PDA

View Full Version : Pixel Dungeon: That Damn Crab made it to my phone?!?

Gandariel
2017-01-16, 10:14 AM
So, Pixel dungeon.

Discovered by accident, it's now by far my favorite phone game. And I don't really play on my phone.

It's a turn based pixel-y RPG. Procedurally generated dungeon, item upgrades, class system.

But. It's so fun!

First off, the game is ***hard***. Like, 85% of my characters didn't make it to level 5 (the first boss).

Unforgiving and brutal in the same way of Dark Souls (even though I never played any Dark Souls games), you feel cheated for every annoying death.

I've died from pretty much every monster, trap, Poison, fire, hunger, fall-off-a-pit, using the wrong wand/Potion/scroll you can imagine. (most items start off as unidentified, you have to, well, empirically test if that's a Healing Potion or a Potion of Living Flame)

The gameplay is pretty engaging. Scouring through the levels, fighting off monsters (there's a particularly annoying crab monster that reminded me of the Dnd joke in the title), grabbing loot and hoping it's not cursed.

Highly suggested to anyone that feels like trying it, I'm having a lot of fun. There are a bunch of "tips and tricks" i figured out but I'm too lazy to type them now.

So, anyone plays this?

My highest level dude was a Wizard, who died to the 15th level boss: ALMOST got him, too bad.

Winthur
2017-01-16, 12:54 PM
Unforgiving and brutal in the same way of Dark Souls (even though I never played any Dark Souls games), you feel cheated for every annoying death.

Would you say it's the Dark Souls of roguelikes? :smalltongue:

I have it and it's a nice effort, but I kinda can't get into the simplicity of the progression compared to PC roguelikes, somehow, and I don't play much on my phone anyway. I do think it's a good game; it's just that I already have a SHMUP on my phone and a N3DS with, well, better games.

But for what it is, Pixel Dungeon is recommendable and impressive. :smallsmile:

Gandariel
2017-01-17, 07:06 AM
Update: got to level 19 with an Assassin.

Between the ranged dudes whittling me down and the monks disarming me, I slowly ran out of healing options and succumbed

boomwolf
2017-01-17, 07:52 AM
Thought I'll give it a try.
Opened the play store, dozens of results....

What's the real one?

Gandariel
2017-01-17, 09:11 AM
Ha! I just found it under "most downloaded", but now I see there are a bunch more.

The game is just called Pixel Dungeon, from "watabou".

Over 1 million downloads, 4.2 score from 190k reviews. (This is from the Play store)

cobaltstarfire
2017-01-17, 09:34 AM
I keep dying of starvation. :(

I've made it to the floor with that really angry slime so far, so I guess sometimes the really angry slime kills me too.

Gandariel
2017-01-17, 11:21 AM
My tips for the level 5 boss:

-watch out, it heals when it steps on water
- use all your damage bombs/wands/seeds for extra damage.
- try planting the armor seed to get some extra armor in the turns in which you fight it in melee.
- when it gets !!!, it's gonna shoot a stronger attack. Move away / finish it /heal
- as Nicolas cage would say: "THE BEES! NOT THE BEES!"
Seriously though, the Honey Pot is ridiculously strong against bosses.

Btw small update: managed to survive through level 23 with a Mage. I unknowingly skipped a quest, so I missed out on the level 21 shop. Maybe if I had gotten some extra potions and stuff..

KillianHawkeye
2017-01-17, 11:22 PM
I was really into this game a couple of years ago. It's a pretty great Rogue-like and really reminded me of the original. Gets a little boring after you've beaten it a few times, though, but there's a bunch of modded versions I never bothered to try.

Gandariel
2017-01-18, 08:28 AM
*cries* beating it is still far away for me

cobaltstarfire
2017-01-18, 06:32 PM
I managed to get to level 10 today with a warrior.

Dying of starvation is still a constantly looming problem...among other things.

Gandariel
2017-01-19, 05:21 AM
What I've found is that starvation is the most "driving" force up to level 15.

Afterwards, it's the constant and relentless damage you start taking from the enemies that just depletes all your resources one by one.

Also, very important trick:
If you're standing on a door and take one step back you're "technically closing the door behind you", which means that if a minon follows you you have a Surprise attack on him (100%accuracy).

Basically, have the enemy chase you to a door and then you get a free hit on him. You can do this multiple times if there are more doors, but you run the risk of meeting a second monster.

Also, this doesn't work against double movement enemies (crabs), since when you move once they act twice

8BitNinja
2017-01-21, 11:34 AM
So, Pixel dungeon.

Discovered by accident, it's now by far my favorite phone game. And I don't really play on my phone.

It's a turn based pixel-y RPG. Procedurally generated dungeon, item upgrades, class system.

But. It's so fun!

First off, the game is ***hard***. Like, 85% of my characters didn't make it to level 5 (the first boss).

I've died from pretty much every monster, trap, Poison, fire, hunger, fall-off-a-pit, using the wrong wand/Potion/scroll you can imagine. (most items start off as unidentified, you have to, well, empirically test if that's a Healing Potion or a Potion of Living Flame)

The gameplay is pretty engaging. Scouring through the levels, fighting off monsters (there's a particularly annoying crab monster that reminded me of the Dnd joke in the title), grabbing loot and hoping it's not cursed.

Highly suggested to anyone that feels like trying it, I'm having a lot of fun. There are a bunch of "tips and tricks" i figured out but I'm too lazy to type them now.

So, anyone plays this?

My highest level dude was a Wizard, who died to the 15th level boss: ALMOST got him, too bad.

I played this game countless times. I've beaten it before as a Berserker. I have a brother who beat it as a Warlock and another who beat it as an Assassin. To beat it, you need a lot of luck, some skill, some common sense, and the mercy of the great and powerful RNG.

And sometimes, you have to realize that taking time to sacrifice at altars isn't worth it, especially when near the starving end of hungry or starving.

I think many people has stated this before, but it's actually a rougelike, not an RPG. That's why it's Dark Souls level hard.

Would you say it's the Dark Souls of roguelikes? :smalltongue:

All rougelikes are the Dark Souls of rougelikes.

cobaltstarfire
2017-01-21, 12:10 PM

Nah, some roguelikes are pretty easy, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, or Dungeons of Dreadmore.

Winthur
2017-01-21, 01:25 PM

Compare getting a YAVP in ADOM and in DoomRL.
Compare getting a YAVP in Nethack and in Tales of Maj'Eyal.

Gandariel
2017-01-21, 02:45 PM
This reminds me: I BEAT THE GAME!!

Run was with an Assassin.
The class ability was really really useful, as was the massively upgraded Plate Armor that I found early on.

I BLITZED through levels 22-24, I knew from my previous attempt that I was just depleting my resources there.

I ended up only having one wand, of Poison. Kind of useless lategame, but I kept finding more Wands of Poison (and one wand of Flock, which I threw in a well to receive a... wand of Poison).

Final boss wasn't even that strong.
Sure I needed a few potions and I finished out my assorted ranged weaponry, but it went down fairly normally.
I still stand by the fact that the hardest bosses are the level 5 and 15.

8BitNinja
2017-01-22, 08:23 PM
This reminds me: I BEAT THE GAME!!

Run was with an Assassin.
The class ability was really really useful, as was the massively upgraded Plate Armor that I found early on.

I BLITZED through levels 22-24, I knew from my previous attempt that I was just depleting my resources there.

I ended up only having one wand, of Poison. Kind of useless lategame, but I kept finding more Wands of Poison (and one wand of Flock, which I threw in a well to receive a... wand of Poison).

Final boss wasn't even that strong.
Sure I needed a few potions and I finished out my assorted ranged weaponry, but it went down fairly normally.
I still stand by the fact that the hardest bosses are the level 5 and 15.

That's why the most recommended strategy is to explore all the areas but the halls and then save up torches and scrolls of magic mapping. You then use those to speed right through the halls.

Believe me, you do not want to be flanked by an evil eye and a succubus