PDA

View Full Version : Best GoPro for Beginners?

Palanan
2017-01-16, 11:37 AM
I’d like to get a GoPro to help document some outdoor conditions, and I need advice on a good model for beginners.

I’ve never used one before, and I’m not sure if it comes with video editing software or if I’d need to get that separately. I’m also limited on the budget, so something $200 or less would be better. Is there a basic GoPro that would work for me?

kyoryu
2017-01-17, 05:15 PM
How long of video do you need to take?

MTB and DND
2017-02-02, 10:00 AM
I'm a mountain biker and use a Hero Session. It's actually not to bad for the price. It not as high resolution as the others but is the best for picking up the audio. And it has worked just fine for me. It is also water proof, it doesn't need a case to be waterproof.

Palanan
2017-02-20, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by kyoryu
How long of video do you need to take?

I really need this to record short interactions, usually under a minute, which happen frequently but unpredictably while I’m outside. I’m not sure yet if I’d want continuous recording over several hours, or if I should try to turn on the camera beforehand. I’ve never tried using one of these cameras before, so not sure what the best approach would be.

Originally Posted by MTB and DND
I'm a mountain biker and use a Hero Session. It's actually not to bad for the price.

Thanks, although unfortunately this is a little past my price limit. Ideally I’m looking for something in the $150-200 range.

MTB and DND
2017-02-23, 08:01 PM
Then the GoPro hero, or The Hero Plus would work. I think it has longer run time then the session. Thought if you want really good audio a session might be worth it for the slightly more expensive price. Although in shop.gopro.com it is exactly $200. What do you want it for, what are you going to do with it?

Palanan
2017-02-25, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by MTB and DND
What do you want it for, what are you going to do with it?

Without going into specifics, I need to be able to record some...unpleasant experiences that happen in an outdoor environment.

These things happen sporadically but all too often, and I need to be able to document the encounters.

MTB and DND
2017-03-01, 09:18 AM
Without going into specifics, I need to be able to record some...unpleasant experiences that happen in an outdoor environment.

These things happen sporadically but all too often, and I need to be able to document the encounters.

Well any of those two GoPros would work them. Although they take a few seconds to turn on.