PDA

View Full Version : The Cret class: The (hopefully) first possession based class

Thelogicmatrix
2017-01-16, 08:38 AM
This is my first post and I don't know too much about D&D. But as someone who is rather good at coming up with cool or badass ideas (or both) I had decided to come up with the first (probably not but meh) possession based character.
Right now you are probably thinking this:
1. Isn't there some homebrew possessing thing already
2. This idea is probably horrible
3. I like flowers
The class is called the Cret.
The lore of Crets is that they were people that were greedy and therefore remain on the same plain of existence as corporeal beings. However, they are only able to exist in a non-corporeal form for short periods. They are mostly chaotic evil but there are some that have repented for their sins and sanitys have returned. These are mostly chaotic good. They stay on this plane by consuming the souls of people and staying in their bodies. The chaotic good crets are created when a Cret steals a child's life. Only then is it returned to sanity and is haunted by their cruelty.
Abilities:(have no idea in what order to put these so please give me help and ideas on this)
Possess: takes over a new body, treat it as a combat between you and the creature at full health (this is a sperate health bar from the physical health of the creature). If the creatures physical health drops to zero you can't possess the body you can only possess bodies by killing the soul then possessing the body. The physical health points left in the body will be your physical hp. You have to possess at least one person a day or your base hp will be reduced for the next day by a d6.You have 3 charges of this and it takes a long rest to get these back.
Corporeal: pushes you out of you current host body and turns on into your physical form your physical form is what you are normally for it genaraly has better stats than the host for it is very hard to take down higher leveled creatures. A free move.

Incorporeal: makes you unable to physically attack or be physically attacked. However, magic still work on you. Every turn in this form does a d6 of damage to you.
That's currently all for now please give me more ideas on how to make this playable for my knowledge is fairly limited for I have never played a D&D game as I am quite busy.

Edit: Can be played with any race and lore is changed to excluding the race

khadgar567
2017-01-16, 08:54 AM
This is my first post and I don't know too much about D&D. But as someone who is rather good at coming up with cool or badass ideas (or both) I had decided to come up with the first (probably not but meh) possession based character.
Right now you are probably thinking this:
1. Isn't there some homebrew possessing thing already
2. This idea is probably horrible
3. I like flowers
Well what's different with this class is that it requires a special race first. The race is called the Ventai, and the class is called the Cret.
The lore of the Ventai is that they were people that were greedy and therefore remain on the same plain of existence as corporeal beings. However, they are only able to exist in a non-corporeal form for short periods. They are mostly chaotic evil but there are some that have repented for their sins and sanitys have returned. These are mostly chaotic good. They stay on this plane by consuming the souls of people and staying in their bodies. The chaotic good crets are created when a Cret steals a child's life. Only then is it returned to sanity and is haunted by their cruelty.
Abilities:(have no idea in what order to put these so please give me help and ideas on this)
Possess: takes over a new body, treat it as a combat between you and the creature at full health (this is a sperate health bar from the physical health of the creature). If the creatures physical health drops to zero you can't possess the body you can only possess bodies by killing the soul then possessing the body. The physical health points left in the body will be your physical hp. You have to possess at least one person a day or your base hp will be reduced for the next day by a d6.You have 3 charges of this and it takes a long rest to get these back.
Corporeal: pushes you out of you current host body and turns on into your physical form your physical form is what you are normally for it genaraly has better stats than the host for it is very hard to take down higher leveled creatures. A free move.

Incorporeal: makes you unable to physically attack or be physically attacked. However, magic still work on you. Every turn in this form does a d6 of damage to you.
That's currently all for now please give me more ideas on how to make this playable for my knowledge is fairly limited for I have never played a D&D game as I am quite busy.
okay kiddo. You got an idea so try to put it in to twenty level spread and cut the must be this race to be this class part its bad for brewing

Thelogicmatrix
2017-01-16, 05:45 PM
okay kiddo. You got an idea so try to put it in to twenty level spread and cut the must be this race to be this class part its bad for brewing

Thanks for the feedback ! Made edits. Will do some reading up before doing the twenty level thing just to make sure the class is balanced.

Morphic tide
2017-01-16, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback ! Made edits. Will do some reading up before doing the twenty level thing just to make sure the class is balanced.

There's a table creation tool. Go for 21 rows and 5 columns if it has nothing beyond the basic BAB, saves and class features.

Edit: As for more detailed things, I'd suggest focusing on symbiosis or parasitism, where the possessed gets bonuses and abilities based on the Cret's level/choices or the Cret's abilities largely only working while possessing someone, who they can then either kill from the inside out or aid more with added cost to the Cret.

Look up Incarnum for stuff to base the buffs on, if you want to focus on a spiritual type of possession. Granted, doing that adds one or two columns to the table for the Incarnum things, but it has the advantage of Incarnum being built around three different classes sharing one list of abilities, so it's much harder to screw up and make overpowered than most options.

Also, this would be the first class focused on possession I have seen. Another person just posted another class that can do possession over in another thread, but that class is not focused on possession.