PDA

View Full Version : How to be a better player

shadow_archmagi
2017-01-16, 08:27 AM
I've noticed that a lot of DMs work really hard on constantly improving as DMs, and tides of ink have been spilled on how to do so, but there's very little on how to be a better player. Here are my suggestions:

1. Be Polite.
Arrive on time. Let people know your ETA if you can't arrive on time. Let people know your ETA when you can arrive on time.

If food is a part of your gathering ritual, don't eat beforehand. If a communal meal isn't part of your game, do eat beforehand; nobody wants to watch you scarf a big mac and get grease on the table. If food is part of your ritual, chip in for the DM's pizza.

Be conscious of who is providing what materials. Don't assume the DM is printing character sheets and providing rulebooks for everyone. It's probably okay if you don't have dice, but, again, ask.

Arrive ready to play tabletop RPGs, and continue attempting to play tabletop RPGs until you've played tabletop RPGs. DO NOT begin side projects or run errands while waiting for a late player- That just makes YOU the late player, and encourages them to do housekeeping while waiting for you in a never-ending cycle.

Try to make scheduling easy for the DM. Suggest times that would work well for you.

Don't show up without a character unless you've specifically planned on doing character generation the first session. Character generation generally takes time and doesn't go any faster in a group, so there's no reason not to do it beforehand. Don't ask everyone else to wait an hour while you monopolize the DM.

2. Respect the Metagame and Tone.
Design your character to fit in with the group. If the existing party consists of an escaped slave with PTSD and a dishonored samurai, do not play Zanzibar Fartmaster the Racist Gnome. If the party already includes Zanzibar and Banzibar the Siamese Gnome Twins, then you probably shouldn't play a reformed assassin who just wants to stop killing. If nobody in the group has made a character yet, talk to the other players and the GM about where on the scale of ronin-to-fartmaster everyone wants the game to be.

Is the game conventionally cooperative? Then don't betray the party, steal from them, kill them, etc. Try not to have goals or take actions that are directly to the detriment of everyone. Do not 'accidentally' sabotage the party with stuff like "My character got drunk and peed on the king and now we are all outlaws. WHOOPSIE PEESIES"

Are you playing something competitive at your table, like Paranoia? Then don't take it personally when your best friend stabs you in the back and kicks you onto spikes. Don't join a game about exploding your friends if you're not emotionally capable of exploding and being exploded without holding grudges.

Don't pretend that there's only one interpretation of your character. Never say things like "Sorry, it said alcoholic on my character sheet so I had no choice." Even if you want poor decision-making to be part of your artistic aesthetic, you're in control of which poor decisions your character makes, and other players have every right to be upset with you personally because you chose to have your character pee on the king.

Actively choose interpretations of your character that fit best with the tone and goals of the game. If you're playing a Paladin, and it seems like the other players and the DM want to do a smuggling adventure, you can say something like "That sounds like a great idea. Justicar Swordman will become a smuggler and make a bunch of criminal contacts. Then later, when a murdercult appears, he can ask his criminal friends if anyone bought a bunch of curvy cult-knives lately. This adventure will save a lot of lives."

3. Rules and mechanics:
You should have a reasonable grasp on the rules. After three sessions or so, you should not be asking many questions about core mechanics.

Some mechanics are complex and hard to remember- Spellcasters often have a dozen spells with specific rules. Make sure to review your character's abilities and summarize them effectively so that you're not slowing the game down.

The difference between a good player who works constructively to make the game more fun and an obnoxious rules lawyer is largely one of timing. Long arguments in the middle of the session make the game less fun. Discussions and suggestions between sessions can be very useful.

4. Final Note:
Don't play games you don't like. If you want to play Shadowrun, and the rest of your gaming group loves D&D 4E, don't just hang out unhappily and constantly try to convince them to switch. It's much better to say "Sorry guys, I'm just not feeling it" than wait until a bridge burns. You can just have two RPG groups and bounce between them depending on what they're playing.

Also, don't do that thing nerds do where they absolutely refuse to ever exclude anyone- sometimes life is way better without Spencer the Stalker in your tabletop group.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-16, 09:17 AM
I like the list. I would add:
-if the group's gaming ritual does include a meal, and for whatever reason you have to eat beforehand, or just don't want to eat make this clear and be polite about it. Do not take food when it arrives unless offered.

Just because it can happen.

I agree on the 'learn the basic rules' front. I have no problem with players who need help creating a character, but if I have to say 'use the d20 for attack rolls' in the sixth consecutive session with combat I will begin to get annoyed.

hifidelity2
2017-01-16, 10:12 AM
Can we add

1.1 Bring BEER

Altair_the_Vexed
2017-01-16, 10:57 AM
Can we add

1.1 Bring BEER
Can we add " - or other social intoxicants - only when appropriate."

Some people don't like beer, some don't like alcohol, and some are upset and distressed by the presence of alcohol cause they're in recovery.

And that's before we even start on the nations and states that have other legal intoxicants (discussion of which is outside forum rules, IIRC).

Sorry - buzzkill. My friends and I often enjoy wine, rum or whisky with a game.

Geddy2112
2017-01-16, 11:08 AM
Interacting at the table-

When the group or players are doing something, actively listen, not just to wait to speak, but to let each other do as they would do. Don't cut off or interrupt other players mid action, and seriously do not interrupt the DM when they are giving a description. Give other players a chance to act; if other players seem to not be doing a lot then 1. Make sure you are giving others ample chances to act and 2. Engage their character somehow. WHen you are not doing something, actively listen, don't zone out or start playing on your phone.

Don't force actions on another character, or do anything you would not do to a stranger in real life. Forcing them to drink potions, pantsing them, etc is basically assault and borderline PvP. Respect their character's personal space. Unless your group specifically agreed to PvP or are playing a game focused on PvP like Paranoia, don't engage in PvP of any kind(not just physical fighting, but fundementally challenging or attacking their character concept).

Also, keep non sequitor talk to a minimum. This varies from table to table on how much off topic banter is okay-sometimes we crack a Monty Python joke and it results in a few minutes of unrelated banter, but don't suddenly bring up what you did last weekend mid roleplay. If your group is prone to it, let natural breaks and pauses in the session be a time where everyone can goof a bit then get back to it.

Can we add
1.1 Bring BEER
While this is true, don't get irresponsibly intoxicated. Getting pass out on the table/throwing up drunk is not okay. Neither is getting belligerent, loud, or otherwise derailing from the game because you are drunk.

Segev
2017-01-16, 11:42 AM
One of the few games I've gotten up and left due to not enjoying the company was with friendly acquaintances who brought liquor to it. Their inebriation was...off-putting.

(I don't drink, and fortunately am bad at telling how drunk others are, so it doesn't usually bother me, but if I can tell you're drunk, I get uncomfortable. I've never found drunks "funny.")

Koo Rehtorb
2017-01-16, 11:51 AM
Learn the rules. LEARN THE RULES. LEARN THE RULES.

Segev
2017-01-16, 11:58 AM
Learn the rules. LEARN THE RULES. LEARN THE RULES.

You are not cleared to know the rules, Citizen. Encouraging people to learn things beyond their clearance is treason.

wumpus
2017-01-16, 12:52 PM
You are not cleared to know the rules, Citizen. Encouraging people to learn things beyond their clearance is treason.

Learn the rules of the tabletop, which might be quite different than the rules of the game (then make sure you know as much of the rules of the game as needed, but the rules of your tabletop are much more important). Old school gaming has some interesting things to say about players who learn rules not included in the players handbook (or player area of other rulebooks). Also look up the "what is too optimized" thread: knowing how to optimize 20 splat books might not be so useful (or might be absolutely required) depending on the group.

Then there was the "deep dive into the background" I did when I learned I was playing Bushido with the "gifted and talented" kids (who had Japan as a central point of learning). Nevermind the rules, I had some basic learning to do.

And bringing beer is often part of the rules.

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-16, 03:49 PM
1. Be Polite.

2. Be Efficient.

3. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

...In character I mean.

...Usually.

But in all seriousness provide the following:

1. Pencils
2. Erasers
3. If used, figures and tokens.
4. Fresh character sheets.
5. GOOD Pencil sharpeners (not the 25 cent pencil manglers with blades duller than a Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 when you've already played it before)

It's amazing how providing those things can make people appreciate you for a while.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-16, 03:59 PM
5. GOOD Pencil sharpeners (not the 25 cent pencil manglers with blades duller than a Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 when you've already played it before)

I personally tend to always have a couple of mechanical pencils on me, because I hate using pencil sharpeners, and will loan them out to fellow players as needed. In fact, pencils/sharpeners is the one thing people will love you bringing in my experience.

Vitruviansquid
2017-01-16, 04:25 PM
I don't know about anyone else who may have tried this, but I started having a lot more fun in games when I stopped writing large backstories to my characters and opted instead for 3 sentences max about my characters' history and personality. When you have too much information prepared by yourself, I find, you reduce the space for new developments to your character in-game.

Maglubiyet
2017-01-16, 05:08 PM
2. Respect the Metagame and Tone.
Design your character to fit in with the group. If the existing party consists of an escaped slave with PTSD and a dishonored samurai, do not play Zanzibar Fartmaster the Racist Gnome. If the party already includes Zanzibar and Banzibar the Siamese Gnome Twins, then you probably shouldn't play a reformed assassin who just wants to stop killing. If nobody in the group has made a character yet, talk to the other players and the GM about where on the scale of ronin-to-fartmaster everyone wants the game to be.

This one is probably my biggest pet peeve. Whether I'm GM'ing or playing, I always seem to run into That Guy who just has to play something way out of character for the tone of the game.

I guess it's a form of attention whoring?

Cluedrew
2017-01-16, 05:23 PM
Speak up.

If something comes up that you are not happy with something bring it up. Politely. Many times I've been reading a worst player/GM story when suddenly I realize: "Did you tell them?" The answer is usually no. And in my own experience the worst role-playing game session I had I didn't say anything at the time because I thought everyone else was having fun. Nope, I don't think anyone was.

ElFi
2017-01-16, 05:39 PM
This is sorta-kinda related to No. 1 on the headpost, but:

5. Be nice.
Nobody's perfect or immune to sudden bursts of temper or holding a grudge once or a while. Even so, try not to bring that to the table. Arguments between players (or arguments between player and DM, and other combinations thereof) can derail game sessions or even entire campaigns, and if you bring it away from the table and into the rest of your life, it only gets worse. One needs only to search this very forum to find horror stories of real-life friendships that were destroyed or irreparably damaged by disagreements at an RP table.

If somebody thinks that something you're doing is annoying or off-putting and suggests that you stop, please do so. Even if the request seems silly to you, honor it unless it seems completely unreasonable. Roleplaying is a cooperative experience, and one of your duties at a table (be it as player or GM) is to ensure that cooperation occurs and is perpetuated. Vice versa, don't be afraid to speak up if somebody else is doing something that's making you uncomfortable.

Unless you're trying to mediate, don't get involved in arguments that you aren't a part of, more likely than not it'll only make it worse and leave even more people with hurt feelings. Lastly, don't be afraid or embarrassed to walk away from the table for a minute if you feel like your temper is about to get the best of you.

Amphetryon
2017-01-16, 06:50 PM
Supplementing Geddy2112:

6. Be Present.

More than just arriving on time and ready to play, focus on the game to the best of your ability, while the game is being played. Just because you and another party member split off to scout ahead of the main group does not mean you should break out the Yu-Gi-Oh! cards when the GM turns her attention to the group of which you are not part.

Not that I've had to deal with this behavior in person or anything. :smallyuk:

Darth Ultron
2017-01-16, 10:39 PM
Want to play.

I encounter so many players that don't really want to play, and I will always wonder why they even show up for the game. Like the busy person that has 101 things to do, and the game is like number 99. But really if your life is ''so'' busy, everyone will understand if you can't game. The family person who, for example *must* read his daughter a story every night and ''can't'' ever skip a night. So family person plays for like an hour, goes home and takes *four hours* to um ''read a story'', then comes back right before midnight and is like ''what did I miss?". Again, I'd just tell this person to stay home.

Same way if you just worked 12 hours or such, showing up half asleep is a bit pointless.

I also see lots of players show up to waste time or just have something to do, but they don't really want to game, they just want to ''not do nothing''. But why? How about spending your free time doing something you want to do.

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-16, 11:11 PM
Learn the rules of the tabletop, which might be quite different than the rules of the game (then make sure you know as much of the rules of the game as needed, but the rules of your tabletop are much more important). Old school gaming has some interesting things to say about players who learn rules not included in the players handbook (or player area of other rulebooks). Also look up the "what is too optimized" thread: knowing how to optimize 20 splat books might not be so useful (or might be absolutely required) depending on the group.

Then there was the "deep dive into the background" I did when I learned I was playing Bushido with the "gifted and talented" kids (who had Japan as a central point of learning). Nevermind the rules, I had some basic learning to do.

That paranoia reference just sailed totally over your head

Pauly
2017-01-16, 11:16 PM
Learn the mantra - random distribution is not even distribution. Go with the flow with your dice rolls. Don't get cocky when you roll good, don't get upset when you roll bad.

We role play with people in order to create stories. If you want to minmax your character and level grind please do that on a computer. It is a lot more fun to do the inefficient thing, the in character thing, the my character doesn't know that even though the player does thing to create a more entertaining story.

hifidelity2
2017-01-17, 06:21 AM
Learn the rules of the tabletop, which might be quite different than the rules of the game (then make sure you know as much of the rules of the game as needed, but the rules of your tabletop are much more important).

Totally agree (re the rules of the table)
Some groups take it very seriously, others are more relaxed. In one group stopping the game to discuss politics (real world) for an hour is fine in another it just makes everyone mad

2D8HP
2017-01-17, 08:29 AM
I don't know about anyone else who may have tried this, but I started having a lot more fun in games when I stopped writing large backstories to my characters and opted instead for 3 sentences max about my characters' history and personality. When you have too much information prepared by yourself, I find, you reduce the space for new developments to your character in-game.
I find that The Back-story is usually nothing more than a writing sample the DM wants you to provide, and actually trying to role-play the character that back-story suggests will be disruptive to Adventure the DM has prepared (especially if it's a published one) and/or party cohesion.
I find that it's usually best to realize early that DM's use the word count of the back-stories written as a way to measure potential players commitment to playing the game, but it's usually best to ignore it when the game actually starts.

Also, on those rare occasions when a DM actually does try to use elements of a PC's back-story, their interpretation of what that backstory means may be very different than the yours, so try to be good humored about it.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-17, 10:07 AM
Most GM's I've played with who ask for backstories will except one of 2-4 sentences, or a bullet point form (I prefer backstories in bullet point form myself, it's easier to reference).

In some games a backstory is assumed, in Fate Core you're expected to come up with one as part of deciding your aspects (and link it to the other players), but it also assumes that even if the GM has made most of the setting the players should help fill out the faces and places relevant to the game. Conversely in a game of Tunnels and Trolls a backstory isn't important, it's much more aimed at fun and dungeon crawling. Conversely Unknown Armies doesn't demand a backstory, but it might be useful'to know why your Urbanomancer has thirty points in farming.

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-17, 03:50 PM
Here's something I find helps:

HAM IT UP!

Seriously, too many times players try to be subdued in order to try to be disaffected or aloof to try to be cool, or are just nervous.

I say, crank your character up to 11 and have them act OUTRAGEOUS! And yes, if you heard Aquaman from Batman: The Brave and the Bold in that voice, that's EXACTLY what can make a D&D game more fun.

Have accents, have your character have temper tantrums that leave them ranting at people, have them be larger than life, and don't be afraid to be a little silly. My most popular character I ever played was a jawa in a Star Wars game who acted like Wall-E running around screaming and panicking, but then reacting with clever or convoluted things or leaping headfirst into rigging the door we need open NOW! It was silly, hammy, and definitely exaggerated, but it was a riot to play him.

The other players and DM cant read your in character subtle growl or lifting of an eyebrow, you have to magnify the personality for it to shine through.

2D8HP
2017-01-17, 04:20 PM

HAM IT UP!.....

Upon reading the post, my first thought was

Ham-to-Ham Combat (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HamToHamCombat)

And that my next PC must have a pirate or sailor background!

Barbossa: What ARRR ya doin'?

Sparrow: What are YOU doing?

Barbossa: NO! What ARRRRRR ya doin'!?

Sparrow: What are YOU doing?

Barbossa: No, What AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR you doing?

No-Kill Cleric
2017-01-20, 12:16 AM

HAM IT UP!

True fact. As an in-between campaign event, each player hosted a one shot for us to have some practice and for the DM to play and take a break. Now, I had only a few months experience with RPGs in general and the DM introduced me to a silly homebrew for 3.5 (Tome of Radiance) that I really wanted to use. I made a ton of terrible rookie DM mistakes. It was confusing and awkward and shameful.

But it was all worth it, since the DM was as big of a magical girl anime fan as me. He completely yucked up every moment it was his time to shine, and I couldn't stop laughing it was so funny. My work was terrible, but that humor more than overpowered those memories and I think back on that day fondly.

My advice would be try to be genre savvy, at least somewhat. Read the relevant tropes, watch movies of the same genre, anything for you to be familiar with the tone of the campaign or character archetype before you go into it. Comedically genre unsavvy can be funny, but being unaware can be to your detriment.

Phoenixguard09
2017-01-20, 04:08 AM
I find that The Back-story is usually nothing more than a writing sample the DM wants you to provide, and actually trying to role-play the character that back-story suggests will be disruptive to Adventure the DM has prepared (especially if it's a published one) and/or party cohesion.
I find that it's usually best to realize early that DM's use the word count of the back-stories written as a way to measure potential players commitment to playing the game, but it's usually best to ignore it when the game actually starts.

Also, on those rare occasions when a DM actually does try to use elements of a PC's back-story, their interpretation of what that backstory means may be very different than the yours, so try to be good humored about it.

I don't think I really agree with this. I always encourage players to put some time into their backstory and do my best to incorporate it into the game. I also tend to talk to that player about how I want to being elements in before it happens so that I am being as true as I can be to the concept they came up with.

tensai_oni
2017-01-20, 04:52 AM

HAM IT UP!

Seriously, too many times players try to be subdued in order to try to be disaffected or aloof to try to be cool, or are just nervous.

I played my fair bit of hammy characters and they were usually very fun to play, also hamming it up is an easy way to spice up your character if you don't know what else to do with them.

But overall I can't say I agree. My best characters tended to be rather subdued. What they were not is boring to interact with - they reacted to things in non-trite ways so other players felt it was worth it to talk and do other things with them.

So I'd say this is less of a must-do if you want to be a good player, and more a possible hint if you're out of ideas.

My advice would be try to be genre savvy, at least somewhat. Read the relevant tropes, watch movies of the same genre, anything for you to be familiar with the tone of the campaign or character archetype before you go into it. Comedically genre unsavvy can be funny, but being unaware can be to your detriment.

I agree very much, assuming this is about OOC and not IC. Genre-savvy players are a good thing. Genre-savvy characters are optional and can be fun if done well, but also annoying if not.

Darth Ultron
2017-01-20, 07:29 AM

This would go along with having common sense. So many players just do crazy, stupid things as if they were normal...but not in the good way. Like where the DM describes twenty guards in a courtyard, and a lone player is like ''I walk over and attack the 1st guard''. And it's not that they have a clever, wacky plan or anything...they are just mindlessly attacking 20 guards.

And this goes along with knowing the game rules, I know you ''saw a Youtube video once that you can't find again'' where some guy shot an arrow through three targets, but the game rules say you can't shot through three orcs ''just do that as you saw it once on Youtube''.

And don't be so ''genre savvy'' that you become a hostile player that is playing against the DM. Don't think of ''oh, of course the vault door is guarded, as the DM wants to give us a hard time'' and such.

PersonMan
2017-01-20, 07:39 AM

I'd replace this with "Talk to the GM and other players about backstory, what role it will play, and what will work best for the game", personally. It covers all the cases in which backstory is more or less important, etc.

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-20, 11:50 AM
I played my fair bit of hammy characters and they were usually very fun to play, also hamming it up is an easy way to spice up your character if you don't know what else to do with them.

But overall I can't say I agree. My best characters tended to be rather subdued. What they were not is boring to interact with - they reacted to things in non-trite ways so other players felt it was worth it to talk and do other things with them.

So I'd say this is less of a must-do if you want to be a good player, and more a possible hint if you're out of ideas.

I think we can at least agree that you should make sure your characters aren't BORING. As you say, you made them interesting to interact with.

A character being subdued or subtle can work, but they should have something to say at least SOME of the time, if not most of the time. They can be a jokester, they can be a straight face trying to keep order, they can be optimistic, or even just plain crazy, but they should be able to say something.

The type of character I absolutely hate is someone who plays like Squall from Final Fantasy 8 and responds with silence to everything. "..." to everything.

I suppose it's less "Be a ham" and "Don't be AFRAID to be a ham." A hammy character is 10 times better than a boring one (unless you are interrupting the rest of the party over and over).

Being hammy can work in a pinch if you can't think of anything else, as you said.

No-Kill Cleric
2017-01-20, 02:52 PM
I agree very much, assuming this is about OOC and not IC. Genre-savvy players are a good thing. Genre-savvy characters are optional and can be fun if done well, but also annoying if not.

Yes, OOC indeed. You don't want to be completely caught off guard, especially if the game is a reference to a specific work. There's a key difference between not knowing Dwarf Fortress has beard-based traps, and purposefully choosing to not have a bearded character in a Dwarf Fortress game.

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-21, 10:40 AM
Yes, OOC indeed. You don't want to be completely caught off guard, especially if the game is a reference to a specific work. There's a key difference between not knowing Dwarf Fortress has beard-based traps, and purposefully choosing to not have a bearded character in a Dwarf Fortress game.

i don't think you understand what dwarf fortress is:smallconfused:
unless there is a different game i haven't heard about the ascii based dwarf fortress has no beard based traps

prufock
2017-01-21, 11:34 AM
Adopt the "Yes" mindset

When the GM presents plot hooks, NPCs, villains, and so on, play along. Say "yes" to the situation. More, say "Yes, and..." or "Yes, but..." and add to the scenario.

D+1
2017-01-21, 12:26 PM
I wrote a "Manifesto" a number of years ago. It needs to be shortened up a bit more but here it is:

1. Have fun. If you're not having fun, try to do something constructive about it. Don’t be disruptive in the name of finding something to do. Your participation is a necessary component and you're not here just to be passively entertained. The worst thing a player can do is to do nothing.

2. Communicate! DM's don't read minds. If something bothers you, SAY SO. DM's also aren't forced to run a game. It's a choice and a sacrifice to do so and players should appreciate that. If a DM gets players who endlessly complain and only want their own way they are NOT going to get a better game by withdrawing their support of the DM. Communication flows both ways and the DM does not need to act as though players should be forbidden to ever know what goes on in a DM's mind or behind the DM shield. When a DM makes rulings there is no reason not to freely explain why he rules as he does unless there is in-game information involved that PC's should not be privy to.

3. The day a DM can't deal with a helpful suggestion or sincere criticism from players about the campaign is the day the DM needs to give up the chair. The game does not revolve around stroking the DM's ego.

4. The DM should not attempt to force the campaign to progress ONLY in predestined directions. The freedom of action that is necessary for player characters can and will foil prearranged plans.

5. The most satisfying combats are usually the ones that take characters right to the dangerous edge of death yet without actually crossing that threshold unnecessarily. The game is random and contains so many variables that it is impossible to plan perfectly. Combat encounters are never a sure thing regardless of how meticulously designed they are. Playing at the edge of disaster it is the most exciting place to be but it is also more likely for events to slip out of control. This is just something that needs to be kept in mind by everyone.

6. A DM who truly sets out to deliberately kill the PC's has no business being a DM, because if the DM wants to win - he wins.

7. The game need not always scale to what the PC's can handle. There should be things in the game world the PC's will not be able to defeat. They need to accept this and plan accordingly. They also deserve "fair warning" when they are getting in over their heads. Again, nobody at the table has ESP and if the DM wants to win, he wins.

8. The DM is not restricted by the same rules as the players and their PC's. Creating new rules, exceptions to rules, and even things that would not otherwise be possible under the rules is a DM's prerogative. Only if the DM overuses or abuses this necessary privilege to no good purpose should players consider it an issue.

9. The players and their characters are not always bound by "the rules" in what they can do, or at least in what they can attempt. There simply isn’t a rule for everything. (To deny the same privilege to the DM would obviously be silly.)

10. The DM is not a slave to the dice. Dice don’t run the game, the DM does.

11. The DM is not required to roll his dice in the open and I believe should even be discouraged from doing so. There are often factors at work that the players need not – even should not – know, suspect, or be able to infer by meta-game mathematics. Players should always roll their dice openly, must use dice that the DM can read and verify results of at all times, and in general are expected to be honest and above-board regarding dice rolls. Nothing is kept secret from the DM once it is put into play because the DM has necessary adjudication and veto power.

12. There WILL be differences of opinion about rules between anyone at the table, player or DM's. The DM should make a ruling after listening to all sides, and if players take exception to the ruling it should be noted for later consideration - but then play should proceed. If something can be resolved by simply looking it up quickly in the rules, do it. The DM is not perfect and not every ruling in a game is a new a law graven in stone.

13. Retconning is never very satisfying, so it may still be better to simply accept what has taken place - no matter how stupidly or badly it was done.

14. A DM should want to see the PC's succeed, but that success should be earned.

15. Characters die, and occasionally should die permanently. The DM can’t predict who will die or when. Players must be willing to have their characters flee to survive and the DM must accept that when that happens he should almost certainly let them go. Players must then not attempt to turn THAT graciousness against the DM.

16. Players must learn the rules. Nobody needs to pass a written test - not even the DM - but it's reasonable to expect that players read the entire Players Handbook and be able to understand it. Only if the DM informs players up front that the rules don't matter, or the player actually has learning disabilities is anyone excused from achieving a general, functional knowledge of the game.

17. Wherever the game session is taking place respect the host and the hosts property. Don't make a mess. Clean it up if you do. Behave. You are a GUEST, even if you are in the house of a friend you have known since birth, so act accordingly. Sadly, it is necessary to state that this includes being mindful of your own hygiene. Just because nobody tells you, "You stink!" doesn't mean that you don't. Often they want to tell you so, but are TOO polite to do so. Perhaps they don't know how to tactfully tell you you're acting like a jerk, need a shower and clean shirt, have breath that will drop a rhino because you don't brush your teeth, etc. Perhaps they just fear that no matter how they phrase it you'll take it the wrong way. Assist the host and/or DM in getting others to respect the "Table Rules" as well as yourself. This shouldn't be necessary to even list, but sadly it seems it too often is, since the subject repeatedly pops up for discussion online. Any simple request that you bathe, brush your teeth, stop interrupting, stop being an ass, pay attention to the game instead of your phone, computer, book, TV, your navel lint, etc. must NOT be considered an insult. It will be considered a FAVOR to you, and an opportunity to better yourself as a person if not as a player. A simple, direct apology and correction of the situation is all that should be necessary. Players are typically responsible for their own food, drinks, etc. unless arrangements are made ahead of time. It is BASIC manners to reciprocate other players hospitality if/when it comes to be your turn to host the game. If you so desire or cannot afford to do so then advise people ahead of time so that other arrangements can be made. Be on time. Many people have limited hours to devote to the game so don't waste it for them. If you will be late or can't make the game let people know. Bring the things you need to bring (dice, character sheets, players handbook, etc.) and be ready to play when you arrive without wasting time. The assumption is that people are there to play D&D, but D&D consists of people getting together for fun. If all other activity except total commitment to playing D&D is forbidden then you're KILLING the fun. RELAX about playing. Yeah, you need to draw lines about wasting time but D&D is not a job either.

18. There are some game details which are simply subject to wide interpretation no matter what. The meaning of alignment and how it works is probably chief among these. Paladins and their obligations are related and a close second. How certain abilities actually function, or maybe just what you will and won't generally allow players/PC's to do are variables. These things MUST be clarified at the start and perhaps even occasionally restated - even if you go "by the book", because people's understanding of what the book means on many issues will vary. These things must be TOLD to players early and repeated often to eliminate misunderstandings and arguments. If players are not given this information then they should ask for it - or else they must not be held liable for having not been provided it.

19. Players are obliged to be fair and reasonable to other players, as well as for their characters to act likewise towards other PC's. There is no excuse for either you or your character to be an ass. NONE. An exception can be granted if the ALL the players are mature enough for their characters to be openly antagonistic of each other, and the DM has made it clear from the start that such behavior is allowed, as well as how it will be kept in line. This is NOT an unreasonable restriction upon roleplaying but is in fact a very basic supposition of the game - that an often radically diverse party of adventurers nonetheless DO work together for money, glory, and other mutually agreeable ends. This means that right from the start, as a player you are largely obliged to find reasons for your character to LIKE the other PC's, not openly antagonize them. It means that no single player OR character gets to dictate to the others the circumstances of their participation in the game in general or the PC party in particular without MUTUAL consent, nor may an exclusive collection of two or more players/characters do so. The DM is obliged to maintain this atmosphere of civility and cooperation, or, if it has been agreed by all beforehand to allow crossing that line, he is obliged to keep in- and out-of-character attitudes and behavior from becoming disruptive.

20. The DM is not required to accommodate or allow everything that the player wants to actually play out in the game. In other words, if the player is about to do something the DM feels is either really stupid or openly disruptive he should stop the game and get clarification or correction before proceeding. Getting into socially UNacceptable topics can also be an issue. While D&D inherently involves violence in particular, going into pornographic details of, say, torture or sex, is not acceptable without express agreement of everyone at the table of where the boundaries will be moved to. Specifically, acts against children and women are of concern because of how some players react to those subjects. D&D is not now and never will be intended as a vehicle to casually engage the twisted, deviant fantasies of immature players. Not all behavior is appropriate to bring to the table in the first place and CERTAINLY not handling such things in degrading detail in the game. DM's can simply state they will not allow certain actions because they are needlessly disruptive, or disallow detailed description of certain actions as being inappropriate for the game at hand.

21. The players run their characters - the DM does NOT. Unless players are being disruptive the DM should keep his stinking paws off the PC's and never make choices FOR them. The ONE THING players get to control in the game is the attempted actions of their characters. DM's should interfere with or overrule that control only in extremis and with great care and caution even then, such as when PC's are under magical control or cursed with lycanthropy. This also extends to not interfering with treasure distribution. Although the DM determines what treasure is found it must generally be left up to the players and their characters to determine how it is distributed (unless it is done so badly by the players as to be disruptive or patently unfair). DM's must also remember that when players are given choices, ALL the possible options must be equally acceptable to the DM or else removed as possibilities in the first place.

No-Kill Cleric
2017-01-21, 04:41 PM
i don't think you understand what dwarf fortress is:smallconfused:
unless there is a different game i haven't heard about the ascii based dwarf fortress has no beard based traps

Haven't played it myself, but the DM for the oneshot made plenty of jokes about it, and most of us picked up through osmosis or read the stories. Maybe the beard traps was a mix of the game humor and his humor?

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-21, 05:16 PM
Haven't played it myself, but the DM for the oneshot made plenty of jokes about it, and most of us picked up through osmosis or read the stories. Maybe the beard traps was a mix of the game humor and his humor?
Oh yeah beard jokes are big in The community
I mean not as big as the outright sociopathic contraptions people come up with
Like huge mermaid murder machines
Despite that even they have a line they won't cross well most of them

GreatDane
2017-01-24, 03:01 PM

HAM IT UP!

[...]

The other players and DM cant read your in character subtle growl or lifting of an eyebrow, you have to magnify the personality for it to shine through.
This good general roleplaying advice! Other players (including the DM) can't pick up/won't read into every small gesture or word choice you make to represent your character, especially if there's not a very distinct difference between your character's reactions and your own reactions. (How can anyone tell whether you or your character is surprised that a gold dragon is running the local crime ring?) Provide a smorgasbord of personality cues so that everyone else at the table gets a sense of your character. Even for cool, quiet, or generally silent characters - make a point of describing or denoting that silence as a personality trait, rather than a lack of roleplaying.

hifidelity2
2017-01-25, 05:54 AM

HAM IT UP!

Exactly - In a star wars game I played (d6) one person played a Wookie - only one of the PC's spoke Wookie and the while the Wookie understood "Standard" he could not speak it

We had him communicate only with growl's, gestures etc unless speaking to the 1 player (or me as DM) and then they had to do it privately so as not to be overheard

It was very effective and funny and the player really enjoyed hamming it up to the n'th degree

DigoDragon
2017-01-25, 11:08 AM
HAM IT UP!

I say, crank your character up to 11 and have them act OUTRAGEOUS! And yes, if you heard Aquaman from Batman: The Brave and the Bold in that voice, that's EXACTLY what can make a D&D game more fun.

I agree with this. Not too hammy that your character becomes annoying or game-derailing, but definitely play them up big and bold. Believe me, once you've played a boisterously hammy bright blue unicorn in a giant purple hat that joined the Avengers Initiative for the screen time on the evening news, you will realize that putting some energy into your character can become self-perpetuating and provides session after session of good times. :D

Adopt the "Yes" mindset

When the GM presents plot hooks, NPCs, villains, and so on, play along. Say "yes" to the situation. More, say "Yes, and..." or "Yes, but..." and add to the scenario.

It helps if your character has a defined goal/ambition that can be advanced with the presented plot hooks. Think about what you can gain from the hook and work the quest-giver into providing the appropriate reward that'll advance your character's story. I have a character who dreams of running a business, but he's a relative nobody with only average charisma. When the GM offered a plot hook to go save the sister of a businessman, I suddenly see an idea--save the sister and ask the businessman to invest in my character's future business as the reward. Now I have potential funding for my dream!

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-25, 12:31 PM
Exactly - In a star wars game I played (d6) one person played a Wookie - only one of the PC's spoke Wookie and the while the Wookie understood "Standard" he could not speak it

We had him communicate only with growl's, gestures etc unless speaking to the 1 player (or me as DM) and then they had to do it privately so as not to be overheard

It was very effective and funny and the player really enjoyed hamming it up to the n'th degree

I did the exact same thing with my Jawa. He mainly only spoke to one character who understood Jawa.

Of course, one has to realize when the joke isn't funny anymore. As fun as Chewbacca's growls were, in the end it was his characterization, relationships, and attitude that shone through, however subtly that made him work as a character.

daniel_ream
2017-01-25, 11:29 PM
I wrote a "Manifesto" a number of years ago. It needs to be shortened up a bit more but here it is:

I threw out my own manifesto years ago and replaced it with "Be a mature adult. If you don't know what that means, get the **** out of my house."

(In particular, I disagree with the "Players must roll in the open with legible dice" point. If your players are the type to cheat or lie about their rolls, why are you playing with people like that?)

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-26, 07:08 AM
(In particular, I disagree with the "Players must roll in the open with legible dice" point. If your players are the type to cheat or lie about their rolls, why are you playing with people like that?)

To remove the ambiguity.

We are a paranoid species, so a particularly good roll makes us question someone's veracity, even if they are a trusted friend. It's not fair and it's not conscious, but we can't help it, and just having the dice out in the open removes any underlying feelings that we hate having, but can't help.

Jay R
2017-01-26, 10:30 AM
Know your character. Understand completely how to use his skills and abilities. I try to re-read each skill and feat a day before the game. I also prepare a chart showing stats for all his spells (range, area or effect, etc.) in Excel, so it automatically updates when he levels up.

Segev
2017-01-26, 11:03 AM
To remove the ambiguity.

We are a paranoid species, so a particularly good roll makes us question someone's veracity, even if they are a trusted friend. It's not fair and it's not conscious, but we can't help it, and just having the dice out in the open removes any underlying feelings that we hate having, but can't help.

There is something to this. Having a blanket rule about it ensures that you're also never accusing somebody of deliberately cheating if you invoke it; you're just enforcing a blanket rule. If people follow it, then the question of the more nefarious sort never arises.

It is, to borrow D&D alignment terms, a Lawful approach to social harmony. Prevent a need to rely on trust, and that trust won't be strained. (Chaos would argue it's also never exercised, which leads to its own weakenings, but that's another matter entirely.)

CharonsHelper
2017-01-26, 11:46 AM
This one is probably my biggest pet peeve. Whether I'm GM'ing or playing, I always seem to run into That Guy who just has to play something way out of character for the tone of the game.

Pretty much. I think of it as SSS (Special Snowflake Syndrome).

GM: Okay, this is going to be a dark gritty campaign.

SSS: Okay, my character is a little pixie girl in a bright pink dress you likes rainbows, cupcakes, and giggles.

GM: *sigh*

GM: Okay, this is going to be a kinda goofy lighthearted campaign.

SSS: My character is a half-orc whose mother abandoned me as a small child. I had to steal and kill other children to survive growing up on the mean streets and I've never known what it feels like to be loved.

GM: *sigh*

Jay R
2017-01-26, 01:16 PM

Sometimes, yes. But it's much more often a result of believing the absurd and game-destroying idea that "I should get to play exactly the character idea I came up with, not modified by anything else." Somebody who thought it out deliberately would be being selfish, but many gamers aren't that analytical. It's an unspoken, unrecognized assumption.