PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warlock Familiars and the Etherealness spell

crouchingtabby
2017-01-16, 06:57 PM
So I'm in a 5e campaign and I play a pact of the chain warlock with Voice of the Chain Master invocation. I use the familiar a lot for scouting, since its vision can be shared anywhere on the same plane as my warlock.

We just hit level 13, though, so I just gained access to the Etherealness spell, and I'm not sure how the interaction would work with my familiar.

My initial take on it is that since my warlock would be traveling to the Ethereal border, that counts as another plane, so the immediate effect would be that communication with the familiar would be cut off. However, presumably the familiar could be temporarily dismissed and resummoned, at which point it would actually be in the ethereal border--meaning that it is now invisible and can pass through walls, making it an even more powerful scout than in the material plane.

Does this sound right? If so, what happens when the Etherealness spell wears off? Since the Etherealness spell was never cast on the familiar directly, does that mean it can just permanently stay in the ethereal border until I summon it again? (presumably this means it couldn't be communicated with until I went back to the Ethereal plane to check in).

Alternatively, if this isn't right, and the ethereal border is treated as an extension of the material plane, would that mean that I could essentially go into a location that my familiar would have trouble getting in to (such as places that are normally all sealed up) and "drop him off" by walking through the walls then summoning him to the material plane once he's inside so he can stay "on station" to spy on whoever needs spying on?

Which sounds right to folks (or is there another alternative?).

PS, Yes my GM hates me.

Millstone85
2017-01-17, 06:30 AM
My initial take on it is that since my warlock would be traveling to the Ethereal border, that counts as another plane, so the immediate effect would be that communication with the familiar would be cut off.That seems right. I know the Border Ethereal is something of a planar overlap, but I do think it counts as another plane.

However, presumably the familiar could be temporarily dismissed and resummoned, at which point it would actually be in the ethereal border--meaning that it is now invisible and can pass through walls, making it an even more powerful scout than in the material plane. I haven't seen much discussion on the ability to recall the familiar from anywhere, meaning I don't know if people have found reasons to restrict it. Personally, I think it should work.

If so, what happens when the Etherealness spell wears off? Since the Etherealness spell was never cast on the familiar directly, does that mean it can just permanently stay in the ethereal border until I summon it again?Er... I have no idea. But if it does work, let's not forget the Ethereal is not exactly a safe place. Sending your familiar there, all alone and without communication...

CursedRhubarb
2017-01-17, 11:38 AM
If you are a GOO Warlock the Ethereal Plane doesn't completely hamper your familiar being in the material plane. The Awakened Mind ability only requires you to be able to see your target and be within 30ft to talk to it telepathically. This can also be amazing for driving people mad as you can whisper in their mind while remaining undetected. But for your case, your familiar may not be able to communicate back but you can talk to it.