PDA

View Full Version : Template Fluff on Perfecting a creature (3.5)

flappeercraft
2017-01-16, 12:40 PM
So at the moment I need some templates that are based on the concept of perfecting or improving a creature, not as in increasing numbers but the fluff of it mostly. I mean things like the Axiomatic template.

Khedrac
2017-01-16, 12:46 PM
Although it is very much a 'numbers' template, the paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) template is probably the primary one here - it is literally a paragon example of the species.

You could also consider monster of legend.

flappeercraft
2017-01-16, 12:48 PM
Although it is very much a 'numbers' template, the paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) template is probably the primary one here - it is literally a paragon example of the species.

You could also consider monster of legend.

Is there any LA for it somewhere?

Inevitability
2017-01-16, 12:56 PM
Is there any LA for it somewhere?

Paragon's LA can be deduced from the ECL of the paragon mind flayer, and officially is +11.

Monster of Legend got a LA of +7 in the MM2 update booklet.

Of course, I suggest lowering them if you are considering them for player use (though MoL and its free cleric casting are somewhat hard to balance).

flappeercraft
2017-01-16, 12:58 PM
Paragon's LA can be deduced from the ECL of the paragon mind flayer, and officially is +11.

Monster of Legend got a LA of +7 in the MM2 update booklet.

Of course, I suggest lowering them if you are considering them for player use (though MoL and its free cleric casting are somewhat hard to balance).

These templates are not for a player, they are actually for an NPC, that is why I wanted the fluff instead of the number increases mostly.

Inevitability
2017-01-16, 01:33 PM
These templates are not for a player, they are actually for an NPC, that is why I wanted the fluff instead of the number increases mostly.

Okay.

I wonder though, what's the LA for in that case?

flappeercraft
2017-01-16, 01:36 PM
Okay.

I wonder though, what's the LA for in that case?

I just like to stat things out and have the information in case it is needed on hand

Afgncaap5
2017-01-16, 02:40 PM
If you're okay with refluffing something, some of the templates or abilities that are associated with the Wedded To History feat might work nicely for a "perfected" creature. Can't remember them all off the top of my head, but I think one is, like, resistance to critical hits or backstabs due to your physiology being slightly different, there's another that lets your voice resonate with many constructs, things like that.

ShurikVch
2017-01-16, 03:51 PM
Are you familiar with Unique NPC Abilities from Dungeon Master's Guide II?
I think, some of them - such as Unearthly Beauty, Prodigy, Naturebond, Graced from Outside, Fey Spirit, or Divinity - may fit your request

Doctor Despair
2017-01-16, 05:12 PM
Unseeley Fey's Winter Chill ability could be refluffed for this pretty well, and at LA0 to boot

Zombimode
2017-01-17, 05:15 AM
I just like to stat things out and have the information in case it is needed on hand

But LA is ONLY relevant for PCs. Monsters and NPCs only care for CR.