PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Witchwolf Bard: swords or claws?

Togath
2017-01-16, 11:16 PM
So I'm building a good aligned witchwolf/skinwalker bard for a Carrion Crown campaign. Strength over cha.
But I'm a bit torn about whether to use a manufactured weapon or my natural ones...
I mean, I have inspire courage, lingering sound, and perform: oratory, so I won't suck regardless of method(and have a party my song can buff the heck out of), but I'm curious what folks here think.
Natural weapons are cheaper to enchant, via amulet of mighty fists(+),
Have a cap of 2 attacks per round, or up to 3 with a feat(-),
Can't be disarmed or sundered easily(+),
Start counting as various metals once the amulet get strong enough(+).
But the amulet takes my amulet slot(-),
And using change shape on natural weapons prevent me using it for darkvision or the saving throw boost(-).

Level 1 stats are: 15 str, 10 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 9 wis(rising to 11 when using change shape), and 14 cha.
Traits are taken by knowledge skill related ones(teacher's pet and possessed).

Rundown of witchwolf: +2 con, -2 int, +2 wis(only while using change shape), +2 to perception and wild empathy(gm is ruling I can use the +2 and my cha mod for a sort of untrained-ish wild empathy), standard action to gain either 2 claws(1d4), 1 bite(1d6), darkvision, or a +2 bonus to all saves until dismissed(a feat can increase how many at once by 1 each time you take it), magic fang as a spell-like 1/day(only while shifted, due to my low wisdom), and lowlight vision.

Steven
2017-01-17, 12:05 AM
So I'm building a good aligned witchwolf/skinwalker bard for a Carrion Crown campaign. Strength over cha.
But I'm a bit torn about whether to use a manufactured weapon or my natural ones...
I mean, I have inspire courage, lingering sound, and perform: oratory, so I won't suck regardless of method(and have a party my song can buff the heck out of), but I'm curious what folks here think.
Natural weapons are cheaper to enchant, via amulet of mighty fists(+),
Have a cap of 2 attacks per round, or up to 3 with a feat(-),
Can't be disarmed or sundered easily(+),
Start counting as various metals once the amulet get strong enough(+).
But the amulet takes my amulet slot(-),
And using change shape on natural weapons prevent me using it for darkvision or the saving throw boost(-).

Level 1 stats are: 15 str, 10 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 9 wis(rising to 11 when using change shape), and 14 cha.
Traits are taken by knowledge skill related ones(teacher's pet and possessed).

Rundown of witchwolf: +2 con, -2 int, +2 wis(only while using change shape), +2 to perception and wild empathy(gm is ruling I can use the +2 and my cha mod for a sort of untrained-ish wild empathy), standard action to gain either 2 claws(1d4), 1 bite(1d6), darkvision, or a +2 bonus to all saves until dismissed(a feat can increase how many at once by 1 each time you take it), magic fang as a spell-like 1/day(only while shifted, due to my low wisdom), and lowlight vision.

You say "only" 2 or 3 attacks as a con. But as a bard you're going to have to be level 8 before you get two iterative attacks and level 15 before you get three. Haste and the like still grant you extra attacks.
Unless you want to use power attack with a twohanded weapon I don't see a downside to using natural attacks except for overcoming damage reduction etc. Plus, what's the point in playing a ware beast if you don't use your claws?

Togath
2017-01-17, 01:21 AM
Downside was "a feat, eventually" compared to a weapon.
Personally, claws and a bite are sounding pretty fun. Not only for their effectiveness, but also for the fluff.
Only downside: unless I want to walk around with claws and fangs bared, in a standard action to "draw" them.
Maybe sword for in-town to avoid any "what do you mean this werewolf is trying to save us from the werewolves?" issues, and bear my claws and fangs when in less civilian filled areas?

Florian
2017-01-17, 06:49 AM
Tough to answer, due to the nature of the AP and you not going to deep into what you actually want to build your bard for.
A lot of enemy types used here have fairly high and consistent DR types, which you should be able to consistently beat when they come up. Going for Extra Feature to gain three nat. attacks makes sense if you manage your AoMF wisely and also invest in some Weapon Blanche. You could also make a one-level dip into sorcerer to gain access to Enlarge Person and the Fire Magic feat.

Elricaltovilla
2017-01-17, 09:03 AM
Worth noting that AoMF caps at +5 while weapon enhancements go to +10 (+5 numbers, +5 "magic stuff").