell, I know he read all the old fantasy books but I didn't realize it was this extensive. I'm just gonna take what I can get and hope I don't die, which is how it usually goes.

John Longarrow
2017-01-27, 06:32 AM
Ask for a ring that lets you channel Audie Murphy, Miyamoto Musashi, or Erich Hartmann as needed.

Segev
2017-01-27, 10:56 AM
My suggestion isn't necessarily as grand as others', but seems in line with a pseudodragon familiar: ask for a full set of Orbs of Dragonkind. Maybe further augmented so they can float around your head like ioun stones.

Telok
2017-01-27, 11:58 AM
Bad news boys. Asked the DM about the Book of Swords, he said all 12 swords are in his world somewhere already. ****ing hell, I know he read all the old fantasy books but I didn't realize it was this extensive. I'm just gonna take what I can get and hope I don't die, which is how it usually goes.

Ask for Farslayer. Chances are you'll get it.

Then get a way to teleport it back to you/ally in the same round.

Jay R
2017-01-27, 12:49 PM

Great question!

... and there's your answer.

He might ask about the Silver Age Superman's costume. It's known to protect ordinary people from damage from swords, bullets, extreme cold or heat, etc. (other than damage to the head).

Jarmen4u
2017-01-27, 06:11 PM
My suggestion isn't necessarily as grand as others', but seems in line with a pseudodragon familiar: ask for a full set of Orbs of Dragonkind. Maybe further augmented so they can float around your head like ioun stones.

That, actually, was more of a separate case, and an exception. He gave me a pseudodragon familiar with class levels to act as a second character in the off-chance we were short players, as at the time I was an assistant DM and we were struggling to keep a full group together save the 3 regulars we usually have with us. So most games he just sits around my neck out of sight as we've been in the company of dragon-hunters for a few months now.

I'll run it past him, but I'm not sure how he'd take modifying timeless artifacts with custom magic effects. Maybe I'll just put a magic rope on it or something and tie it around my wrist. :smallbiggrin:

Segev
2017-01-27, 08:49 PM
You want Woundhealer. Not only is it the only one without a "gets you dead" drawback, but it's one of the most powerful, if you like staying alive.

Alent
2017-01-27, 09:03 PM

Just remember to cast proper divinations every single time you want to spike someone. The last thing you want to do is toss it at the guy with Shieldbreaker.

You want Woundhealer. Not only is it the only one without a "gets you dead" drawback, but it's one of the most powerful, if you like staying alive.

This. Absolutely this.

Telok
2017-01-27, 11:34 PM
Woundhealer would be nice, but the DM probably won't give it to them. Farslayer is obviously dangerous enough to the user that it might pass inspection. Combine it with something like a Ring of Arming or some way to teleport it back to you and some reasonable caution (don't target people with Woundhealer in them or holding Shieldbreaker, Coinspinner could be dangerous too) and it's quite nice.

meschlum
2017-01-29, 03:37 AM
An item straight from the DMG that has rather impressive potential is the Mirror of Mental Prowess. At will scrying and teleportation is incredibly useful, and quite tasty too.

John Longarrow
2017-01-29, 03:42 PM
Tower shield with a mirror of opposition on the outside and a neat curtain that you can draw over it?